Serene

Show us what you can do! Let us know how you did it!

Re: Serene

Postby Chacal » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:51 pm

How's this?
Note: it is brighter and much nicer in game than on the screenshot.
Show Spoiler

fni settings:

#Fog settings

#Graphics.Renderer.SetYon float yon
Graphics.Renderer.SetYon 30000

#Graphics.Renderer.Fog.SetDefLinear float start, float end, float density
Graphics.Renderer.Fog.SetDefLinear 0 200 1.5

#Graphics.Renderer.Fog.SetDefExp2 float end, float density
#Graphics.Renderer.Fog.SetDefExp2 100000 20

#Graphics.Renderer.Fog.SetDefColor float r, float g, float b
Graphics.Renderer.Fog.SetDefColor .2 .2 .4

#Graphics.Renderer.SetClearColor float r, float g, float b
Graphics.Renderer.SetClearColor .2 .2 .4
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Dot » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:08 pm

That looks good, Chacal :)
Dot

Postby andylegate » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:38 am

Sure, give me a few days though: Rad contest and all that coming to a head.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Chacal » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:42 am

Jojon wrote:I don't know about relaxing -- more "relaxing" as in: "whew, I got into the eye of the storm and away from the killer dogs, for now."

I get the sense of this place as being inside the only stand of tall trees (and a small one, at that) on a vast snowstorm-ravaged steppe -- serene and disconcerting at the same time, which makes it very Cyan-y. Either way it's beatiful - love the vegetaion lining the clearing. :)

This gives me an idea for adding dynamics to the Age:
- Relto book doesn't work in this Age;
- Typical Myst-like puzzle for getting access to Linking book for getting out;
- Difficulty: terrifying predators are roaming the surrounding forest, kept at bay by the lights in the clearing. But the lights keep fading out and must be kept charged by performing an action on a regular basis (pellets, anyone?);
- If the lights go out the player is stuck in the dark in an Age full of hungry beasts that are heard closing in.

It would be an interesting contrast between how serene the Age seems to be when you link in and how it becomes a complete nightmare. The player would realize that the name of the Age was ironic.

:D
Chacal

-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby greendragoon » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:51 am

Chacal wrote:
Jojon wrote:- Difficulty: terrifying predators are roaming the surrounding forest, kept at bay by the lights in the clearing. But the lights keep fading out and must be kept charged by performing an action on a regular basis (pellets, anyone?);

Or like pushing a button every 108 minutes. :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. But seriously though, there's no real representation for death in Uru so in the end, would the just be stuck in the dark with a broken Relto? I guess the only option left would be to restart Uru.
Robert "greendragoon" Starbuck
As Long as there is MORE,
I will explore.
And as long as my Relto shelf is unfilled,
I will build.
greendragoon

Location: Stuck in Indiana because the cavern door is locked.

Postby J'Kla » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:41 pm

I would say the best comment I can make is it does fit the name Serene. Nice one.
J'Kla

Postby andylegate » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:43 pm

Sorry Chacal, can't do it, as someone else already thought of that. There's even a autographed copy of the idea at Cyan hanging on there wall!

I can't find the one strip I'm looking for, but here it is:

Jason was tired of waiting for Riven to come out, so he wrote his own version of Myst II, where everything is exactly the same......except for the Raptors comming to eat you alive...so you have to solve the puzzles faster. hehheheh.

Good idea though!
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Nadnerb » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:57 pm

I would suggest NOT disabling the relto book, for the simple reason that there's always the alt-f4 workaround for anyone who really wants to leave. :P However, I love the foreboding atmosphere that this ... shall we call it... 'puzzle' idea created. The only issue is that the current age has a significant amount of 'ambient' light (not produced by an artificial source) look at all that purple light. :P

If it really was black outside the clearing, and the only light was produced by lights strung around the area, powered by a generator some distance from the actual puzzle... (some trivial tile puzzle sort of thing, perhaps, but the time constraint makes it more challenging) .. then, if the player lets the lights go out completely (while out in the open) it would get dark, you'd hear the sounds closing in, and automatically panic link.

(and for the initial case, the player would link into a closed, protective 'generator shack' of some sort, so that they could bootstrap the lights. (And you can hear the things clawing at the outside when you arrive... and the avatar would refuse to open the door until they went away. (note that we never actually see the things) ) ) .... yay nested parens. :P

(the idea really makes me think more of the stoneship age generator in the lighthouse/lights in the tunnels, rather than something as obtuse as pellets, but maybe I'm just less uru-centric in my myst-thinking. :P)

Edit: This mechanic also lends itself to Uru-multiplayer, should it ever come to that. The situation could be made considerably easier/less tense by bringing along a second player to man the generator, much like having a second person standing on the plate in the Gahreesen generator-starting puzzle.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Lontahv » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:29 pm

Disabling the Relto is like saying "YAH going to spend your time in _MY_ age even if you don't want to!". This is not really in the Uru spirit--a little bit here, back to Relto a little bit more there.

And loading Uru up again right after having to alt-F4 just annoying.

Your age itself should be good enough (and interesting enough) that you genuinely want to spend time there rather than being forced to be in an age that might not suit your tastes.

Chacal> Thanks for warning me about your age ideas. I'll make sure to take lots of crowbars and hacksaws and dynamite if I ever go to one of yours. :P :lol:

Relto-disabling thing is just for use by ex-UU-admins wanting to play tricks (I really do love Prad D'Lan, at least the puzzle to get out isn't hugely time-consuming and mind-boggling). ;)
Last edited by Lontahv on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Chacal » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:14 pm

Yeah, maybe not disable the Relto book.
Chacal

-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Showcase