UU discussion

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

UU discussion

Postby BAD » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:44 pm

*Ahem*

Edit: Just a note that this was split from this discussion on MOUL security.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Re: MOUL security discussion

Postby Marten » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:56 am

Even that information isn't entirely accurate, BAD. As I recall, the official Untìl Uru server code (not Alcugs) was not ever "open-source".

*shrug*

When I first read Chacal's opening post, my first thoughts were: "And a pony!". Then I thought, "No, I won't post that. The first responses to this topic look like they're constructive and this is going somewhere." But alas, the discussion eventually devolved into a bunch of grave-digging and bone-slinging, as people who've been spurned by Cyan for whatever reason in the past quickly stepped up to remind us all how charitable they are and horribly they've been treated.

I really don't know what to expect. I'm skeptical of Cyan being as open as Chacal would hope... but on the flip side of the coin, perhaps Cyan will be more co-operative if they can find a group of talented volunteers whose egos aren't over-sized and/or easily bruised. I know there are some people with those traits among the writers.
Member of Guild of Messengers - Unless otherwise stated, opinions are mine only and not Guild endorsed.
Rel.to - Your Link to All Things D'ni
Marten

Postby Tomala » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:03 am

But alas, the discussion eventually devolved into a bunch of grave-digging and bone-slinging, as people who've been spurned by Cyan for whatever reason in the past quickly stepped up to remind us all how charitable they are and horribly they've been treated.

You're right. We shouldn't remember what we lost. It's better to forget everything.

Now what were we talking about? :shock:
Tomala

Postby Trylon » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:07 am

I don't know ;)
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Chacal » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:07 am

I believe we were talking about the future, before we reversed direction.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby semplerfi » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:53 am

Marten wrote:but on the flip side of the coin, perhaps Cyan will be more co-operative if they can find a group of talented volunteers whose egos aren't over-sized and/or easily bruised. I know there are some people with those traits among the writers.

Flame bait ... :roll:
semplerfi

Postby BAD » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:08 pm

Marten wrote:Even that information isn't entirely accurate, BAD. As I recall, the official Untìl Uru server code (not Alcugs) was not ever "open-source".

*shrug*

When I first read Chacal's opening post, my first thoughts were: "And a pony!". Then I thought, "No, I won't post that. The first responses to this topic look like they're constructive and this is going somewhere." But alas, the discussion eventually devolved into a bunch of grave-digging and bone-slinging, as people who've been spurned by Cyan for whatever reason in the past quickly stepped up to remind us all how charitable they are and horribly they've been treated.

I really don't know what to expect. I'm skeptical of Cyan being as open as Chacal would hope... but on the flip side of the coin, perhaps Cyan will be more co-operative if they can find a group of talented volunteers whose egos aren't over-sized and/or easily bruised. I know there are some people with those traits among the writers.

First of all no one said it was open source. Where are you getting your information? A small number of fans were allowed access to the UU server code before it was released to test them and help fix some bugs. End of story.

Now the second part.

Were do you get off coming here and accusing us of such things? No one was going on about being mistreated. YOU are the one who decided to bring that up. In a rather rude way I might add.

We simply wanted to make sure that we learn from past experience (you know, actual experience dealing with Cyan). No one was going on about mistreatment.

Please next time you decide to post about this, I would recommend you think before responding.

This is your thread now Marten. Enjoy it. We'll be elsewhere making ages.

Edit: I reread the article......

The Shard servers were open source. IE open to download and use for free. It was open source because you basically had to compile it completely by yourself. They were not refering to the development of the Auth or Data servers at all.
BAD

Postby Marten » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:49 pm

BAD wrote:The Shard servers were open source. IE open to download and use for free. It was open source because you basically had to compile it completely by yourself. They were not refering to the development of the Auth or Data servers at all.

BAD, you're confusing the official shards with the Alcugs shards. There was no compiling for Until Uru. The official shard software was binary - precompiled. Cyan never provided source. And really, that is an important point to the other conversation considering the argument about whether Cyan would ever open their API (it supports the position that Cyan will keep things closed). But now, you've pulled a relevant point out of that conversation because you were angered by my second point.

BAD wrote:We simply wanted to make sure that we learn from past experience (you know, actual experience dealing with Cyan). No one was going on about mistreatment.

Right, right. The following statement contains no discussion of mistreatment:

Hoikas wrote:They do not accept outside help unless they want to screw you over. I speak from personal experience, but (unfortunately) cannot legally tell my anecdote about that.

None whatsoever, I agree completely. You win, you're the moderator.
Member of Guild of Messengers - Unless otherwise stated, opinions are mine only and not Guild endorsed.
Rel.to - Your Link to All Things D'ni
Marten

Re: UU discussion

Postby BAD » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:57 pm

I'm not confusing them. I simply was a bit confused about what it took to get an UU shard running. I haven't looked at how to do that in years, so pardon my exuberance.

It was difficult to set up a UU shard, and what I really was confusing was setting up Linux to run the shard. Some distros required compiling your own.

I seemed to have forgotten Hoikas' statement there. (actually I thought it was in a different thread)

Other than that no one else has said anything negative about Cyan, and I still think it was unfair of you to dwell on that one post.

I don't ever claim to be perfect, or know exactly what I am doing all the time, but I don't think it is fair of you to use my job as a mod here as a personal attack. The thread got off topic so I split it. Was that incorrect for me to do? Is it possible for you to post your thoughts on the topic in that thread also? I believe you can.
BAD

Re: UU discussion

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:08 pm

Marten wrote:When I first read Chacal's opening post, my first thoughts were: "And a pony!". Then I thought, "No, I won't post that. The first responses to this topic look like they're constructive and this is going somewhere." But alas, the discussion eventually devolved into a bunch of grave-digging and bone-slinging, as people who've been spurned by Cyan for whatever reason in the past quickly stepped up to remind us all how charitable they are and horribly they've been treated.

Why should we expect change from a group which has shown us day in and day out what they will do with outside help?

I see no need to continue with fruitless attempts to garner support, help, nor anything else from Cyan. They have done nothing but hurt Age Creation since the whispers of Uru Live's return came to the surface. I hope that you will forgive my pessimism, but I have dealt with more than you have on the subject and know what I speak of.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Next

Return to General Discussion