Introduce Yourself

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby frankenscarf » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:05 pm

Hello everyone, I'm frankenscarf. (a.k.a A.Cameron or A'drian)
I've been in Uru since 2003. I used to be a member of the, now defunct, D'ni League of Activities. Adam Johnson and I brought you the, now defunct, Uru Day Planner, I've always been the head of the Ahyoheek Guild/Society, and I've been ready and waiting for this since early 2004.

What do I do? - Well, I've planned an entire Age, but only sketches and some quick mock-up models in 3DSMax. I've modeled some other areas and buildings with or without plans to develop them into full-blown Ages, etc. I model, and texture. Not at pro level, and I'd have to learn and re-learn some stuff to make sure it all ports over to Blender properly.

Examples - Some are obvious mock-ups, others a little more polished. The heek table is all original, build long ago in hopes of a standalone. ;)
frankenscarf

Postby boblishman » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:50 am

Hi guys,

I'm BobLishman (both in and out of the Cavern) and have been playing the Myst series since buying Myst in 1997. Myst was the first (and only) game I have ever played without using a walkthru (I didn't know they existed at the time or I'm sure I would have 'cracked' at some point). Anyhow, having been totally absorbed by Myst I then played the follow-ups as they were released. However, I never got involved with any forums until 2005 when I became fascinated (addicted to) by another game (too embarrassing to mention here) ... but, in my defence, what I became addicted to was the ability to create user content. That was when I got involved in their forum (even becoming a moderator at one stage) and community projects.

I learned to model and texture in Milkshape (it's a low-end Blender type program) and became quite prolific with my creations until the inevitable happened ... burn-out. After working on a "community" project for 3 months in 2006 I found that I had created about 80% of all the content and (I felt at the time) that other members were not being as contributive as they had promised and I became disillusioned. Anyway, to cut a long story short, (honest) my involvement with that community meant that I totally missed out on all the UU and pre MO:UL stuff. Although I had played the offline Uru & PoTs the online stuff had not happened at that time ... so I just presumed that there was nothing going on online. Then, in January 2007, I stumbled across the MO:UL beta and signed up... and now, yes, you've guessed, I have a new obsession......

Despite what you may think, (having read what I've already written) I really DO like being involved in community projects. My experience with my previous community however means that I now know exactly how I want my involvement to be... and to what level. I really do not want to get 'burn-out' again so I'm going to be much more careful this time (for the sake of longevity).

I opened Blender for the first time about 3 weeks ago ... and headed off to the Alcugs tutorials (with bated breath and a pounding heart) to start work on my first Age... whoooa....steep learning curve!!

Unlike my other game involvement - where the creations (mostly objects) are 'cloned' from existing objects and then re-worked and then dropped into the game ... I found that Age creation is a whole new ballgame. In Age creation you have to create EVERYTHING ... so, like I said , steep learning curve.

What is fascinating me now is, is that the Age creation process is more like film-making (something that I always wanted to get involved with but never did)... where you have to not only create the 3D models but also light, 'direct' (cameras), costume (textures) etc., etc ... so it is a much more complex process than pure meshing & texturing.

I am very interested in working with other people on a project. Having beavered away for the last three weeks I have decided to upload my (rather raw) efforts to the ULM for others to see. This is to give you an idea of what I have learned so far. You will see from the Age (Paah'kwey) the progress I have made in a short few weeks and it's primarily there to show my commitment to Age building... not as a 'stand alone' creator, but as a team player who wants to get involved.

I know my weaknesses (imagination/ideas/creative input) and my strengths (commitment, output, deadline achieving, attention to detail) and realise that I need the help and support of other more experienced members to improve my skills and level of knowledge. (If you visit Paah'kweh, you should be able to see how my skills have developed from the link in point and 'skybox' which is very crude, to the underground room which has lighting and shadows etc ....)

Like I said, this is only three weeks work and no where near the standard that I want to achieve... which I won't be able to without your generous help.

I look forward to being able to work with you guys... and a huge thank you to those of you who have already helped me to get started.

If you see me in Cavern, please give me a shout (Ki # 02037973) or would like me to help out with anything then please pm me on any of the various forums that I'm now registered with (all as BobLishman).

Bob
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Postby Kri'astus » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:30 am

Hi, I'm Kri'astus.

I've been playing Uru since the original release, although I never did get the chance to experience the multiplayer aspect until D'mala were opened.

I'm an 2d/3d artist whom always wanted to "write" his own ages. I've been primarilly doing this for other games, such as Doom and Doom3. (mostly because there's never been any tools to work with any of the myst games that I'm aware of.)
I'm generally keeping a rather low profile in Uru, in part because I so far doesn't really know anyone specific yet. Hopefully that will change now that my true obsessions Myst and architectual design... is merged. :D

I really would like to explore the possabilities of making my own ages for Uru, but at the same time I can't be sure I will be able to commit the time require for it. I will however stick around to make sure I don't miss the opportunity if I do however.

