Rahgatt - D'ni Library

Show us what you can do! Let us know how you did it!

Rahgatt - D'ni Library

Postby JulyForToday » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:37 pm

Back during the early days of the Alcugs plugin, there was a lot of project talk over at Age Builders and the GoAC, and then the NewTree thing.

There was discussion of a community age, and a sort of hub for user ages about a year and a half ago. Of course this was when things looked grim for Cyan, and Uru Live looked more and more like a pipe dream. But since things have turned around, and many of those projects were torn asunder, and now that the Guilds are starting up, we are where we are. But along the way I've done a couple of things that I'd like to just post here, give a taste of what I can do (even if its sorta half-a**ed).

First, from NewTree, a totem pole that to my knowledge was one of the few pieces of content to actually be created.

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a107/ ... mtest2.jpg

And then there was my ambitious (and selfish) idea for a D'ni based library for a community/user age hub. But I never completed it because of how uncertain everything was back then. I was aiming to make it fit the D'ni style as much as possible. But now I don't mind carving it up for parts.

Rahgatt

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a107/ ... shot04.jpg
http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a107/ ... shot02.jpg

I also started a site (Nucide) for making my own content, and potentially making a team for making new stuff. Never really gave up hope on it, but I've not done much with it either.

Edit: I can't seem to get images to work. Unless photobucket stopped allowing remote loading.
JulyForToday

Re: Rahgatt - D'ni Library

Postby Paradox » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:50 pm

The problem here is that Cyan has stated in the past that Library Ages are off limits.

Cyan wrote:So even though we are granting permission for people to make new, original Ages, at the same time we have to be careful about foundational or organizational Ages, like the Library and City you have described. It just might be that we want to (and logically need to) own the libraries and city spaces.

So my advice to you would be to avoid making a Library or a City. Or, if construction has already begun, I would repurpose these into original stand-alone Ages, or at least something versatile enough to go both ways, both in structure and in story capacity. I know it's hard to set aside your dreams, but there may be even better things ahead...
(In a reply about the legality of a Library Age)
Paradox

Postby JulyForToday » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:59 pm

Thanks for the quote Paradox. :)

I've long given up the desire to try anything with Rahgatt other than have it as a nice little piece of eye candy. I think I like the name more than the actually place though. haha!
JulyForToday

Postby Kato » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:04 pm

Wow! Your D'ni library looks pretty incredible! I had similar ambitions and a similar concept but it didn't look near as good as yours does...

You've really done well with D'ni architecture!

-Kato
(explorer card designed and created by me)
Kato

Postby Whilyam » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:19 am

Hmm. So does that quote mean Ahra Pahts isn't "allowed"?
Whilyam

Postby Paradox » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:44 am

y'know, I actually wondered that myself when I found the quote.

However, I imagine that with the amount of progress that took place on Ahra Pahts that it would certainly have permission for development (and hopefully for release).
Paradox

Postby Nadnerb » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:53 am

Well, Ahra Pahts isn't really a "library" or even truly a "city" age... It's more of a "community showcase" where everyone gets a plot on which to build. (I must say the concept reminds me vaguely of SL) There is even some question as to whether it is even a D'ni age. For now it is simply a very large, mostly empty age, that needs to be filled by fan works. I think "the quote" was mainly advising against 'hub' areas, that would naturally have a large number of outgoing links, mostly because Cyan would want to have control over inter-age linking.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Lontahv » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:05 pm

Umm.... Those are cyan's textures (I think it says with the fan created tools that you can use them if you don't take cyan's stuff--really bad legally speaking) When I made my D'ni district I made my own textures. Just warning you JFT. :) Note : your stuff looks great
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Paradox » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:14 pm

I think JFT did make his own textures. They don't look identical to Cyan's from what I see.
Paradox

Postby Lontahv » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:39 pm

Nope I'm sure that they're the cyan ones.
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Next

Return to Tips and Showcase