[URU] Variables (\%m \%d \%y \%H \%M %1 %2)

Uru Localization Project

[URU] Variables (\%m \%d \%y \%H \%M %1 %2)

Postby OHB » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:25 am

Anytime you see something like %M or %1 - that is a variable. A variable is something that the client will insert at that point - substituting the variable name for the real value. Sometimes it is preceded by a backslash (\)...if it's there in the original, it needs to be there in the translation.

For date fields there is %m (month) %d (day) and %y (year). For the United States, the format is \%m/\%d/\%y. This will turned to something like 02/05/2010.

For time fields there is %H (hour) and %M (minutes). This will display the time in 24-hour format like: 22:10.

Finally, some fields have a %1 or a %2. These can stand for anything but are typically used to display avatar names or age names.

There is a field called "Possessive" which for English has "%1s's %2s". If %1 is "OHB" and %2 is "Relto" we will get "OHB's Relto". But each language is different. For example, I translated this to Spanish as "%2 de %1" (Relto of OHB).

If you need help with this, just ask! :)
Last edited by OHB on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OHB

Re: Variables (\%m \%d \%y \%H \%M %1 %2)

Postby Jenneth » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:03 pm

I'm translating the date format to Finnish, and I have a question.
In Finnish, the separators are periods instead of slashes, and I'm wondering if the periods need any escaping? Like, would the this string \%d.\%m.\%y turn out like 06.09.2010 or do I need to add any additional escaping?
Jenneth

Postby OHB » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:24 am

Jenneth wrote:I'm translating the date format to Finnish, and I have a question.
In Finnish, the separators are periods instead of slashes, and I'm wondering if the periods need any escaping? Like, would the this string \%d.\%m.\%y turn out like 06.09.2010 or do I need to add any additional escaping?

I don't think so. Put in the periods without slashes...and I'll check into it. If it turns out slashes are needed I will modify your translation.

Thanks Jenneth!
OHB

Postby Frej » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:17 pm

Is the '<alright!>' in:
You have been offered a link to "%1s"<alright!>. Do you want to go?
a variable that should be kept identical or how do I treat it?

Frej
Frej

Postby OHB » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:21 pm

Frej wrote:Is the '<alright!>' in:
You have been offered a link to "%1s"<alright!>. Do you want to go?
a variable that should be kept identical or how do I treat it?

Frej

That particular string isn't used in MO:UL anymore. But, we'll translate it anyway. Things in <angle brackets> aren't variables and should be translated. The "alright" is meant to convey "awesome!" or "right on!" or "woohoo!".
OHB

Return to GULP