Completed: Remote Age Viewer

Show us what you can do! Let us know how you did it!

Re: Completed: D'ni Remote Age Viewer

Postby Aloys » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:41 pm

I just realize something! now that we can animated textures we can use a simple 360 panoramic view of the Age and have it loop. exactly like your Viewer right on the linking panels..
I can't believe I never thought of it... :shock:
We SO totally need to do that for our Books..
Aloys

Postby Paradox » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:48 pm

Book GUIs don't use layers though, they load the actual image itself.
Paradox

Postby Nek'rahm » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:52 pm

Well... that's true and it isn't.

Really Aloys, it's a good experimentation. Wouldn't work for some places like Relto though.

By taking a video, can't you use that video and turn it into an animated texture? Then just turn it into a looping texture and it MIGHT work.

Really might have to change the setup of the Linking Books though. Have the larger view be just that, an enlarged view. Then have the looping texture occur in real time on the books too ...

Should make that a small project Aloys :D, work on editing all of the Books in Uru:CC to have fly-bys on their Linking Books. That'd be WICKED cool if we started Uru again :D
Nek'rahm

Postby Aloys » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:04 pm

I'm not talking about the GUI, just about the panel on the book object itself.. So you wouldn't really be able to see it up close, but it'd still look cool as hell..
I'm making a small experiment on my test age, if it turns out well I'll publish the file.
Aloys

Postby Nek'rahm » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:10 pm

Hey, I have an idea!

Can you have the Loading screen for an Age show a fly by? That'd allow you to not have to change the books, but still show the flyby.

Dunno HOW that's possible, might taking some code-diving efforts by people...

Tomorrow I'm gunna set up a post in General Discussion. Something to just outline small projects like this that could enhance Uru. Would be nice to have people see if something's possible and have someone prove em right :P
Nek'rahm

Postby Aloys » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:24 pm

It works, this idea is cool as hell! Thank you D'eux :D
Example Age. It's totally great to see animated linking panel on a book in Uru! Even if it's only a looping panoramic image and not a tru fly-by movie. (although technically, because of some bug the image wont' even do a full loop animation, but just a weird ping-pong motion.. Just a bug; the idea itself is sound.) Also, don't mind all the mess around the book; it's just a test Age, where I test all kinds of things.
Aloys

Re: Completed: Remote Age Viewer

Postby D'eux » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:47 am

EDIT: That is one pretty messed up Age you got there Aloys :) Nice implementation of the scrolling texture for the book panel. Actually, the bugged way it ping-pongs almost looks like a PTZ CCTV camera, so it doesn't actually look too bad. Nice job!

It works, this idea is cool as hell! Thank you D'eux

Er... did I mention that the idea is copyrighted?
Hehe... not really :) Just glad to have been of some help and to have kicked off a new way of doing something. I'll take a look at your test Age and see how you've implemented the concept - thanks for using it!

-: D'eux :-
Last edited by D'eux on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| Ki# 4586709 | Book of D'eux |
D'eux

Postby Nek'rahm » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:36 pm

Again, I ask, which file controls the loading screens?

That'd be cool to do too. Play a video as a loading screen. This could allow Ages like Ae'gura to load by playing a video which explores all the major areas of it.

Would equal less problems with "long wait time" and get a big vote of confidence from many :D

BTW Aloys, that looks beast :P
Nek'rahm

Postby Aloys » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:32 am

D'eux wrote:That is one pretty messed up Age you got there Aloys :)

Thanks! :D err I mean.. yeah I know. It's my test Age, a little playground where I test all the new features of PyPRP. But right now most of it is broken because of the changes over the last two months.. For instance most of the objects in there were actually kickable, and there was one inbeded in the ground that acted like a trampoline.
I should update it to make it work again and release it for fun. :P
Aloys

Previous

Return to Tips and Showcase