UU discussion

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: UU discussion

Postby Dovahn » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:12 am

belford wrote:"If we want to be recognized as a guild, we will have to be able to speak as a guild."

I agree with that statement.

So, I believe we don't want to be recognized by Cyan as a guild.

(I've really been saying this all along, in an indirect and not-very-clear way. If you think I'm backpedalling on my support or enthusiasm for the Guild, please ask me for the long-form explanation, because I'm not.)

See, here's my problem with that sentiment: URU is a game. There are two distinct routes that this group could take (as I see it); the D'ni-Guild path, where we become the modern-day Guild of Writers complete with IC clothing, etc. Otherwise, we could be the group of programmers-artists that create 3D models in our time off and upload them to Cyan's great game server.

As I see it, the spirit of URU lies with the first one, because we are playing. I mean, if you want to develop a game, work for a game company! I don't think we are a game company, I think we are playing the game, and we just happen to be using the tools that we do to do so.

So by *not* having us recognized as an IC-Guild, which (as I think you say) is not the important part (correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you say that the important part is creating ages) we are not players in the game. We suddenly become developers.

What I mean by this is that yes, there certainly is that other way to look at it: that we are purely OOC developers, and if that is true, I agree with you, belford, that we don't want to be a Cyan-sanctioned "guild". But my personal belief is that we are a D'ni Guild by definition, and that we should play-act as one. I want to reinvigorate the ancient art of a forgotten civilization. If all I wanted to do was make 3D models and walk around them on a computer, I could do so without URU.

If I came across as attacking your idea, I apologize and I probably need to clarify something (Ditto if I misinterpreted what you were saying - just let me know and I'll correct myself).

Dovahn
Dovahn

Postby Chacal » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:11 am

There is room for the two visions. I'm sure there are some here that will, like you, enjoy being a part of the IC guild.
Personally for me this is all OOC. I want to make Ages in which other players will go and be amazed.
Like an architect in real life, I want the ooooh and awww factor.
When I discovered that (doing DOOM and Quake maps back in the ol' times) I was hooked.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby BAD » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:28 pm

belford wrote:"If we want to be recognized as a guild, we will have to be able to speak as a guild."

I agree with that statement.

So, I believe we don't want to be recognized by Cyan as a guild.

(I've really been saying this all along, in an indirect and not-very-clear way. If you think I'm backpedalling on my support or enthusiasm for the Guild, please ask me for the long-form explanation, because I'm not.)

I would say your opinion is a severe minority. We can discuss this in another thread, if you wish to explain your opinion more clearly.

This Guild will be (in essence) split in two. There will be ways to be a guild member participating IC and OOC. Most IC players will be required to deal at least half the time in an OOC way, but IC is definitely not out of the question.

This forum will have to be predominantly OOC though. there just isn't anyway around it.

We have a distinct advantage over UU in this way. UU was basically wild country. Anyone could do anything they wanted. Many people were very happy with this (myself included), but there was a sizable group who were against ruining the IC sense of Uru. This group will have the distinct honor of pleasing both sides. We can do wattever we please for offline players, and also build well planned ages for addition to MOUL for for those who wish to stay IC.
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby Paradox » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:45 pm

BAD wrote:. . . build well planned ages for addition to MOUL for for those who wish to stay IC.

Isn't that the goal both IC and OOC? :P

Most of the Age Creation work itself will always have to be OOC (unless someone comes up with a very unique IC explanation for Blender). However, it's also important to keep enough of the Guild work IC. We want to remain IC as a Guild for interaction with the DRC and other IC storyline elements. IC, we will need to spread the word about the Ages that we have started writing, and we will need to come up with a good history for the Guild and its members (how they discovered the Art, etc.).
Paradox

Previous

Return to General Discussion