The Dome - a little (yet) unnamed age

Show us what you can do! Let us know how you did it!

The Dome - a little (yet) unnamed age

Postby rustee » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:20 pm

Hey guys, I haven't posted at the introduction thread, so I'm Rustee, I've been around for ages, mostly lurking, then got banned and now happily posting again :)
Here is a small age I made for learning purposes. I've never worked with Blender and I knew nothing about Plasma until this little project, so I thought I'd start with something smaller. I already had this scene almost complete (though it took quite a bit of remodelling), it was made for a game project that never happened. As you see, the purpose of this scene is to master some more elaborate texturing and lighting techniques - multipass materials, projection lighting, animated textures, and such. Although the age is really small I hope it does contain a couple those little wow moments for which I personally love Cyan's visuals so much ;)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1986955/dome.zip

I don't have any story for it and there's no particular name for the age - I named it The Dome as a reverence for the game it was designed for, so if there are any suggestions, you're welcome.
I think I know how this could be developed into small puzzle, but apparently this would require python coding and - apparently - another pair of helping hands :P

So enjoy and tell me what do you think.
rustee

Re: The Dome - a little (yet) unnamed age

Postby ZURI » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:33 pm

Nice! Very, very well done. The stained glass and all the little nuances really give it a sunny atmosphere! The "chandalier" is a great touch. I look forward to seeing more of your work. :)
MOULagain KI: 45001
ZURI

Postby Agenotfound » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:06 am

Impressive work and very nice reflexions !

how did you do the animated glow of the chandelier ?
Agenotfound

Postby diafero » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:05 am

Do you want us to put this into UAM? And if yes, with which name if it is (yet) unnamed?
Please be aware that changing the name later on is a hassle. The filename should *never* be changed unless you also change the sequence prefix (just like the sequence prefix should NEVER be changed unless you also change the filename). However, the name displayed in Drizzle and the KI is yet another thing. It can, theoretically, be changed later on - however, Uru saves the name in a lot of places, so someone who already linked to the age with its old name might not see the new name, or see it only in some places, with the old name still sticking around.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby rustee » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:06 am

Thanks guys.

Agenotfound wrote:how did you do the animated glow of the chandelier ?

There are two textures combined, one is a simple round flare and another is animated plasma-like texture.

diafero wrote:Do you want us to put this into UAM?

Not just yet. Now it's nothing but a test.
rustee

Postby ametist » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:34 am

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing rustee :)
ametist

Postby ddb174 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:42 am

It doesn't matter that it's a test! Take a look at the First Age of Dustin ;) If you want to share it, please just say so, and I'll take care of the rest :)
ddb174

Postby nathan2055 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:23 pm

diafero wrote:Do you want us to put this into UAM? And if yes, with which name if it is (yet) unnamed?
Please be aware that changing the name later on is a hassle. The filename should *never* be changed unless you also change the sequence prefix (just like the sequence prefix should NEVER be changed unless you also change the filename). However, the name displayed in Drizzle and the KI is yet another thing. It can, theoretically, be changed later on - however, Uru saves the name in a lot of places, so someone who already linked to the age with its old name might not see the new name, or see it only in some places, with the old name still sticking around.

Back in MOULa, DimensionTravelerCalum described it as:
DimensionTravelerCalum wrote:There are two names, the canon name and the file name. You see the canon name when you go to an Age and look at the KI and when someone else checks you in Player View, and the file name appears in chatting and most other things.
Currently an official representative of the Guild of Writers.
Nathan2055 (01307567) on MO:ULagain - NAL2055 (00071382) on The Deep Island Shard
Community Nexus Project
nathan2055

Postby Chacal » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:35 am

I just now tried this Age. Beautiful and resting.
All it needs is a bench and a soothing music.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Return to Tips and Showcase