WIP: Age 2 - Eh'ko

Show us what you can do! Let us know how you did it!

Re: WIP: Age 2 - Eh'ko

Postby Nek'rahm » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:22 pm

I want to know something tho.

D'eux, how big do you INTEND Eh'ko to be? Right now, it's about the size of a crater or depression, but will it have a network of tunnels or something leading out later, maybe?
Nek'rahm

Postby D'eux » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:10 am

how big do you INTEND Eh'ko to be? Right now, it's about the size of a crater or depression, but will it have a network of tunnels or something leading out later, maybe?

That's a very good question actually. My original intention was to write a small personal Age - somewhere I could go for peace and quiet (hence why the Age is called what it is.) But its potential to be so much more has been slowly growing. However, because I focus so much on the detail, writing in elaborate descriptions for every facet and element, expanding the Age beyond its current bounds may take more time than I can devote to it. I suppose I'm trying to concentrate on ensuring that the Age is stable and complete at its current size, rather than thinking about making it bigger.

Which does raise a thought about writing sizable and quality Ages for potential use in a new MOUL/UU environment, and that is that quite frankly it's going to be nigh on impossible for individuals to write complete, interesting and engaging Ages on their own. As the GoW, if we don't start making a concerted effort to pool our resources into common projects (like the MOUL Nexus) and build unified development teams like Cyan's, it's highly unlikely that we'll ever get good enough Ages written for the community to explore.

-: D'eux :-
| Ki# 4586709 | Book of D'eux |
D'eux

Postby Nek'rahm » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:08 am

Well, I could send you a PM later with what I thought of when I saw Eh'ko.

Might give you an idea :D

I do agree, it must be a calming Age, but there are subtle ways to do it. Some of which I'm thinking of taking from Riven ^_^
Nek'rahm

Postby D'eux » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:33 pm

Well, I could send you a PM later with what I thought of when I saw Eh'ko.
I do agree, it must be a calming Age, but there are subtle ways to do it. Some of which I'm thinking of taking from Riven

Feel free to PM, I'm always happy to hear ideas and suggestions. And really, I'm not dead set on it being calming if the backstory calls for otherwise.

| Ki# 4586709 | Book of D'eux |
D'eux

Postby greendragoon » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:13 am

D'eux wrote:That's a very good question actually. My original intention was to write a small personal Age - somewhere I could go for peace and quiet (hence why the Age is called what it is.) But its potential to be so much more has been slowly growing. However, because I focus so much on the detail, writing in elaborate descriptions for every facet and element, expanding the Age beyond its current bounds may take more time than I can devote to it. I suppose I'm trying to concentrate on ensuring that the Age is stable and complete at its current size, rather than thinking about making it bigger.

I think you should keep the age the size it is for now, but seed the potential for expansion. This could take the form of a rock slide or something similar that could later be removed to reveal a tunnel. If you decide to expand, you have a path to explore, if not, oh well, nothing lost. Plus, you don't have to be done with it forever to have a suitable release and I can't wait to get into Eh'ko. :D

D'eux wrote:Which does raise a thought about writing sizable and quality Ages for potential use in a new MOUL/UU environment, and that is that quite frankly it's going to be nigh on impossible for individuals to write complete, interesting and engaging Ages on their own. As the GoW, if we don't start making a concerted effort to pool our resources into common projects (like the MOUL Nexus) and build unified development teams like Cyan's, it's highly unlikely that we'll ever get good enough Ages written for the community to explore.

I think that right now, we have a lot of writers doing a lot of growing and maturing, and small ages are good for that. Plus at the same time, we have a plugin which is also growing and maturing. Small ages are easier to adapt to new features coming out. As the GoW reaches full maturety, I think you'll start to see larger collaborative ages. In the end we'll hopefully have a hand full of larger ages and quite a few smaller ages in development at any given time. :)

Personally, I've been very encouraged by the growth I've seen out of the GoW in the last couple months. :D
Robert "greendragoon" Starbuck
As Long as there is MORE,
I will explore.
And as long as my Relto shelf is unfilled,
I will build.
greendragoon

Location: Stuck in Indiana because the cavern door is locked.

Postby Ehren » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:10 pm

I should have said it sooner, but this is an amazing looking age, when all the age writing stuff began I never thought it could even get to near this far, but I've been impressed.

All I can say is I hope you still decide to release the age. Honestly when I saw the first pictures in this thread, I Didn't think they were pictures from Uru! They looked too perfect, like they were a painting or something.

Whatever you decide to do I still say it's amazing.
Ehren

Postby Marcello » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:22 am

Deux many people have done amazing things already, but your age shows probably the first signs of Cyan quality texturing and modelling. So please keep on track and share your experience with us. I was very, very impressed and hope to one day walk around there myself. :)
Marcello

Postby Lontahv » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:53 pm

I would argue that your age shows signs of better-than-Cyan texturing... which is interesting because there's a reason they have low-quality textures, and it's not just because they're too lazy. *runs away*

No, this is a consideration, you age is _too_ good to be a age in Uru, and this could cause some problems (you can't really have a different tex for every object/surface, (reuse!)).
So, I dunno, how we (most of the GoW) goes about shadows/lighting is we use vertex paint. You may want to look into this. I'm sure that since you're so good at what you're doing right now, you'll be great with vertex-paint.

Keep up the good work... /me wonders about fried GPUs then looks back toward Deux and smiles. :)

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Kato » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:32 pm

*admin hat on*

Guys, this got out of hand. I (and the whole GoW staff) should've caught it sooner, but it seems like the comments here have caused D'eux to stop posting about his Age creation. We don't want this.

Now we at GoW encourage free speech all the way, and no posts have been deleted, but on principle, the very core behind what happened here (the thread was hijacked) is not good. Threads get off topic--it's a fact of life. But in this case, the topic turned into a criticism of things unrelated to the topic entirely--and later personal attacks. I don't blame any specific person for what happened, but guys, please try not to derail threads in this way again.

D'eux, if you wish to return, your thread shall not be derailed in this way again, and we all really appreciate what you are creating here.

*admin hat off*

Play nice please :)

-Kato
(explorer card designed and created by me)
Kato

Postby Chacal » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:53 pm

The links to D'eux's pictures in this thread are now broken. Pictures can be seen on his blog. The video link is still good.

Edit: Wrong thread, Kato, I think. It was the other thread that derailed.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Showcase