Introduce Yourself

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby bluewyvern » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:22 am

Hi, I'm bluewyvern. I've been in D'ni for a couple months, been a fan for years and years. I have a pretty low profile and don't have a big name in the community or anything. I spend most of my time hanging out at MYSTcommunity. Actually, I spend most of my time being absent from MYSTcommunity, then coming back and being ubiquitous for a few months, just checking in to see if everyone's still there and arguing linking theory like the old days.

Like pretty much everyone out there, I'm pretty excited about getting the opportunity to learn the Art and write new Ages -- everyone has visions of their own Ages in their head, and I'm no exception. My technical skills are limited -- I once managed to make a decent, moody, if slightly rough-looking island in Bryce for a class in high school -- but I pick things up pretty quickly and I'm hoping that whatever tools we're given for Age creation are at least a little user-friendly. If not, I am ready to contribute concepts and designs, and my specialty is writing (that is, texts, stories, etc. -- not Writing). I already "wrote" some Ages in the simplest form available to me, as text descriptions. Even if I am not primarily a creator, I am also a wonderful, sensitive, and critical editor of existing works, so I can help to refine and improve existing and ongoing projects. I see my role being a sort of Interior Decorator of Ages. And I might even be able to do some of the construction work, provided Cyan gives us some kind of My First EZ-Power Tool Kit for Tykes, with bright primary colors in friendly plastic shapes and that sort of thing.

OOC, I spend a lot of my time collecting and playing both commercial and online "casual" games, Myst-style and other adventure games, and I have a fascination with world-building in general (not just physical aspects but cultures, languages, history, etc.), so I have a lot of experience with what goes into a good, immersive world.

So anyway, that's me and what I bring to the table. Looking forward to getting this started!
Concept, design, storytelling, editorial
KI# 05697413
bluewyvern

Postby Owehn » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:37 am

Hi everybody,

I'm Owehn. I joined the Uru community in mid-2004, just before UU came out (I remember being disappointed that I'd bought CC, as I'd heard it wouldn't work with UU). I've dabbled a few times with Age creation, and I do apologize if I was once involved with a project that fizzled out. (Mostly I've been involved with the community through the DLF - on that topic feel free to ask me any d'ni language-related questions.) I can use blender a little, and made some rudimentary Ages for my personal use in CC, though nothing even remotely sightworthy. :) That said, I've produced a bit of concept art, which I'll post over in the appropriate forum, and I would like to improve my modeling and texturing skills.

I hope you'll forgive me any questions that seem stupid or meaningless; I know I have a lot to learn!

Owehn
Owehn

Postby Baron » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:37 pm

Hi, I'm Baron. I started calling myself something else toward the end of Prologue, after someone expressed confusion about my name versus Sharper's nickname. That somehow doesn't seem to be a problem anymore, and I like being Baron, so I've switched back.

I'm capable of writing in-character journal entries. I think I'd be good at figuring out how to parcel out story elements into the various documents that (should) turn up throughout Ages. For me, the biggest disappointment in the current incarnation of Uru is the lack of story documents in the recent Ages.

I'm reasonably good at bitmap editing. I have some knowledge of Photoshop but I prefer Fireworks. I'd be willing to go out into the world and take digital photos of interesting textures.

I started to learn D'ni, but really just got far enough to be able to read/write the alphabet.

In the next week or two, I'll download Blender and see if I can make it do things.
Baron

Postby Kathryn » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:35 pm

I'm Kathryn and I've been a Myst fan of sorts for literally as long as I can remember, being only a few years older than the game itself. I've been in love with Uru ever since I got a computer that could handle it well into the D'mala period, though dialup still keeps me from being in the cavern for more than a few hours a week at best.

I'm pretty useless at the technical side of age creation. I have Blender and I've tried to work with it, but the most interesting thing I've been able to make is a severely contorted box. I'm attempting to learn, but between high school and before long college, don't expect the learning to go quickly. I'd like to think I can manage concept art, since I intend to be primarily an arts student. I'm curious about possibly providing things such as textures once I find out what I'd need to do.
Kathryn

Postby DaveRamos » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:20 pm

Hi Im DaveRamos

I've been an URU-fan since the prologue back in '04. Once they closed down, I was introduced to 2nd life, and found a group of other Uru-ites. We all wanted to keep URU alive, so we got together and tried re=creating URU there. I was one of the first to help start up the project. Mostly pre-visualization. If you haven't been to 2nd life to check it out, do so, they really did an amazing job recreating the bevin, and giving the feel of URU.

Anywhoo, I went to school for 3d animation. I've used Maya, Soft Image, Houdini, Flint. Although my life went down a different path, i still fiddle with 3d when I can. I currently used Blender. Once I heard that this was coming to reality, I was so excited!!

DR
DaveRamos

Postby ChaosSong » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:23 pm

Oh hi there!

Well I'm ChaosSong and unlike most the folks above, I have not been playing Myst etc... for a long time. I did play the original Myst in the mid-ninties and loved it, but never did play any of the sequels until very recently. I'm stilll learning D'ni culture, history, science etc... I lack any experence with texturing/graphics and I lack talent with music.

What I hope to bring to the table is a strong storytelling sense, good (text) editing skills, good people skills and lots of (RL) scientific knowledge.

