Yaeviev

Show us what you can do! Let us know how you did it!

Yaeviev

Postby I.Brattin » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:34 am

This is an age I had been working on for some time. I had big plans for this age, maybe bigger then I may have been able to tackle. For example I wanted to put in an underground complex. Well that little complex has yet to materialize. With my current schedule I have decided to turn this age in to a Chain Letter Age.

Pretty much here is what it means to be a Chain Letter Age. Each person will contribute something. They can add or remove any object in the age. So say I add something to island three and you decide to add on to that object. It is entirely possible that the next person could either add on farther or remove the object entirely. That is the appeal of the Chain Letter Age. You never know what you will get next.

The Rules are simple.
...You get one week to work on your submission, exceptions can be made on a case by case basis.
...You can add anything you want or remove anything you want. So for example if you want to build the underground complex your welcome to do so. If you want to remove the Burned House your welcome to do so.
...I will provide instructions for download/upload when its your turn.

You can find the page on Yaeviev on my site.

Contributors

...I.Brattin
*Jojon
Last edited by I.Brattin on Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
Jayden Halliwell (IC Explorer) - 54404
I.Brattin

Re: Chain Letter Age 2: Yaeviev

Postby Jojon » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Ok, let's see (once I'm done with my Relltoo submission, later in the week) if I can't replace that plane for the sea, with an initial waveset.

Is there any background story to the age at present? The structures and the state they are in suggests so. :7
Jojon

Postby I.Brattin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:23 am

Here what got on the backstory. Zander was writing one up for the age but never finished it. Probably got bogged down as I did in other stuff.

Okay. I'm guessing this is going to be a D'ni Age, and presumably there's a reason why the owner didn't simply build a bridge or supply a boat for going between the islands. They needed to be isolated, hence the nexus. The burning of the house, therefore, was probably the result of a failure of that isolation. Island One was where s/he did something dangerous, some sort of potentially explosive experiment, which is why it was barren. Island Two was where s/he lived, hence the house and the greenery. The underground complex was initially where the experiments were prepared.

When the house burned, s/he didn't simply Write another Age, so s/he wasn't a Writer him/herself. S/he had to make do with what s/he had got. Perhaps there was some reason why s/he couldn't approach the Guild for another Age--the experiments had reduced him/her to poverty, or maybe they were illegal and when the house burned the crime was discovered.

Okay. How about making our lead character female? That would explain the illegality of the experiments--I have it from a couple of sources that women weren't allowed to join a Major Guild, and the Minor Guilds don't deal with anything that goes BOOM. That would probably mean the caskets would need to be of husband and child. She practices chemistry or analysis or something surreptitiously while her husband is off being something important, and when it all blows up on her, incidentally killing her family, she takes it as Yahvo's judgment on her rather than a hint to be more careful with her experiments...

Since I am making this CLA I probably will abandon the Nexus/Hood for the time being. I have it done just no linking books between the two ages. If anyone wants to connect the islands by Boat, Bridge, or Cable Car they can. If someone wants to do the linking books I can provide the Nexus/Hood so they can get that setup also. The caskets mentioned in the second quote were to go in the Crypt on Island 3. I just never got around to modeling the caskets.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
I.Brattin

Postby Jojon » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:24 pm

Aha, when I first saw those gazebos on each island, I sort of assumed there were stairs in them and underwater tunnels connecting them through a hug in the centre... :7

I spent the evening checking out Yaeviev, even though I should have been doing my part on Rell-Too...I believe my first contribution, next week, will be to apply a bit of merciless polygon butchering. I reduced the count on a section of the dome in one of the gazebos to one third and could probably take away more detail still, before it gets too disturbing, but I won't. Do you still have the non auto-reduced window meshes lying around? They did suffer quite a bit.

There appear to be a few textures missing, "cracks" and "water" noteably - their paths points to your Bryce and 3DS directories. Are they just placeholders, or do you wish to add them to my copy? :)

Really felt like having a slate roof on the things, but judging by the laps, they are clearly copper, or some other sheet metal.
Jojon

Postby I.Brattin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:05 pm

The Gazebo was modeled in 3DS Max. I exported it as an object file, will zip it up and send it your way.

I will also add the water.png and cracks1l.tif and cracks2l.tif (not sure which one your missing so I am adding both, I don't think both are actually used) to that zip for ya. Not sure how I missed them when I was zipping everything up.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
I.Brattin

Postby I.Brattin » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:34 am

Just a reminder that there is still plenty of room for contributors.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
I.Brattin

Return to Tips and Showcase