Introduce Yourself

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby Chacal » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:56 pm

Hello Writers,

Glad to have found this place, after all the shifting around of the age builders/crafters community. I've been lurking since 2004 but without contributing.

I had written a long presentation but I will hold it until I'm sure I can make a useful contribution to the community. Let's just say I used to make maps for 3D games some 12 years ago but now I have little free time.

Right now I have ideas for the integration of user content in MOUL, not a huge contribution but it's what I can do. I talked to some guild members (was it you Pryftan in the City when we were discussing with JD Barnes?) and the feedback has been good. I'll write a post about them soon.

For the first time I have the feeling we're heading somewhere. This forum is active, lots of people are writing Ages, and since episode 9 Cyan is clearly nudging us towards Age creation. "Find a way, make a home" refers to guilds and user content. Paradox and his team are working on H'uru Studio (maybe a little too secretly?). Ahra Pahts is reviving. The future looks bright!
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Nek'rahm » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:39 pm

Yea, hi, Nek'rahm here

Myst fanatic all the way. Honestly, best game series ever created (EoA could have gone without real-time stuff tho >>)

Well... moving on, I really just found Uru on Gametap a little while ago. I'm not anything of a blender, scripter, designer at all O_O Actually, I'm only just good at producing stories and ideas. I actually considered sending a storyline for Myst VI to Cyan *hehe*

I'm not an Uru Member... I don't have a KI number (yes, pathetic) and my online name is Staryoshi007

Yea, well, I'll be around the storyboard section... hehe, nice to see you guys ^_^

Always wondered tho... anyone know if UrU's Plasma Engine is available for moderation? Thanks anywho ^_^

~Nek'rahm

P.S. Yea, the name came from a self-designed character for my Myst VI playoff.
Nek'rahm

Postby rivenwanderer » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:10 pm

*waves* I'm rivenwanderer. I played Myst back in '94 or '95 or something and joined Rivenguild in early 2000. I've always been interested in Age creation first and foremost. I haven't played Myst V or Uru yet (but I will soon! I just got a new computer that can handle them!)... I sort of disappeared from Mystcommunity and so on once I went to college, but now that I'm done and have a job, maybe I'll be around a little bit more. I like using Blender (not so great at animating or realtime stuff, but I'm OK at still renders). I've only done one render of anything vaguely Myst-like in the last several years (though my stuff from right before I started college is still online also). I theoretically am a computer scientist or something, and I know a little Python (my day job uses Java).

I'm not currently working on any Ages right now (though I hope to be soon). I think that what I personally struggle with the most in creating Ages is developing a backstory of the inhabitants and explorers and so on. I may work on some contextless, uninhabited Ages just for practice, but putting together a story in which the Age is itself a character that interacts with the other characters within the story is sort of my ideal (reading From Myst To Riven especially convinced me of this). Maybe the solution is to find some character-driven story-writers to work with :)

I'm a little unsure as to whether this guild is meant for all Age-creating, or only that which can someday integrate into Uru itself (edit: Now I see that its focus is on the realtime, for-Uru ages)... I think I somewhat prefer the idea of working on prerendered projects (a la Ilathid), just because I'm a sucker for pretty rendering effects that take hours to calculate :p But I can also see the draw of Writing in-character, for other explorers in Uru, and I'm sure that once I have Myst Online running, it will seem even shinier.

Um, outside of Myst stuff, I live in New England, I'm a big dork who does stuff like squaredancing and D&D in her free time, I'm obsessed with purple, and I sometimes dabble in more physical creativity (painting, crocheting, bookmaking, wirebraiding, etc.).
Last edited by rivenwanderer on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
rivenwanderer

Postby Zalthor » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:33 am

Shorah fellow Cavern Explorers!

There was a time I thought I'd never get the chance again to utter those immortal few words. Still, here we are.

If you happen to be in the Cavern and spot me - Zalthor KI: 10304251 - please be sure to speak.

My Surface residence is in the UK, so frequently I'm running around the Cavern and all the Ages on my own, usually intent on my latest mission. It's true that I enjoy this, but there are times when a bit of friendly conversation would be nice.

I first bought a copy of MYST back in 1994. Yes, one of the original copies that runs on Windows 3.1. I still have the game, the box and all the bits, even the shop receipt, in pristine condition (don't you just hate obsessive people like that?). hehehe!

We then had what felt like a lifetime's wait for Riven. It knocked my socks off when it did finally arrive. I have to admit I openly cried as I helped Catherine, then Atrus to safely leave one of my all-time favourite Ages.

Rand Miller and the team are total perfectionists. Attention to detail was nearly faultless throughout and it's why, despite other gaming interests, I'm still a huge fan after thirteen full years.

I was lucky enough to make the Until Uru Beta. Apart from the lag and coming across all the ghost bodies of players who, by the time I came on line were parked up and their owners were in bed or at work, I was in heaven. I couldn't wait for the pathways to be cleared of rubble, buildings to be opened and a thriving community welcomed back into D'ni...

Well, it was a nice dream at the time.

I'm therefore really grateful to all those who campaigned tirelessly to get an online community going again. Slow, laborious, thankless work - but it's finally paid off. Thank you.

I've done a little bit myself by refusing to take down my extensive "All Things Uru" web site.
It plays a bit like the old MYST game [a point and click web site], although there are no fancy gifs or tricks...well...
come and see for yourself.

And here we are. Back in the Cavern - with a Guild itching to Create new Ages with their own back histories. Brilliant!

So what can I bring to the Restoration Guild of Writers?

Well, in the RW I am a published Writer and Poet. I've played around a bit with the construction set of Morrowind, been unable to do much with the one for Oblivion, but one thing I have noticed is that the mods that separate the good from the bad is just how well the written parts come across.

