Night Time Zephyr Cove

Show us what you can do! Let us know how you did it!

Re: Night Time Zephyr Cove

Postby Erik » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:18 am

I have an Intel Core 2 Quad 2.40 GHz processor and 2 GB memory and a GeForce 8800 GTS, so I didn't notice any performance issues, however, sometimes some odd things happened when I was standing somewhere with the camera at a certain angle. Sometimes some sort of yellow ray shot from the tiki torches, and also, a section of rocks turned white once at a certain angle. Also, I could no longer swim, but I walked underwater, which reminded me of Pirates of the Caribbean. :P
Erik

Postby Jojon » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:32 am

Well, Andy is a navy man, after all. Those torches triples as tiny lighthouses and sentry guns. As long as they don't inform you that they can see you, there is little reason to worry.
Jojon

Postby andylegate » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:46 am

Don't tempt me......I could put in a light house like the one at St. Augustine, Florida......and a small fort with cannons..... :D
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Erik » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:22 pm

The next generation of Myst puzzles: finding a way to avoid the shooting cannons... :P

Destruction is coming, find a way, build a fort!
Erik

Postby Grogyan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:16 pm

Thanks Andy, I had a look at the new Zephyr Cove, it looks great, though still has many bugs in it
eg sharp geometric edges and textures

I take it that you'll work on it more so that we can go even deeper.

Just one tiny question, how did you do those tunnels and their unevenness?
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby andylegate » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:23 pm

first, the geometry on the cliffs is sharp because I decimated the faces many times.....just recently, due to performance problems, and the fact that visregions don't work.

Prior to this download, the cliffs were a lot smoother, so were the rocks, as they had a LOT more faces. But I had to choose between better performance for people with lower end computers, or keep it high res, and then loose a lot of people who have computers that can't handle it.

The tunnels are nothing more than cylinders with subdivided faces, that I then turned around a propotional edited.....then duplicated! Chambers are grids that were also edited and in some cases joined together.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Grogyan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:46 pm

There shouldn't be any excuse now not to put into your computer a fairly decent video card like mine, its both powerful and inexpensive (I don't have much money either), just need to make sure your motherboard has a PCI-e slot

I have an 8800GTS 512MB and a Q6600 cpu, cheap as chips
Grogyan

Postby D'Lanor » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:29 pm

Grogyan wrote:There shouldn't be any excuse now not to put into your computer a fairly decent video card like mine, its both powerful and inexpensive (I don't have much money either), just need to make sure your motherboard has a PCI-e slot

I have to disagree. There is a very good excuse. Cyan ages look better than ours and they run on low end systems. The system requirements on the Uru CC disc must be respected at all times. Nobody should have to upgrade their hardware just to play user ages.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Aloys » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:33 pm

I agree. (although it sometimes makes Ages harder to optimize)
Aloys

Postby Grogyan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:43 pm

D'Lanor wrote:
Grogyan wrote:There shouldn't be any excuse now not to put into your computer a fairly decent video card like mine, its both powerful and inexpensive (I don't have much money either), just need to make sure your motherboard has a PCI-e slot

I have to disagree. There is a very good excuse. Cyan ages look better than ours and they run on low end systems. The system requirements on the Uru CC disc must be respected at all times. Nobody should have to upgrade their hardware just to play user ages.

I disagree D'Lanor The system requirements for CC were unrealistic at the time, I know cause I had an old GeForce 2 32 MB card, and that struggled something appalling, and I reckon many of the effects that Cyan were aiming for were not available to GeForce 3 and below, including FX series I think.

Obviously we should be looking to the system requirements for Myst 5 or MOUL for our Ages on CC.

I think in part why Cyan's Ages look so good is that they probably use NURBS surfaces which can be made more efficient to render than regular meshes
Grogyan

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Showcase