Now on to some posturing. :p

The computer programs I use are:
Luxology Modo 203 (all things modeling)
3d studio Max 7 (mainly for rigging and animating these days)
Photoshop CS2 (mostly for textures, although I can't say I enjoy making them)
Scite (I use this whenever I script, however this is by no means something I consider myself excelling in)

Aditionally, I use real life tools such as:
Digital camera - Canon EOS 350D
Oil/Temper/Aquarelle painting tools
Coal (compressed and natural in unison)
Clay

My biggest strengths are:
My versatile nature, as an artist I can do many different styles and mediums, and still have a personal expression in all of them.
I'm very experienced in computer games design (15 years of amateur game design)
2 years of Art-shool in my backpack.
I work hard and I'm meticulous
I have many times over experience of releasing finished work (something that can be harder than it seems)

My flaws would probably be:
I don't have nearly as many hours on the day as I would like.
I'm already leader/coordinator/leveldesigner/modeler/etc in a large project for Doom3.
Kri'astus

Postby Kedri » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:05 pm

Hi, all! I'm Kedri! :)

Was around back in the early days of age building, quite enthusiastically, I might add. Unfortunately, I've been thrown off the trail by all the forum switching and whatnot, but here I am again! And it's great to see you all! :)
Kedri: Modeller and writer. KI# 72427
ImageImageImage
NaNoWriMo '07!
Kedri

Postby LaReh » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:52 pm

Shorah! I've been around since I first played Myst in 1995. When Riven followed in 1997, I became a regular in Cyan-related online communities like Cyan Chat, RivenGuild, and MYSTcommunity. Played Exile while waiting for Mudpie (now UrU) and was delighted to become an Ubiru UrU beta tester in August of 2003. A founding Guild Master of the Guild of Greeters, I am now more interested in helping to create Ages than in titles and structured duties. A member of Prologue and Rehearsal shards, I immediately joined the Until Uru shards after the fall of Live and have some great memories from those days (Go Slackers!). As a beta in the new MOUL, I was boxed out by the AGEIA PhysX problem after Build 8 and although I prepaid for the year in GameTap was unable to play until August of this year when my family got me a new laptop for my 53rd birthday.
Known as a creative and imaginative writer, I hope to be able to help in the creation of new Ages for MOUL. I have already posted an outline of my first Age Eder Berovah elsewhere on the forums. Go read it, see what you think and if you'd like to help bring it to reality, PM me or start a thread.
KI 8907958
LaReh

Postby Kedri » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:04 pm

Welcome, LaReh! :D
Kedri: Modeller and writer. KI# 72427
ImageImageImage
NaNoWriMo '07!
Kedri

Postby Aloys » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:35 pm

Hi there,
I'm hu.. Aloys, and somehow I think this is the first time ever I post in one of those 'introduce yourself' threads..
I'm 29 (ugh), I live in France, I've been part of the Myst/Cyan community on and off since around 2000, right after we all survived the end of the world and the Y2K bug. I've been through most of the boards (but never been a big CC user), for a while I was an active UruObsession contributor, I worked at Ubi during the Prologue days, and over the years I participated in or initiated many projects; and at times I even managed to complete some of those.

I've been part of the whole Age creation effort thing for a while, and as much as I was interested in this initially I had my doubts that the COBBS gang would be able to completly pull it off whithout Cyan's help. Needless I was totally stumped when two years Ago the first tool to create Ages was released. And since that day they have never ceased to improve the tools. "Never say never". I am excited that Cyan finally seem to go down the Explorer-written Ages path, as I think this is the way to go. And I think this is our duty and pleasure to motivate them by making great Ages. I'm really eager to see how they will handle this. (Now if only they would release their tools..)

My skills lies essentially in all things visuals (Web Design, all kinds of visual design, 3D), eating all the time while somehow staying slim, and missing deadlines. These days I work full time on Ahra Paths, one of the most exciting projects I've worked on. (And I hope to have that Age complete as soon as possible so I can finally complete the other Ages I've had on the back burner for a while.)
Beside Myst/Uru I play many video games (I'm a big Nintendo fan), I love video games because they allow me to see and experience things otherwise impossible, I collect artbooks and european comics; and if someday I put my hands on 15million euros I will create a studio to develop real-time3D graphical adventure games and I will need to convince Cyan to let me do RealRiven. Eeek. I might call the studio PinkPlanets.
Also I can be quite verbose when I write so I will stop here. :)

BTW, nice forum you guys set up here; good job. 8-)
Aloys

Postby LaReh » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:08 am

Welcome Aloys! Great to see so many familiar people showing up! Things will be getting exciting now! :D
KI 8907958
LaReh

Postby jordd » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:26 pm

hello everyone
my name is jordd

I have been following the myst trilogy for years and I am happy that URU live is finally out.

i have several age ideas that I will post soon

i have some experience in blender
____________________---_________________---_________________---_______________---_______________---______________---______________---
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
its a real word :)
jordd

Postby Calla Ayden » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:44 pm

Hey guys,
I'm Calla and I'm new to MO:UL but not to Myst itself.
I'm a writer by nature so if anyone needs any cool sounding dialouge or anything, let me know. I'm really excited about working with everyone and if you see me around the Cavern, don't be afraid to say hello.
Thanks. :)
Calla Ayden

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion