Introduce Yourself

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby katreeny » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:44 pm

I'm Katreeny

I lurk a lot and post occasionally on the Uru Live forums, periodically take a meander through the MOUL - not nearly as often as I'd like - and would love to have the skills, time and ability to write custom ages. I work in software QA, which periodically eats my free time, plus I write novels. Haven't sold any yet, but I have sold several short stories. I was teaching myself Blender until I installed Ubuntu as a dual boot, and since then it seems most of my weekends end up with me spending hours tweaking my Ubuntu. Um. Can you say "geek girl"?

Anyway, I want to get started with learning to Write. I can visualize Ages easily enough, my modeling skills are... probably unmentionable, and I can't draw to save my life ;-)

Katreeny
Katreeny - KI 954782
katreeny

Postby Preachr46 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:51 pm

Hello;

I'm knowm as Preachr46 on most of the Myst related forums. I am soon to be 62 years old! ;)

I have been playing Myst games since March of 2000 and Uru Ages Beyond Myst since November 12th 2003. I wasn't in the original beta, but was in the first group to get into the first Live (Prologue). I have been back with the new MOUL since last October.

I am not an age builder, but I'm pretty handy with changing and modifying in game textures. :D
Preachr46

Postby Sinopa » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:50 pm

Hi I'm Sinopa (ki # 02989968) I'm 28 and currently going back to school for animation. (No career in the Mortgage Industry for me) I first played Myst in '94. Then Riven, Exile and Uru CC.

I mostly work with Maya and I can model, texture and animate with it. I know can import .obj into blender and I'm sure I can figure out what else I need to know. I haven't build an age yet, except to make a hill with a wall and walk around a bit. I hope to be able to learn more. I'm not good at story development so I hope I can help someone build their age.
Sinopa

Postby Aloys » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:23 am

Welcome to all the newcomers! :)

Message to Sinopa:
I have to give you a little speech that I give to all the people who try to work with a software other than Blender. :) Simply put: don't. Learn Blender. You will have to use it anyway to export your Ages for Uru; and while it is tempting to use a software you already know and then to import your work in Blender it will prove to be a source of frustration and of bugs. The import features in Blender are not always great, and most of the time the only thing you will be able to import properly will be the geometry. Textures and UV mapping don't always go through so you'll have to redo them. So my advice is that, unless you have some really complex modelling/mapping work don't use a different software. (Except if you are willing to redo the UV mapping). That said, AFAIK importing OBJ objects from Maya has never been tried so it might be worth a try. :)

Blender is confusing at first, it has a very 'unique' interface, but you will have to use it to create Ages. So you might as well go all the way and do everything in it. It'll be much easier for you. If you had the skill and patience to learn another 3D software (especially Maya) you can surely learn Blender. :)

If you haven't looked at it yet I suggest starting with the Wiki. It will give you all the basic knowledge you need to know to create Ages. Also you should take a look at [urlhttp://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro]this site[/url] which will give you the keys to Blender's interface and basic functions.
Aloys

Postby JayGee » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:56 am

Hi all. My name's JayGee (obviously) and I am a Mystaholic. I get goosebumps whenever I hear that there's another interview by Rand Miller and everytime I go to Best Buy I have to pick up and hold a copy of the Myst 10th Anniversary Edition to look at the pictures on it EVEN THOUGH I ALREADY OWN A COPY.

So enough of the geekyness. I'm gung-ho about the new guild system and I'm hoping to find my place among the writers. I've got lots of ideas for cool ages that I've been rolling around in my head for a long time and would love to share them with you guys once I have my thoughts in order.

I'm also willing to help anyone else with any project they might have just to get my feet wet.

Hope to talk to some of you soon!
JayGee

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby Inanna » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:02 pm

Shorah. I am Inanna of Myss Terrie's bevin. About ten years ago I worked as a content story writer for a computer game company (it went under but not because of my writing) and know a little of what such things entail. It is not easy. Knowing that, I have been working on story elements that involve some of my friends doing role-playing in specific story arcs meant to complement -- or at least not get in the way of -- whatever others are doing. I will happily collaborate with anyone in whatever way I can help.

Sorry, we had to move your post here, as this is the more appropriate place for it.

BAD
Inanna

To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven.

Chuang Tse
Inanna

Postby bongmaster » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:48 am

oops..

im bong :) aka Bongmaster :)

i'm here to try and make ages for folk :)

I do 3D, cg, and think of things and stuff :)
bongmaster

Postby darkling27 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:49 am

hey all ;)
im darkling27. I dont have a clue about 3D animation or modeling, but im trying to get the hang of it.
Im more of the ideas, design and story type of person. But one day i hope to make those ideas part of Uru :)
darkling27

Postby Skydiver Ech0 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:26 am

Greetings!

I joined Guild of Writers because writing opens the mind, heart, and soul to a broader universe; a universe that is exampled by the Ages of Myst. Would that we could link to worlds unchained from this existance. Happy to make the acquaintance of other writers. I wish I could write code, so that I could write new ages for URU.

I am as always,

The Lady Ech0

AKA Skydiver Ech0
Skydiver Ech0

Postby Tomala » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:38 pm

Hi. My name is Tomala.

There really isn't much to me... I'm just here. :lol:
Tomala

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion