Quick-build

Show us what you can do! Let us know how you did it!

Quick-build

Postby Dovahn » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:33 pm

Hey everyone,

Here are two screenshots of an "age" that I just whipped together in about 1/2 hour (2 angles of it):

Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (11.32 KiB) Viewed 5866 times

Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (12.34 KiB) Viewed 5867 times

You can see it's some sort of building half buried in sand. It's possible to see the path leading up to it. It's not textured, or anything, but I'm not a "texture" person.

Is it any good? No. Will it ever become an age? Probably not. But I strongly advise modelers to make random things, little or big, for practice and also to get the modeling section of the GoW going. Good for all the people who have already posted stuff; that's great. You can post "quick-builds" here, or just make another topic, it doesn't matter to me. I'm just trying to show all the beginners to modeling (frankly, that includes me) that it doesn't matter what it is, the sooner we can build a "library" of lots of random things, the better off we are.

And if you do like it, let me know! :D I'd appreciate positive feedback (and negative too, of course, but please be constructive).

Dovahn
Dovahn

Re: Quick-build

Postby BAD » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:40 pm

I think it looks pretty cool. It obviously would need lots of refinement, but as a rough idea I think it works very well.
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby Pryftan » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:00 pm

Here's my half-hour image:

pic.jpg
Pryftan Quick Build
pic.jpg (30.95 KiB) Viewed 5820 times

Quick fractal base and a water texture from Google image search. Hooray shortcuts!
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby Dovahn » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:04 pm

Looks cool. What's that thing on the right? Any ideas, or is it just random?

Dovahn
Dovahn

Postby Pryftan » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:08 pm

Some kind of tower. Originally I was just going to make some sort of tower rising out of the sand, with the tower being the focal point, and then I realized if I just stuck another plane in there it'd intersect nice to make the water section and I ended up messing with that a lot more than the tower. I'm really not too good with textures which is why instead of looking metal, the tower just looks weird.
Pryftan

Postby Dovahn » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:17 pm

That's okay; I'm bad with textures too.
Dovahn

Postby Kato » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:57 am

Very cool guys! Dovahn, how'd you make the terrain so fast and so nice? I have trouble with terrain.

Impressive, given the time constraints!

-Kato
(explorer card designed and created by me)
Kato

Postby Dovahn » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:51 pm

Speaking for myself, I use Maya, and I use a tablet with it, so I can sculpt the terrain and smooth it out. I think Pryftan used a fractal of some sort (correct me if I'm wrong).
Dovahn

Postby Pryftan » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:00 pm

Yeah.. I usually make a really quick base by making a plane, enlarging it, subdividing it twice and then applying a fractal with randomness somewhere upwards of 30. Then subsurf twice and set smooth, and it makes a nice random rolling terrain. It's a little too uniform to use for an entire area but it's a good base to then add mountains and stuff to.
Pryftan

Postby Dovahn » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:08 pm

Here's something else I just made. It's a book-holder:

Book_Table.jpg
Book_Table.jpg (25.75 KiB) Viewed 5713 times

I think the texture kind of ruins it (I've never been good with textures, and this was just the stock wood-texture). However, I think it's a cool model just the same, for being made quickly and without much pre-planning.

Dovahn
Dovahn

Next

Return to Tips and Showcase