Chain letter age

Show us what you can do! Let us know how you did it!

Re: Chain letter age

Postby Jojon » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:34 am

Thanks D'Lanor!

It might have served me well to have read this, before I did a test (commenting out the notifymsg and exporting again), which indeed confirmed the source of the problem. :)

Thing is: I am fairly certain I originally DID have the notifier address commentary_001_act and could never get that to work.
When it finally worked, with the name of the python file (...or of the class), in place of the pythonfilemod name, that was after lots of blind trying similarly wierd things.
So... My referencing a non-existent pythonfilemod, leads to the automatic creation of a new, blank one... Intresting, in its own right, I guess. :)

I'll try again, with correct references, because I can't truly remember any longer, whether I really, really did try it with the extra preceding callback message, which assures the notify message event waits for a later callback ID than the responder's first one.
Actually; Perhaps this is what neccessitates that practice in the first place...
Maybe, somehow, the notification goes right to the blank pythonfilemod (and, of course, fails) if it's first and goes fishing for a real one, within the same logicmod, otherwise...

But now I am apparently off for a bit of evening work - damn phone. :P

I'll report any results and hope for continued advice. :)
Jojon

Postby Jojon » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:29 pm

...aaand I'm back.

Yep; Simply correcting the receiver reference in the commentary notify message event, I got rid of the extraneous pythonfilemod and the message still finds it way home, as intended.

I will endeavour to refrain from speculating too much on what I did wrong the first time and just be grateful that somebody spotted my later trial-and-error-and-lack-of-education-sourced mistake.

For the next release of the age, I will correct each of the occurrences of the error (once, at the moment, for the commentary script and a couple for the book GUI one).

Thank you to Diafero and D'Lanor and Ametist too. :)

(EDIT: The Rell-Too copy of D'Lanor's BookGUI template is not quite kosher, so it may be worth not walking too close to it; It has been modified to not carry out any linkout, until it receives a notification message, which in effect tells it: "Ok, I'm done, you can go ahead now".)

Incidently, D'Lanor: I notice in your XML view of the NotifyMessage event, parameters for Type, State and ID.
Does PyPRP currently parse these parameters for the event (EDIT: ...out of alcscript...) and can I access them in my script? (It is very useful to be able to notify a script, but somewhat limiting, if the message has no content :) )

I suppose I should also ask which Notification types there are...
Jojon

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:51 pm

Jojon wrote:Incidently, D'Lanor: I notice in your XML view of the NotifyMessage event, parameters for Type, State and ID.
Does PyPRP currently parse these parameters for the event (EDIT: ...out of alcscript...) and can I access them in my script? (It is very useful to be able to notify a script, but somewhat limiting, if the message has no content :) )

PyPRP 1.6 just gives them default values of 0. It is not possible to change that through AlcScript.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Jojon » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:53 pm

Oh, sugar.

Thanks, 'though. :)
Jojon

Postby diafero » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:54 am

Great, thanks for figuring this out :) . I'm glad whenever I can help!
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby diafero » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:48 pm

I just uploaded a new version of Rell-too to UAM which fixes a packaging mistake I made in the earlier version...
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Previous

Return to Tips and Showcase