D'ni Ages vs. Our Ages: Resolution

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

D'ni Ages vs. Our Ages: Resolution

Postby Whilyam » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:09 am

I recently PMed GreyDragon about a project for Subterranean Restorations regarding D'ni ages. Not sure if this is old news, but I'm happy whenever we get final confirmation :lol:

Yes, stay away from the past D'ni. You are the new writers of D'ni. The ages you write would have never been seen by the past D'ni members.

So if any Age is going to be "discovered", I think the best course would be to have discovered some other species/surface explorer's attempt at writing.

Though I would like to see a contest from Cyan to design a D'ni Age sort of like how people designed stained glass windows.
Whilyam

Re: D'ni Ages vs. Our Ages: Resolution

Postby Chacal » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:38 am

Let's hope they do.
Otherwise it's a little sad because it's a huge constraint for the backstory for our Ages.
Actually, it's a huge drop in motivation for me.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:09 pm

Consider all the possible backstories for age ideas that people could ever think of, then write them down somewhere.

...then, once you've finished (one google-plex years later), go back and remove the ideas that have anything to do with the D'ni. How many possible backstories are left? You're right: gazillions!

So, I just cannot see how not writing about the D'ni could be considered a constraint.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby andylegate » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:34 pm

Actually, I would have considered the other way around much more like handcuffs than anything: You HAVE to make Ages about the D'ni.

I do understand some people's dissapointment. A lot of you were and are eager to add to the world and history of the D'ni. Anyone with a good amount of interest would.
But Cyan made it clear: This is our playground, you can play in it, but you're not allowed to bring new toys, or change the playground.

Cheer up! This may change in the future, in that Cyan might need some of you to help them with stuff!

On the other hand, this throws the door WIDE open for just about anything else!

You, or a group of you can make up your own long lost empires, rich with it's own history, culture, details, launguage! Everything! There is no limit really!
Just for fun, you could make it a very technically advanced culture if you prefer, Think of a Serious Futurama!

The important thing is; it's up to you, or a group of you.

Thank goodness no one said: You have to use only D'ni stuff, about the D'ni, using D'ni things and history. Oh, by the way, here's a script, make sure you follow it.

While that would still be fun for others, I'm glad to see that we didn't get restricted like that.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Trylon » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:36 pm

We'd kinda be like Atrus - also writing compleately new ages, also discovering the art from scratch

If you look at what Atrus wrote, there are still way too much possibilities :)
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Chacal » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:40 pm

Actually it's that the whole concept of discovery is much more interesting for the backstory, because of the mystery.
There's not much mystery if (IC) you have written the Age yourself. Look how much Sharper's journal contributed to the story in Uru Prime.

What GD said goes beyond "writing about the D'Ni", he said the Ages had to be written by new Writers who are not D'Ni.
I hope we can make them change their mind.
Chacal

-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Aloys » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:57 pm

Because we are writing 'new' Ages doesn't mean there can't be any discoveries. Think of Atrus' Ages in Myst and his associated journals.. When he first linked to the Ages there were people, buildings, whole civilizations, and lots of unforseen surprises..
Discovery can be at the heart of our Ages; it's up to each Age's authors to decide what must be in the Age. As long as it doesn't relate to the D'ni history it can be essentially anything.
Aloys

Postby Trylon » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:01 pm

Aloys wrote: As long as it doesn't relate to the D'ni history it can be essentially anything.

Perhaps we could even tone that down to "As long as it doesn't rely on the D'ni history it can be essentially anything.
I mean, we still live in the cavern, right :)
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby andylegate » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:07 pm

Actually it's that the whole concept of discovery is much more interesting for the backstory, because of the mystery.
There's not much mystery if (IC) you have written the Age yourself. Look how much Sharper's journal contributed to the story in Uru Prime.

Uhm, no for the writer or writers there would be no surprises (OOC) as they are the ones putting stuff in. But for people testing and exploring, yes, it can be chock full of surprises and discovery, and even learning. (IC) yes, a Writer or Writes could ACT surprised about what they found in a Age via journals, notes, incavern meetings, etc.

So I'm a bit confused as to what it is you're expecting or expected Chacal, you wouldn't be surprised too much either even if it was the D'ni you were making, as you're the one putting the stuff in. You'd have to be the Explorer, not the Writer.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Chacal » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:30 pm

Aloys wrote:Because we are writing 'new' Ages doesn't mean there can't be any discoveries. Think of Atrus' Ages in Myst and his associated journals.. When he first linked to the Ages there were people, buildings, whole civilizations, and lots of unforseen surprises..
Discovery can be at the heart of our Ages; it's up to each Age's authors to decide what must be in the Age. As long as it doesn't relate to the D'ni history it can be essentially anything.

That I can live with. It is true that even the Writer can't foresee the dynamic content of the Age.
Also, some Ages have no influence on the official Cyan storyline. Rich D'Ni families had heirloom Ages for entertainment or study, we could do any of these.
Chacal

-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Next

Return to General Discussion