The 'Language Translation Problem'

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: The 'Language Translation Problem'

Postby Nadnerb » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:53 pm

there's nothing worse than the tons of little arbitrary regulations that rule-makers create to try to replace commonsensical behavior.

I'm adding this to my list of truth-quotes. This sort of thing happens too much. We should enter this process with an open mind, and deal with problems if and when they appear.

Less rule debating and more concept art.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Erik » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:01 am

Trylon wrote:
Erik wrote:EDIT: I just looked in the ULM and it says that Jonae's Age is Deutsch (German!), and not Dutch. ;)

That's what I said :)

I seriously doubt that many ages will be written in actual dutch :P

Sorry, I somehow missed your post about that completely! :oops:
I agree with you that it is more likely that Dutch Ages will contain English texts, as most Dutchmen are able to speak and write English quite fluently. Also, there is hardly any documentation about Blender in Dutch, so Dutch Age Builders are required to have a good knowledge of English anyway. :P

Though I won't completely exclude the possibility of Dutch Ages... Most Dutchmen know English quite well, so that makes it quite hard for Dutchmen who don't speak English to don't feel too left out. There could be a simple Age to contain journals by Dutch people example. Just to include the whole community and to give everyone a taste of Age building. I've already noticed that some Dutchmen don't understand the story due to a lack of knowledge of the English language, and they don't really dare to ask any others about, because the others don't have a problem with English.
An example... Sometimes I ask on a public forum if there's a need for a translation for something and I don't get any replies. But when I take the initiative and translate a text, I will get that all kind of replies (mostly by PM in-game) that they understand the text much better now.

This is a bit off-topic, but I kinda let myself go ... :oops:

/me seals his lips
Erik

Postby JulyForToday » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:51 pm

I apologize for saying it was Dutch. Again, I only know English, so I really can't tell the difference. I was only using it for an example.

And I would like to say that I was in no way advocating restrictive rules for anything. I was simple putting out an idea for how we can keep things working in a realistic way IC and make things more accessible. I'm not going to say that the creator of an age (like Jonae) is required to write translations in English, Spanish, or any other language. But some people may want their age to accessible to more audiences, and willingly provide translations for multiple languages, and other people may volunteer to do such work. What I was suggesting earlier was a way in which translations could be provided so as not to clash with the 'realism' of the game.

And I like your idea Goroboy. I hadn't thought of that before. But then Laxman takes forever, so maybe the KI isn't best. I was picturing where you'd see a text in a different language, choose to 'translate' it, and it would give you a very brief 'translating..' or 'decoding...' message (to imply the passage of time) and show you the translation. I'd personally prefer a pen and paper sort of feel to it, but either one is in character, which is the idea.
JulyForToday

Previous

Return to General Discussion