Prison Age - External Request

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Prison Age - External Request

Postby Geckat » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:07 pm

I was contacted just now by a Maintainer interested in constructing a Prison Age. I agreed to help with sound effects, and I also asked if he wanted me to present the idea to the Guild of Writers. So...here this is.

I think the team he has right now is very small. The organizer is called Valdez, KI 00148197. He doesn't know how large he wants the Age to be, but I don't think he'll get terribly far if he's just got Maintainers and his neighbors. This'll probably be a small-scale project. I'm hoping as many people as possible can get together and get this finished, partially because the inter-guilds thing would be kind of neat, and partially because this is our chance to expand our manpower in the construction of an Age, and prove that we are capable of churning out finished projects at outside demand.

At the moment, they need programmers, artists (both texture and 3D), and probably more for sfx. Reply here and contact Valdez so both sides know who to count on :) .

.Bodosehlehmah
Last edited by Geckat on Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geckat

Re: Guild of Maintainers Prison Age

Postby Nek'rahm » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:38 pm

errrrrrrrrr

Gahreesen and Teledahn DID serve as Prisons... :S

Gahreesen's whole upper level is a prison facility. I don't know if you'll get much help with this project, but good luck :)
Nek'rahm

Postby Valdez » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:54 pm

I don't care if there are already prisons. This is a chance to get some of the guilds to colaborate and show Cyan we are working guilds! If we can make this age like Cyan would use almost all of our current guilds that would mean something to Cyan. Please, please, please help us with this, the current writer with whole age in his mind is splash1 (477225). I would appriciate it if you guys could help! I want Cyan to see we are working guilds. And I have several other writers helping me, but I need ones that can program and 3d model.

Your Greatful Maintainer,
Valdez
Fighting, Horrible disposition to others based on beliefs... What's the point anymore? Was there ever a point? Dead is what it is and always will be until peace is achieved through everyone.
Valdez

Postby Justintime9 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:49 pm

I'll try to help... now, first of all, we need to make a Linking room like in MYST 4... and... i dunno... do u want it to be dreary and dark? or just lonely? I could probably try making a link in hut (it'll be fun to have an excuse to revisit myst IV andyway) and... I can texture to a point... if we need a swim region, I can do that... and, we'll need a good lighter (most of my ages don't work out, cuz I can't figure out how to change the lighting :P) but wait... we can't make the link in hut exacly like in myst IV... that was an Invention that atrus came up with... and as far as I know, he didn't make any other prison ages... it can be similar tho. Remember, this'll have to be a "new" prison age, because we have to WRITE ages, and not discover them (cyan finally cleared that up)
Justintime9

Postby Nek'rahm » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:56 pm

ehm... good luck you guys.

Ehm... do you have any storyline set up? Concept art in the works? System of movement throughout the Age (ex. Bahro cloths/doors)?

If you have those, by all means, go ahead and give it a shot. I'm just saying, don't get your hopes too high. It's not very likely that nearly EVERY Guild will come work with this... and just because there's guild cooperation doesn't mean Cyan will assist us any more then they are trying to already.

But, you gotta admire your Gung-ho spirit. I'll be rooting for you :)
Nek'rahm

Postby BAD » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:41 pm

Nek'rahm,

Please don't discourage anyone from developing an age. We are here to make ages, and if someone is motivated enough to push for something, there is no reason we should try to drag their effort down.

I think what Nek'rahm is trying to point out is that if you try to design an age with the intent it was a D'ni age, you may be disapointed when you try to submit it to Cyan.

We have had a couple instances where it was made clear that Cyan wants new original ages from the community. Basically nothing found, but created by the new Writers of D'ni.

So a good idea would be to write your ages story up with a little bit of concept art and submit it to Cyan before starting any heavy duty work on it. :)

Here is the post where we were told to stay away from D'ni writen ages, and an age concept that is currently in the works that has suffered because of it.
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby Geckat » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:29 am

Shorah, Valdez :P .

@ The fact that there are prisons in Gahreesehn and Teledahn: Gahreesehn's prisons are very, very few. It's not a prison Age. In fact, I always figured it was there for interrogation by Maintainers. There are only six cells. Come now. Teldahn's prison was not for D'ni, but for Bahro. Slaves. Don't get the two mixed up.

@ Nek: What makes you think we're trying to get all the guilds into this? This is a Maintainer thing that requires Writers. And we don't need Cyan to help us any more. We just need to prove ourselves. That'll mean less guidelines, and more leeway from Cyan. We show that we're an organization that doesn't need outside influence. The idea is brand new, and I...don't know exactly what Valdez has planned (although if you like, mate, I'd be ecstatic to write whatever stories and journals you might need). I can see here the dissent in the GoW...I can't understand why anyone would decline the opportunity to create an Age when demand calls for it.

@ BAD: That's very true, I forgot about that. However, I think it's plausible that human Writers Wrote this prison Age. They were (and still are) a major source of interest for those intrigued by Writing. We know there were several theories made about them and how their security worked. The final step would be testing those theories.
Geckat

Postby andylegate » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:59 am

Okay, I'd like to point out that this is NOT a Maintainer thing. At least this is NOT something that has been discussed by the Guildmasters over at the Pre-GoMa.

I've contacted my fellow Guildmasters about this to try and find out what is going on.

If Valdez would like to work with people here to have a Age made for him and others, that is great, but please to not equate it as something that the Maintainers are asking for, as we are NOT asking for that. Valdez is NOT one of the Guildmasters, nor has he brought this discussion up over at our forum.

The only thing that the Pre-GoMa has asked for officially is the possibility of Training Ages.
Due to the lack of response over here for that, I've taken it upon myself to create these, the first of which is almost done.

So again, please to not think that this is something that the Pre-GoMa is asking for officially. If you hear from either myself, Mustard Jeep, Frisky Badger, Montgomery, or Jishin then you can take it as something official as we're the 5 elected guildmasters for the Pre-GoMa.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Whilyam » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:44 am

I can make a training age, Andy. What sort of things are you looking for? Is this an IC training age or OOC?
Whilyam

Postby andylegate » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:21 am

Oh on another note about "Prison" Ages. You can rest assured that the current Guildmasters of the Pre-GoMa will not ask for something like that. As we are also aware that Cyan has asked people creating Ages to not include D'ni stuff, it would be something new.
The last thing the Maintainers want to give is the idea or image that we're ready to "Lock people up."
There are enough people running around, worried that the Maintainers will be like secret police, KGB or Gastopo, and we don't want to give them anything else that will make them think their fears are true.

I can tell you want we would like is Ages to explore, puzzles to solve, or beaches to have parties at.
Not some dreary looking prison.

@Whilyam,
Nothing huge, but not simple. OOC and / or IC are fine. Mostly it is to learn how to find bugs with an age.

When I first mentioned this, some people thought I meant making a simple age that hand nothing more than a flat plane with some blocks you can walk though, calling it "Boring".

But that is no way to train. A Maintainer is not testing/inspecting/exploring and Age that is nothing more than a flat plane with some blocks. They are walking through a full blown Age.
At the same time, I don't want an Age that is so large that it takes half a year to make. Here is a link that shows some screen shots of the first Training Age I've made, Camp Bravo. I went with a bootcamp type theme. The Age can look like anything. But the main goal is teaching people how to hunt down bugs, as some of them may not be all that obvious:

Link to the screen shots. I'll be releasing this Age in just a few days after some more tweeks:

Camp Bravo

If you'd like to make a basic Age, that has more of a temprate climate, that'd be great, I can even texture it, script, etc.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Next

Return to General Discussion