Texturing tip: Filterforge

Show us what you can do! Let us know how you did it!

Texturing tip: Filterforge

Postby Marcello » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:52 am

Dear all,

I recently picked up a trial version of FilterForge at http://www.filterforge.com. This tool is amazing and equally amazing are the things others have already done with it. It does take getting used to and, especially, it takes you to learn to look a certain way at real live textures so you can break them down and rebuild them in FiIterForge. If you manage to do so you will be able to easily make variants and tailor them to your needs. All in high or low res and all seamable.

The catch is a learning curve and the fact that depending on the version you want it's pricey. The upbeat: great texture made by clever people, al ready to use and endless possibilities.

My trial has ended, but I will install a second one on my laptop soon. I have one texture in their library called: sand ripple. I intend to make it more realistic and more customisable.

Check it out. Maybe some of us who can and want to afford such a buy can specialice in using it.
Marcello

Re: Texturing tip: Filterforge

Postby Marcello » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:52 am

For those interested in FilterForge... they have a 25% discount offer until the end of the year.

There is a free alternative called MapZone 2.5. I've had a look at it and it can do most stuff FilterForge can do. The learning curve is steep though. The interface is harder to master and scalability of maps is not as easy. There is a commercial version too, but I haven't found any additions worth buying it.

Another commercial alternative is Genetica. I didn't try the trial yet. Both the professional (commercial) edition of MapZone and Genetica are positioned as pro tools for game artists.

From what I read online FilterForge or the free MapZone (because it's free) are the way to go if you need seamless procedural textures.
Marcello

Postby andylegate » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:00 am

Wow!

I just downloaded MaPZone. Thanks Marcello! This is a very strong tool, and free! I'm finding it actually not that hard to use.

Thanks again!
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Marcello » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:21 pm

Cool Andylegate! I haven't had much time lately to do stuff, but will dig into it later. What about sharing MapZone maps somewhere. Could be a great resource for others too!

I'm thinking about buying FilterForge, but am not sure yet. Better try MapZone first.
Marcello

Postby Marcello » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:51 am

Hi all,

Today I decided to make use of the 30% off Filterforge deal. Hopefully I have the time to learn the app :)

So .... if anyone finds a useful texture over there and doesn't want to buy the app or has a trial version that ran out, just let me know. I can't promise response times, but I will try to get it for you as soon as possible. Depening on demand off course ;)

Maybe we should start a seperate Texture thread? MapZone textures, Filterforge Textures, photographic textures, etc. We could use them couldn't we?!?

Grtz,

Marcello
Marcello

Return to Tips and Showcase