Dolschen DRC Caverns

Show us what you can do! Let us know how you did it!

Dolschen DRC Caverns

Postby Johnbeyer » Fri May 01, 2009 1:05 am

Wip screens of my new age for Uru: Ages beyond myst. The player will arrive in an entirely new world with a cavern to discover at first sight. These are the lost older area's of where the DRC had some encampments which eventually were abandoned. I also recreated several items found in Myst:Revelation to finally close the gap between the myst series.

Entirely made in 3dsmax

Hope you enjoy.
Johnbeyer

Re: Dolschen DRC Caverns

Postby diafero » Fri May 01, 2009 3:07 am

:shock: wow! I like it a lot, thanks for posting :)
I just wonder how you plan to get so many details to Uru... I fear my PC would burst in flams or similar if he tried to render that in real-time ;-)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Jojon » Fri May 01, 2009 3:40 am

Most of the geometry looks angular and workable enough, although some of the rounded bits may have room for some simplification. We haven't got plasma's normal maps figured out yet, but if there are no moving lights, a combination of carefully oriented mapping, vertex paint and lightmaps should be able to produce similar results -- if you are extremely picky with the lighting on the rough surfaces, though, you may want to wait for the normalmaps, since you wouldn't want to bake a huge, highly detailed texture for each individual surface.. .:7

I'm not sure how well large complex non-convex objects take environment maps, since they are projected from the object centre, but it may ("may", I say) prove best to make a simple gold-ish cubemap for the reflections on the metal bits. (again, depending on how much accuracy you are willing to sacrifice (a dynamic reflection cube is still inaccurate, of course))

Still unwilling to give Blender a go and try out an export, while waiting for the "official" tools? :7
Jojon

Postby Johnbeyer » Fri May 01, 2009 5:02 am

I know where you are going Jojon and I know that Plasma doesn't like everything i render out on that screen. I'm just trying to make it look as much as possible when it goes into Uru and yep the bars and stuff probably will be stuffed with normal static reflections.

And no, I hate blender, Love max and Vray :) Noone is able to kick me out of that program haha. lol. Nah but serious blender is not my kind of thing.

Thanks Diafero :)
Johnbeyer

Postby Jojon » Fri May 01, 2009 6:06 am

Dang! I was hoping for a chance to visit already. :7

Looks very D'ni, in a concrete-y way. :)
Jojon

Postby greendragoon » Fri May 01, 2009 6:31 am

Hmm, I wonder if it's possible to bake those bump maps. Wouldn't be quite as good as the real thing, but could help carry some of the detail over.
Robert "greendragoon" Starbuck
As Long as there is MORE,
I will explore.
And as long as my Relto shelf is unfilled,
I will build.
greendragoon

Location: Stuck in Indiana because the cavern door is locked.

Postby The stranger » Tue May 12, 2009 3:35 am

Lookin' good!

I think it will be AWSOME in uru live, also.
The stranger

Postby tobiasniva » Tue May 12, 2009 2:51 pm

Great work John!
And nice to have another max:er around here. :-)
I´ve been struggling with trying to get my stuff into Uru through Blender, with lightmaps baked from Max. But it´s quite of a hazzle as for now...but it´s doable.

And by the way - just LOVE Mr Biped standing back there, hoping not to be noticed. ;-)
tobiasniva

Postby Justintime9 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:10 pm

Quite impressive! Can't wait to see it in URU :D (however long that may be)
Justintime9

Postby Johnbeyer » Wed May 20, 2009 1:09 am

Thanks guys. you all drive me along :)

Yeah, 3dsmax rocks... :D

hehe

anway, here is an animation of the age. have fun and sorry for the youtube-is-to-low-resolution-anyway video :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuK5itZ58OY

Turn your sound on!
Johnbeyer

Next

Return to Tips and Showcase