Chain letter age

Show us what you can do! Let us know how you did it!

Re: Chain letter age

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:05 pm

I was intrigued by this concept way back when you first came up with the idea, Jojon. So, count me in!

Should we have some sort of a time limit on who has the ball? I only say this because real life has an awful way of swooping in and taking you hostage for days/weeks.

Another question: what do we do when we're done with the age? Post a link where the next person can download it, or email you (so you can update your link)?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Jojon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:00 pm

Glad to have you, Rob. :)

I'm thinking no less than a day, no more than a week, might be a good guideline. Any other opinions? :7

ATM all work is returned to me and I send it on to the next participant - this allows me to update the release of the age and keep an archive of versions of the entire project folder, just in case. :7

I have had people failing in emailing me big files before, for some unknown reason, so I'm suggesting the use of the simple and accountless filesharing service at www.snabbdela.se, which allows you to upload a file <100MB and share a link to the file, that is good for five downloads. There seem to be no catches to the service, although it does appear to append a few blankspaces and a carriage return to files. I can only surmise this is just a harmless bug.
I should really figure out how to set up a FTP, or subversion server, I suppose, but this is easier, I think, both for myself and Joe and Joanna User. :)
Jojon

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:35 am

Thanks for the answers, Jojon. As a reward, here's some more questions:

- Would it be possible to get the Blender file prior to my turn? I know that I would be taking a great risk by adding items before it's my turn (due to the nature of this project); but I'll need the lead time in order to get what I want done by the deadline.

- In your readme, you mention several mechanisms that you have planned for the age. Should all of us chain mail authors follow this exactly, or can we deviate from it?

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Jojon » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:08 am

Well, the "one week" it more a friendly suggestion (to keep things dynamic), than a deadline -- if someone gets ambitious and needs more time, there will be some while before any questionmarks are raised. :)

As you point out, of course, one may well find oneself having worked on something that is moot by the time one's turn comes.. :7

You have an excellent point, though, in that it would be good if newcomers could get familiar with the files, without having to wait their turn. I was just generously offered some FTP space for the project and as a true vulture, I immediately snapped for more ;). If I can get a public directory, it would probably be sensible to have the latest project files available to all and not just the prp:s.
Hmm, on third thought, for uploads, there should probably be a limited public upload area, from which I'd have to move files to the public DL one... Full public access could prove..."dangerous".

Everything in the "Synopsis" text file, which was included in that readme, is as open for change as everything else. For all I know, by the time Corvus is done, the age will be about bouncing beige bunnies picking cheeseflower buds on the bottom of a custard sea, with all of my initial mess gone.

I realize there are a bunch of risks with making things this open, but expect that we all respect eachother here and act accordingly. Still, you may note that I reserved the right to arbitrary censorship. Any elements like political propaganda or flying genitalea could well be removed. :P
Jojon

Postby Corvus » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:26 am

Jojon wrote:by the time Corvus is done, the age will be about bouncing beige bunnies picking cheeseflower buds on the bottom of a custard sea

How could you give that away? Now I have to come up with something else. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"To regard the imagination as metaphysics is to think of it as part of life, and to think of it as part of life is to realize the extent of artifice. We live in the mind."

-Wallace Stevens-
Corvus

Postby Chacal » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:36 pm

Jojon wrote: I realize there are a bunch of risks with making things this open

The risk with the crowd here is just a little less than if you were dealing with, say, 4chan. :D
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Jojon » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:43 am

NO WAI!
Jojon

Postby Chacal » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:30 am

RLY
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Jojon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:38 pm

Corvus has been wiping copious volumes of sweat off her brow, for us all to share and I, for one, would like to thank her for her hard work - please, next time you haul such heavy pieces of machinery around; don't be afraid to ask for a hand or two. :)

I have updated the first post in this thread with links to the new version of the age and the new readme.

Next up is Perlenstern, then Robert the Rebuilder.

EDIT: Genus correction - making too many assumptions about people... :7
Attachments
Rell-too_shot_002.jpg
Leaving familiar grounds behind, courtesy of Corvus airlines.
Rell-too_shot_002.jpg (53.67 KiB) Viewed 10650 times
Last edited by Jojon on Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jojon

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:45 pm

Sweet cable car, Corvus!

*Dang - that's what I was gonna do. Back to the drawing board...* :lol:

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Showcase