Chain letter age

Show us what you can do! Let us know how you did it!

Re: Chain letter age

Postby I.Brattin » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:59 am

I am in the process of merging my many projects into 2 domains, they were spread out among 4 domains. Since I am hosting the files for Rell-too that means it got moved also.

While the webpage hasn't been updated in like forever. You can now find it at http://chainletterage.oakleafprojects.com

JoJon has the new login, password, and ftp address. Check your PM's JoJon if you haven't already.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
Jayden Halliwell (IC Explorer) - 54404
I.Brattin

Postby Jojon » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:27 pm

Thank you, dendwaler and I.Brattin!

There was nothing in dendwaler's submission that HAD to be changed, but I did decide (EDIT: ...err, with dendwaler's kind permission, of course :) ), to sacrifice part of his gorgeous prerendered lighting, in favour of having his addition become dark at night, along with everything else that is outside.

I'll go update the links now...
Jojon

v0.23

Postby Jojon » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:54 pm

Ok, I guess I can not keep dendwaler's nifty little splishy splashy thingumabob to myself any longer, time to reluctantly share the fun. :7

Links have, as per ususal, been updated in the top post, awaiting anybody who fancies a closer look.

Next up is Corvus, then Ametist.
Attachments
Rell-too_shot_023.jpg
That's the biggest egg cup I've ever seen!
Rell-too_shot_023.jpg (23.63 KiB) Viewed 5789 times
Jojon

Postby diafero » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:40 am

The new version is available on DI now.

An tell you what, the dataserver did not even complain about obsolete sound files :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby dendwaler » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:16 pm

@ jojon,

jojon, please look at the animation again, because it stops/resets after 1/8 of the total animation cycle.
Is it alright on your side?

Exactly what happened before and the common problem i encounter often with large animations.
The moving light sprites are perfect now the movements are relative to the worldcenter!
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby tachzusamm » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:32 pm

Dendwaler, for me the harvester swims a full round, seamlessly, without any break or stop in the animation. If that is what you meant.

In case of problems with long, breaking animations, mostly a previously stored (and maybe shorter or just different) animation from an older exported version of the Age causes the problem. Then simply deleting the belonging .sav file helps to get rid of the problem. ;)

Great work again, by the way. 8-)

This chain letter age is getter better and better, and really interesting and astonishing in some areas. I'm impressed by this project.
tachzusamm

Postby Corvus » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:28 pm

Great job, Dendwaler! Your harvester looks great and the sea with it's lights is beautiful at night.

So, now it's my turn. It's been a while since I opened Blender the last time, but after a few problems I could export successfully.

I hope I can deliver something in around 4 weeks.
"To regard the imagination as metaphysics is to think of it as part of life, and to think of it as part of life is to realize the extent of artifice. We live in the mind."

-Wallace Stevens-
Corvus

Postby Jojon » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:39 pm

@diafero: Thank you, as always! Don't worry; we'll find new extraneous cruft to clog up the pipes with. ;)

@dendwaler and anybody else that has the same problem: Does it help to do as tachzusamm suggests?

@tachzusamm: Contributors keep doing the most ambitious things. It's fun to watch the chaotic growth of the age, from its humble beginnings. :)

@Corvus: Happy to hear you're on the ball - hope you are still having fun, as well! :) I'll PM you the new FTP details right away.
Jojon

Postby tachzusamm » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:53 am

Jojon wrote:@dendwaler and anybody else that has the same problem: Does it help to do as tachzusamm suggests?

Well, in case the assumption that it's caused by an intermediate save point is correct, the problem should not appear to "anybody else" at all, but only to dendwaler, because he's the only person who may have exported the Age with the harvester multiple times during development and visited it in the meantime, and changed the harvester animation after that.
But in case the effect really appears to someone else too, deleting the save file will not help then, I fear.

This, of course, rises some questions: What happens if an already published Age gets a changed animation in an updated version of that Age?
Should Drizzle then remove the .sav file by itself, or does it already?

And some related questions to Diafero: How are age updates handled online? What exactly does /!resetage do? And wouldn't it be a good idea to make this command available offline in the UserKI as well?

But - let's first wait what dendwaler reports.

(Edit: Replaced "Throw up a question" by "rise a question". German to English 1:1 sounds sometimes funny)
Last edited by tachzusamm on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
tachzusamm

Postby dendwaler » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:07 am

Yes, it was the sav file!

I have once known it, but forgotten this issue completely.
More then half a year I am searching why i have so many problems with animations, others seems not to have.
This has costs me uncountable hours.
I had found a workaround, thats why i succeeded in making the animations after all.
I am very glad this problem is solved for me, it gives me more time for production :lol

Thx for mentioning it Tach !

..and i agree we have to overthink how to handle this with updated ageversions, its realy important.
The more mature agebuilding becomes, the more animations will be part of the experience.
As an example, the Harvester has many rotation points not used in this animation, but can be used in a next update.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Showcase