Blender: Windows ME, No Internet.

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Blender: Windows ME, No Internet.

Postby Chacal » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:31 pm

Maybe you can work as a team. Bring his ideas to life.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Justintime9 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:52 am

true... that's what we might do if it doesn't work... but he doesn't come over very often, and I still don't know everything about blender, and I was hoping he would do the tutorials, and get farther than me, in which case, he could help me :P but... i dunno
Justintime9

Postby Goofy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:49 pm

Ok Windows ME does support usb, but I'm not sure which it supports. Most newer usb jump drives are usb 2.0. If his computer is older then 2001 then most likely any newer usb drives(jumpdrives or devices) won't work. Also If his CD drive is an old CD drive the newer CD-r and cd rw disks may not support them.

your best bet is if either of you have a zip drive. its simular to a floppy drive, but bigger disks and it connects to the printer port and is external sometimes. You can use that.

if not then as someone else said I doubt it will work.
We keep moving forward,
openning up new doors and doing new things,
Because we're curious... and curiosity keeps
leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Goofy

Postby Chacal » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:57 pm

Usually a USB2 device will work on a USB1 port, only with a reduced transfer speed.
Chacal

-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Justintime9 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:14 pm

Well, it just dawned on me that perhaps a Floppy disk would work, (my dad has a ton in his desk drawers, and doesn't mind if i use one... now, the newest ones I could find were some 18mb ones... and the ones with more space, are too small :P when i tried to put the Blender Install Files onto the Floppy, it said that there's not enough space on the Disk! What should I do? is there a way to make the file not as big, so i can fit it in a 18mb Floppy disk? or is there a lesser version of it that isn't as large a file, that might work? anyone got any Ideas? :| I'll try the Flashdrive, and the Floppy when I get to his house... and hopefully one will work.
Justintime9

Postby Chacal » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:19 pm

Floppies formatted for PCs were 1.44 Megs.
Say, does he have internet on that PC? You could download the files.
Chacal

-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Vamp » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:24 pm

... You tried to shove it onto a floppy?! :shock:

I'm not sure there's a way to reduce the size of the file itself, however you could always try zipping it up.

Honestly though, you should use Floppy disks for storing small things like pictures and text documents, not bigger programs like the Blender.exe file...
***Art is both witnessed and the witness. It expresses a deeper truth.***
Vamp

Postby Tomala » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:50 pm

Suggestion:

Measuring a file before moving it to a new destination helps. Remember to measure the destination too to make sure you have room.
Tomala

Postby Pryftan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:46 pm

Man, I dealt with Windows ME for years and I whole-heartedly believe it is the worst operating system ever officially released. But CD-Rs should work fine, if normal CDs work. Never heard of an 18 mb floppy. There are zip disks, but that fad didn't last too long.

There are tons of things you can do. You could try networking it to another computer or laptop. If there's an integrated modem, hook up a phone line, sign up for a free dialup Internet service, and just download it off that. Flash drives should work fine as long as the physical USB ports are present. If he has USB and flash drives don't work, you can use an external hard drive, which I can't imagine won't work. Or hell, hook up a new internal hard drive, if you know what you're doing! There's plenty of options.
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby Justintime9 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:14 pm

ok, I just met him for the first time since he origionally told me that blender didn't work... but he says that he actually did get it to work (haleluja) but... Argh, his version of adobe acrobat isn't up to date, and the tutorials I put on the disk with blender (noob to pro) dont work... now, what I could do is just copy and paste it all in a .doc document... but then I wouldn't have pictures, and would be very hard to follow... does anyone know any easier way to get a copy of noob to pro in a .doc document or something? if he doesn't have a tutorial, he'll never be able to figure it out on his own :P
Justintime9

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion