Temple of Illumination WIP

Show us what you can do! Let us know how you did it!

Temple of Illumination WIP

Postby GPNMilano » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:34 pm

A few months back, I had an idea for an area of the D'ni cavern, used by a group known as the "Writers of Illumination". The idea was heavily influenced by the concept of the Illuminati in Dan Brown's book Angels and Demons.

The concept I had was what if there was a group during the fall of D'ni, comprised of Guild Members from all different guilds. Archivists, Writers, Maintainers, etc. This small group was dedicated to the idea of a free D'ni. They believed that the laws set forth by the Guilds concerning the Art, compromised the future of D'ni. That the only way they could fully master the Art was to break the rules set forth for it by the Guilds. Such as not writing man made objects, and not messing with the laws of physics when it came to age writing. This group met secretly in the cavern at their "Temple of Illumination" and there secretly used both D'ni technology coupled with the Art, to write and alter descriptive books in experimentations.

Now with MORE on the way, I've decided to pick up this lost "age" I was working on and complete it, in the hopes that it will be included for MORE and CC.

Please understand this is all a work in progress at this point, so don't expect perfection :)

Show Spoiler

A different view:

Show Spoiler
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Re: Temple of Illumination WIP

Postby Lontahv » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:14 pm

Very nice looking. :)

It suffers a bit from "that gray look", meaning that the light parts aren't very bright and the dark parts aren't very dark. Try fiddling with the ambient light values and relflect values in blender (I think this is under material shaders). :)
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Jojon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:01 pm

I find it ironic how little cadres of people arrogantly calling themselves "illuminated" tend to congregate in dark, murky, grue-infested satanist-y places. ;)

Wish my finished stuff looked half as good as your WIPs. :)
Jojon

Postby GPNMilano » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:17 am

Lontahv wrote:Very nice looking. :)

It suffers a bit from "that gray look", meaning that the light parts aren't very bright and the dark parts aren't very dark. Try fiddling with the ambient light values and relflect values in blender (I think this is under material shaders). :)

Heh, I know "that gray look" all too well. I'm taking a que from Cyan's work and vertex coloring the meshes. I'm still adding colors to the main entrance room. I started the room itself as one multiple meshes, then joined them together and tried to color it. But I was coloring the materials and not the mesh. Which is what Cyan seems to do (or at least how importing their ages appears to look like. So I'm now in the process of cutting the mesh into pieces again, and vertex coloring them as well as using material colors when needed.
GPNMilano

Postby GPNMilano » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:39 am

Haven't gotten much work done on the Temple as of late. Lots of brainstorming for the other ages that will be connected to the story of the temple. (I want to release two ages, plus the temple, together. all tied together for one cohesive story.) I have been able to do some modeling for the Temple. The center room after the entrance area needs to be remodeled, but most of the rest of its done and modeled, just needs to be lit, textured, scripted etc.
GPNMilano

Postby Kato » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:58 am

I can't wait to explore the Temple--it's looking nice, and it's definitely reached an exemplary level of graphics. :)

-Kato
(explorer card designed and created by me)
Kato

Return to Tips and Showcase