Although I haven't been playing URU very long, I have lots of experience in Massive Multiplayer Environments and what kind of Guild System works and what fails and how to keep people focused on objectives. I consider myself a creative person and of course I have my own ideas to throw in the mixer for ages.

I read voraciously; I go through a book a week. I read Sci-Fi/Fantasy alot, I have a thing for ancient plays and ballads (i.e. Homer/Shakespere/Milton), when I read non-fiction it's usually Science, History, or Philosophy. What I really like about Myst/URU is the love of books that dominates the setting and the logicial/scientific nature of the various puzzles and gizzmos. I have written many a creative poem and story, usually just to get something off my chest - the prospect of age creation has me very excited.

So I'm the guy to talk to if you have Physics/Chemestry/Biology/Literature questions and would be willing to take on all sorts of projects when I find a need I can fill.
KI# 09575827
ChaosSong

Postby Goofy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:07 pm

Well I'm Goofy :) I'd say I'm no where near as educated as most of you from what you've posted, but I'm what you may call a Jack-of-all-trades. I'm not a programer nor a artist(well unless you like stick figure :roll: ). I've been around since prologue and I was even a UU admin for a time. I have ever myst game. I even have Riven for the playstation :). Main reason I'm interested in all this is because its a challenge and I love challenges. I've worked mostly with blender, but I've been messing with Bryce 5.5 and Gmax, Daz Studio 1.3 .

Since UU I've had several ideas floating around in my head of ages(I'm sure I'm not the only one). Most of them I know are beyond my skills, but would love to try to build them some day.

OH just a note, ICwise I'm really not interested in the Guilds, but OOC wise I want to do what I can to help. Well thats it for the moment.
We keep moving forward,
openning up new doors and doing new things,
Because we're curious... and curiosity keeps
leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Goofy

Postby Cross » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:12 pm

Well, i wasnt able to play uru live long ago when uru came out, but when i hear about it on gametap and all that i was glad and joined to play. i find interest in the guild of writers because i would like to learn how to program and other things. i have fiddled with Blender, but i dont know how to do much on there. so, by comming here i plan to help somehow, and learn.
Cross

Postby Jennifer_P » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:47 pm

Hi, I'm Jennifer P.
I played my first Myst game (the Myst Masterpiece Edition) a year or two ago, and I found it surprisingly enjoyable. Since then I've gotten part of the way through Riven (I'm stuck on various puzzles there at the moment and don't have much time to work on them nowadays, alas!) and part of the way through Uru Live (not enough time to finish, again). I like puzzles, mysteries, and beautiful scenery, but even more than that I like MAKING puzzles, mysteries, and beautiful scenery!
I have practically no 3D modelling skills at the moment, although I am learning OpenGL, a C/C++ polygon graphics program where you have to make your own interface window in code before you can draw anything. My first serious project (created last week :P ) was a linking book against the starry (there were 4 stars, if I recall. :roll: ) void. The book was perfectly rectangular, and incorporated 5 (yes, five!) different colors in its design. In the linking panel could be seen a blue sky and a white triangle which obviously depicted a snow covered mountain. This breath-taking masterpiece is the limit of my "3D" (it was a *cough* 2D pic in 3D space) skills for the moment. But I do know some C++, at least. I draw well and can do just about anything at a realistic level (although not always in color): animals (my favorite), plants, machinery, buildings, etc. I normally use pen, pencil, and colored pencil, because they are the simplest and cleanest to use, but I know Photoshop fairly well and I'm alright with computer graphics programs like Illustrator--although hardly an expert! I'm also very interested in languages, both created and real. I like to create my own scripts for fictional languages and I could create a language from scratch if I had a reason to. Finally, I enjoy writing, and can do multiple types: scientific, fiction, humor, essay, journals, etc. I can also make up storylines, scripts, and plots for IC Uru Live events, and do Uru Live acting.
At the moment I'm a concept artist for Ages of Ilathid (which I would love to have as part of Uru someday!) and I work on Uru storylines as part of Subterranean Restorations. In terms of scientific knowledge, my specialty is geology...so I'm always like, "ANOTHER giant crystal Age with glowing crystals that create energy from nothing and have impossible powers? How unrealistic!" :lol: (My apologies to the fans of giant crystal Ages)
To summarize:
Skills: C++, concept art, creative writing, IC events
Knowledge: Languages, geology
Jennifer_P

Postby Yali » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:38 am

Well, I'm sure most of you know me. I'm Yali, or on UO as Yali of Dyson. I've been a Myst addict since, oh, around 1994 when I was but 5 years old. (good number to start :D ) Ever since then I've spent most of my Myst playing time analyzing, deconstructing, and contemplating the art in each game - line by line, shape shape. That's been my utmost fascination with Myst - the science of design and form. Music has also been another strong interest of mine when it's come to Myst. Gotta love the Selenitic Mystgates! (both of them :D )

When I wasn't immersed in the D'niverse via PC, I was via my imagination. I'd go to camp and look at things and imagine Ages out of them. Designing worlds has been my main aspiration in life since I first played Myst way back when. Beyond that, storyline development, culture creation, music composition, and gameplay design have also been a high hope in my life, next to visual design.

Just glad to be here. :D
Yali

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion