Revamping Night Time Camp Bravo

Show us what you can do! Let us know how you did it!

Revamping Night Time Camp Bravo

Postby andylegate » Tue May 13, 2008 4:24 pm

Just wanted to share what using Nadnerb's Lightmaps can do for an Age......Been doing some tinkering with Camp Bravo. Hope to have it out sometime soon:

Show Spoiler

Yep...that's an animated linking panel
Show Spoiler

Show Spoiler

Show Spoiler
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Re: Revamping Night Time Camp Bravo

Postby Nadnerb » Tue May 13, 2008 7:32 pm

Very nice. :) I like the hallway in the third picture. If I were to suggest anything, it would again be to make the edges of the spots fuzzier. I also like how you left the linking panel unlit, so it looks like it's emitting it's own light. :D If you haven't already, you should stick a little bluish point light inside the book so it casts it's light on other objects, and the avatar. ;)

Also, I'd like the point out an issue with the last picture. The cliffs are incongruous. Meaning that they stick out like a blue thumb. either they should be lightmapped using the same lights as the ground, OR the ground lightmap should include the blue sun-lamp that is affecting the cliffs. If you have issues making the sun lamp affect the ground, remember that it originates at infinity and passes through your scene no matter where the lamp object itself is, and if your skydome is visible when you attempt the render, it won't affect anything inside it. You can work around that by hiding it in another layer, or by making it untraceable, which will stop it from casting shadows.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby andylegate » Tue May 13, 2008 8:25 pm

definately good suggestions. I haven't messed with the cliffs yet, as I've been thinking of changing their textures, but you are right, I don't want them light that blue.

Your ideas on the linking panel is along somethings I've been thinking about. One thought that I had is the ceiling......hehe....the linking panel is animated (all though people will be disappointed that the book is not working....story about that is in the journal next to it), anyway, with a glow that right, I was thinking of taking my animated texture and making it very transparent, and fuzzy and place it bigger on the ceiling, like it's being projected there, very faintly.

I do know this....I have much more fun building, texturing and lighting the Age than I do messing with the Python. ALC, I don't mind too much, and in fact I love messing with sounds. But Python....I understand just enough to get a headache! :D
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Justintime9 » Wed May 14, 2008 4:36 am

Oooooo can't wait to explore!! :D
Justintime9

Postby Grogyan » Thu May 15, 2008 1:26 am

Justintime9 wrote:Oooooo can't wait to explore!! :D

me too,
I have been rather too slack and need to do more building
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby mar » Thu May 15, 2008 3:10 am

That's great the hallway I like te most. I like it very much ;) ;)
mar

Postby belford » Thu May 15, 2008 12:24 pm

I was thinking of taking my animated texture and making it very transparent, and fuzzy and place it bigger on the ceiling, like it's being projected there, very faintly.

Oh, please don't. The "projected image on people's faces" thing is one of those movie cliches that I hate, because it doesn't happen in real life. It's anti-realistic, not super-realistic. (I always flip the movie screen a rude gesture when it happens. :)

Sure, linking panels aren't real life, but what are they *like?* Like a TV screen? A TV screen doesn't project an image on your face -- just a diffuse blueish glow. Like a window? A window doesn't project an image on your face either. (Unless it's a pinhole-sized window!)

If you want to go this route, I'd love a diffuse *but featureless* glow on the ceiling, with the same general color tone as the panel image. To be really sexy, have it brighten and dim just a little bit, matching the passage of bright and dark features in the animated panel.

This has been a production of Optical Physics Nitpickers Anonymous. :)
belford

Return to Tips and Showcase