Sequence Prefixes (Requesting them in ULM)

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Sequence Prefixes (Requesting them in ULM)

Postby Trylon » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:00 am

As JulyForToday already noticed in his post in the Age List Project thread, the current list of sequence prefixes is sort of a mess, in response to her idea of a central database, I added the following functionality (preliminary) into ULM Web interface:

- Sequence prefixes starting at 10 000 can be requested from the "My Profile" page.
- They can be requested in blocks of 1,2,5 or 10.
- You will always get the next (1,2,5 or 10) sequence prefixes available.

Before its actually used, I think we should decide if we are going to switch over to that system, as it will invalidate the alcugs list.

Comments?

EDIT:
I checked, and the list at alcugs does not list any sequence prefixes above 9999, so the invalidation of that list isn't really a problem yet.
Last edited by Trylon on Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Re: Sequence Prefixes (Requesting them in ULM)

Postby JulyForToday » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:50 pm

I'm very pleased to hear that your adding that into ULM. I'll be downloading the latest version soon!

Although...

in response to her idea of a central database

I'd like to take a moment to say I'm a guy. :lol:

The odyssey that is my name continues.. :-D

I never registered any numbers on the alcugs list. Honestly, the issue of registering numbers only becomes a problem when actually making an age public. The majority of the 'ages' registered on the alcugs list will likely not make it to public display. But registering a new number isn't so bad. Especially when no one will really see the number (ingame). It's just important to have good a system in place to avoid duplications.
JulyForToday

Postby Trylon » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:50 pm

JulyForToday wrote:I'll be downloading the latest version soon!

That would be unneeded, as the functionality is in the web interface, not in the client program. :)

I'd like to take a moment to say I'm a guy. :lol:
The odyssey that is my name continues.. :-D

Whoops, fixed that (sometimes net-handles can be a bit amiguous gender-wise :P)

The majority of the 'ages' registered on the alcugs list will likely not make it to public display. But registering a new number isn't so bad. Especially when no one will really see the number (ingame). It's just important to have good a system in place to avoid duplications.

Indeed.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Nadnerb » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:54 pm

That brings up an interesting question... Since SPs are only important for public releases, perhaps ULM registrations for sequence prefixes should 'expire' if there is no age released in a certain amount of time. That would free up numbers and prevent wasted SPs.

It's certainly not hard to reexport your age with a different SP if you have to re-register before making an age public, so for that matter, why not require that an age be submitted in order to register an SP to begin with?
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Return to General Discussion