Chain letter age

Show us what you can do! Let us know how you did it!

Re: Chain letter age

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:15 am

You can exclude animations from being saved in the age state file.

Code: Select all
<animated object>:
    synchflags:
      - excludepersistentstate
    synchstates:
      - AGMaster

However, this makes looped animations run out of sync in a multiplayer environment. Most of the time that does not matter but subworld rides for example should always run in sync.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Jojon » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:30 pm

Interesting. Thanks, D'Lanor!
Jojon

Postby diafero » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:09 pm

This, of course, rises some questions: What happens if an already published Age gets a changed animation in an updated version of that Age?
Should Drizzle then remove the .sav file by itself, or does it already?
Drizzle does nothing like that.

And some related questions to Diafero: How are age updates handled online? What exactly does /!resetage do? And wouldn't it be a good idea to make this command available offline in the UserKI as well?
Age updates online work the same way as offline, I think. It may be that the offline client stores more information, but the server definitely has some SDL stuff for each (server-synched) animation. However I sometimes do a "/!resetage" (or the equivalent action directly on the server, instead of within Uru), and by coincidence actually did that after the most recent update, so everyone on the Shard should be all right :D .
Unfortunately it is not possible to make /!resetage available offline. The command internally sends a special text chat message to a non-existing player, which is intercepted by the server which, if nobody else is in the age, internally sets a "reset" flag, and then sends the client a special text chat message. The client then in turn initiates a re-link, and upon link-out of the last player of an age, the server checks the "reset" flag, and if it is set, removes all SDL states. When the client then re-connects to join the age again, it sees a blank age. This complicated procedure is necessary because I can not reset an age while someone is still in it, the client would still have the old SDL states, and anybody new joining later would have the new one, resulting in chaos. The same reset flag is, btw, also used to make the "Delete book" button in Relto work, because unlike UU, Alcugs does *not* give you a new instance here (old invites stay valid), it just resets the existing one when detecting the reset.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby D'Lanor » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:31 pm

The "animation not updating" bug is limited to the offline vault. I cannot vouch for Alcugs or MOULa but in UU this was definitely NOT an issue.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Rize » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:20 pm

Wow. I haven't been able to get on here due to college, but I'm really happy Relltoo is still going! Dendwaler, the harvester and lake AWESOME, and the lighted bouys have given me an idea for a puzzle for my next turn... (also, welcome to the team!)

Speaking of that, just a heads up that my contributions from here on out are probably going to take a bit longer than in the past. My college schedule is kinda hectic and academics take priority over everything else. That said, I have no intention of forgetting Relltoo or letting my turns pass me by. Just note that it might be a few days after my turn is announced before I find out.

Also, can't wait to see what Corvus and Ametist add in next!

Until next time,
-Rize
Currently working on: Oolbah Frehrinto (Office on the Island)
Once I can actually get the texture to show up correctly, maybe I'll be getting somewhere.

Contributor to Rell-too, the Chain Letter Age. Thread here.
Rize

Postby ametist » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:01 am

Oh yes, really cool to visit RellToo with that 'machine' of yours Dendwaler! It behaves :). Thanks!
Whenever I visit RellToo it takes some time now, I love to look over all things and check them out, I noticed I've even got a 'path' that I follow every time :lol:

Right there Rize, studies goes first (my 'teachers- heart' feels warm now ;) ) so take your time when it's your roll, we'll wait patiently!

And Corvus is next so I'm happy :) Good luck!
ametist

Postby dendwaler » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:54 am

Thx to all, i am realy glad you liked it.

That makes me pretty confident you will also like this one.
Its almost ready.

Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Sirius » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:31 am

Heh, I was thinking yesterday you would be able to do this one :)

That's really awesome work. I'm not really good in Age writing myself, so that's quite impressive to see these great models.

It would be great if we could drive it, but I guess it would be really hard to do...

What about rebuilding Kahlo next ? (Cyan almost finished this Age, but never published it. What a pity !)
Sirius

Postby Jojon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:52 pm

Looks like dendwaler will soon have the entire age of Venalem built and done. :9

Thanks for the declarations of intent, those who make them - they give me
an idea on whether I dare disturb you, when the day comes. :)

( Ametist: Since you are next; I'll check with you, about a week before Corvus' projected finishing date, whether your situation then seems to allow for some Rell-Too:ing. :) )
Jojon

Postby ametist » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:57 am

Thanks, Jojon, that'l be fine :) , I'm already checking the state of some (old) ideas :lol:
ametist

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Showcase