Chain letter age

Show us what you can do! Let us know how you did it!

Re: Chain letter age

Postby Corvus » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:54 pm

Sorry, Robert! :D
"To regard the imagination as metaphysics is to think of it as part of life, and to think of it as part of life is to realize the extent of artifice. We live in the mind."

-Wallace Stevens-
Corvus

Postby Justintime9 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:35 am

This is a great Idea! I remember attempting something like this awhile back, but it sort of fizzled out.
I'd love to join! Btw, could you not put the files in a .rar folder? I had Winrar awhile ago, and it got a bit annoying so I uninstalled it.
Justintime9

Postby Jojon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:48 am

Justintime9 wrote:This is a great Idea! I remember attempting something like this awhile back, but it sort of fizzled out.
I'd love to join! Btw, could you not put the files in a .rar folder? I had Winrar awhile ago, and it got a bit annoying so I uninstalled it.

You're on!
(I wouldn't mind hearing a little about the one that never fully took off, if it is no inconvenience. :7)

I can make a .zip for you instead, if you prefer. What did you find annoying about winrar? (assuming it was something other than the nag requester on unregistered copies)

Thanks for taking part! :)
Jojon

Postby Justintime9 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:06 pm

Well, my previous attempt was a castle age; pretty much just a castle with a moat, and courtyard. It wasn't very impressive, but I posted it on GoW suggesting something like this. (one person starts the age, other people add stuff, etc.) It went on for a little bit, but didn't really go anywhere. I'm glad someone else had the same Idea, and it's actually getting somewhere! :D
Here's a pic of the blendfile:

WinRar just seemed too complicated for the simple purpose of compressing files. I liked just downloading the .zip file, and just extracting, and using the files, rather than having to click where you want it extracted, etc. There's too many complex functions that I'll probably never use, and I have very low disc space.
Justintime9

Postby Jojon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:05 pm

@Justin:

Aha, looks like it got a bit further than this age has, as of yet, actually. We have only had one turn so far, even though I have almost singlehandedly managed to stuff this thread so full of tasty spam, its three pages long now... :)

As for the rar format, there ARE still commandline rar utilites.

However, you don't really need to worry about all those fancy icons in winrar, since it adds items to the context menus you get when you right-click on a file. I always just do the 'right-click on a newly downloaded rar archive' thing and pick the "Extract to new-folder-with-same-name-as-archive" option - no need to bring up the GUI.
Now, when you DO double-click on a rar archive and get that window, you can still forget about the icons - you can drag-n-drop files out and in of the archive lister, just as if it was any ordinary folder and even edit files in place, without prior extracting - this is very useful.
As for diskspace, rar has better compression ratio than zip and is a much smaller download than the equivalent GUI ZIP utility for windows.

I am not calling you a back-striver mind - if it were up to me, we'd all be using lha. :B

EDIT: Oh I did upload a zip version of the age release ('though not the project one), btw: http://prairiegirl.net/cristofblog/chai ... o_v0.2.zip
Jojon

Postby Justintime9 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:35 pm

Wow! That's primitive? Pretty amazing. The elevator is awesome! Can't wait to see it when we're all through with it.
Oh, one question: when adding to the age, does that mean that the person can only do a single thing (e.g if someone added a bunch of shrubs, they can't also add a skydome) Or, can they add as much as they want?
Justintime9

Postby Jojon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:52 pm

Justintime9 wrote:Oh, one question: when adding to the age, does that mean that the person can only do a single thing (e.g if someone added a bunch of shrubs, they can't also add a skydome) Or, can they add as much as they want?

No restrictions, only a few friendly suggestions:

* Aim for a week of tinkering - if you need more time (or less), that is perfectly ok, but it's good if we can avoid the project seemingly stalling. :)

* Be respectful to your fellow writers and their efforts - should increase the chances of receiving the same back. ;)

* Go for what you think would be best for the age - with luck we might come to some sort of concensus on its direction - then again, maybe not. :9
Jojon

Postby Justintime9 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:51 pm

Sounds good :D
Justintime9

Postby Chacal » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:23 pm

Use 7zip. It opens several archive formats, including rar.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Justintime9 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:49 am

Thx, that works much better :D
Justintime9

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Showcase