Are the dialogues written with correct spelling?
Is that sign post right?
What about the label on that box or jar?

All these things can make or break the rest of the authors superb mod-writing skills.

So that's what I bring to the table: Your very own in-house proof reader. It's not glamourous Age Building, more a support worker post.

I don't need to actually understand exactly what it is I'm reading, such as a back History, but what ever it is, it needs to be spelt consistently and correctly and, so long as you are working in the English language, I can certainly help make sure your dialogue work is as good as it possibly can be. I mainly work in British English, but if you prefer American English usage, that's cool too.

So, here I am - use my talents at will!

Best Regards
Zalthor - KI: 10304251
Zalthor - KI: 10304251

Reality is a nice place to visit but I couldn't want to live there.
Zalthor

Postby Aloys » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:46 am

Welcome to all the new comers! :)
(I've only been here for a couple weeks myself, but I do recognize some of your names from other boards)
It's always nice to see new faces around (and new skills, from those who want to participate in the existing projects).
Aloys

Postby Barbarra » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:59 pm

Hi everyone, I'm Barbarra. :D

I barely made it into the tail end of Prologue; I missed Until Uru because of computer problems. I jumped back into URU as soon as I heard about its revival.

I taught myself Basic from a Commodore 64 manual the first year it came out. I learned C++ a while ago, never used it for much. I know Photoshop. I have played around with Blender. I can write, and I can proofread.

Mostly I've been building, scripting, and texturing in Second Life as Barbarra Blair. In URU I'm in the Uru Obsession hood.

I want to learn everything. I've got a Python book, haven't started yet. I'm sort of waiting to see what specifications and tools Cyan provides. I need to learn some basic Flash animation for my day job (don't even ask--it is all very dull).

Eventually I'd like for game building to become my second carreer after I retire from my day job.
For right now, I see myself as more of the assistant type--I'm too shy to be a leader. Don't be afraid to ask me to do some trivial thing.
Barbarra

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:53 pm

Oh HAI!

The name's Johnson, Adam Johnson.

I first stumbled upon Uru back in the good old days of when Ubiru and Choru were running. At the time, I was unable to join due to system ineligibility, but I watched the DRC forums for awhile because the story was really awesome. Enter Feburary 2004, when everything was canceled, I sat back and waited for Myst 4 like every other Myst fan was doing. A year later, I finally get a computer good enough to play Uru and find out that Uru: Complete Chronicles exists... I had no idea that there was a single player version of the game :P. Anyway, I played it pretty quickly, loved it, and started haxzoring the mess out of it while I was waiting on my $6 to reach Kagi in California from here in Nowhere, Georgia via snail mail. After 2 months of fun in Until Uru, I started my own shard called the D'ni Safety Guild where I had all kinds of fun coding my own adminKI and importing PotS ages (though few ever saw them). Eventually, I was assimilated by H'uru and began helping out with the hacking effort then. I've grown a lot since then and am now one of the more knowledgeable people on Plasma (only a few community members and Cyanists outstrip me).

Besides from that, I've been playing trumpet since I was 10 years old and still am; in fact, I am beginning to learn how to play the German Horn (it's called French Horn in America... Which is technically incorrect, but, whatever...). Band is a pretty big part of my life, needless to say; I've been in Marching Band for 5 years, my Senior year in HS will mark the 6th. I recently received the All-Star Cast Award at the GHSA Region 2A-B A One-Act Play Competition where we performed A Nice Day in the Park by Ev Miller. I serve as an officer in almost every club/organization at school, since we are a small rural school, there aren't that many clubs to begin with, and I'm trying to make my college application look really good. I've been into Web Design and all of that prattle since I was 10 years old, and I have 5+ years of experience in PHP, which definately helped me learn Python, C#, and C++... I wouldn't say the same about X86. The lightbulb finally came on and I began to learn and understand X86 Assembly when I was 16; I am still learning more and more about it, but I feel that I am getting better.

That's all I can think of that you should know about me...
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby OnslaughtQ » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:03 am

Shorah!
I am OnslaughtQ. I've been a Myst player since the days of the original when it first came out. I loathe walkthroughs and rely on them as a last resort. Riven took me several years to complete, of off and on again playing, hoping to see something I was missing. Eventually I found it. Unfortunately, I kind out of fell out of the Myst franchise and didn't come back until the original Uru came out.

Well, several years later, I have now finally decided to join Uru Live and i am absolutely loving it. The promise of being able to create new ages is thrilling. The main draw for me to be a computer programmer was to be able to create fantasy worlds, more in depth than any I've ever discovered in any novels. So, I hope to contribute as much as I can to this Guild.

OOC experience, I have been a programmer since 1995 when I was first introduced to Linux. I have learned a lot independently and have finally made my way back to college at Ohio University in fabulous Athens, Ohio. I am in the Army Reserves as well and have so far been deployed only once and that was to Afghanistan.
And I think that's all there is to say about me at the moment. Again, thanks for having me in your guild!
OnslaughtQ

Postby ninjitsulegend » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:58 pm

Hey. My name is ninjitsulegend. Some of you may know me as legendary_gaidenmc from back on the old Guild of Writers site.

I hope to contribute to this site as a writer.
ninjitsulegend

Postby Singo Berta » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:27 am

Hi there!
I'm Singo Berta, known as Vivicus on the MOUL forums.
I found Myst about three years ago, and Uru about two years ago. When I finally found out about Uru Live, it had allready been cancelled. However, I managed to get in Beta, and have been in Live since last november.
I have been playing around with Age creation for some months now, but I can't say I'm very skillful :)
I know some things about modelling (by checking out internet pages, nothing proffesional), nothing about python, I know somethings about writing, and that is about it :)

Singo
Singo Berta

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion