Journals

Uru Localization Project

Journals

Postby Silent Warrior » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:28 pm

Another new topic from your friendly translator-demon.

Maybe this is only for swedes, or other scandinavians... How should we translate 'journal'? 'Journal' by itself is only ever used in Swedish in the context of medical journals. Other variants include a kind of schedule, calendar... The kind of journal Myst/Uru seems to use correspond more to my idea of a diary - but wouldn't Cyan call it a diary instead of a journal, then? Logs?

:? Lognal? Jourg? Jouriary?
Eh, I don't think I should make up new words, never mind for this purpose...
Silent Warrior

Re: Journals

Postby Luna » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:00 pm

I think that they used "Journal" because it is some what more official. 'Diary" is kind of personal and also often used for "Agenda".

But now you say it, Dutch has the same problem too in a way....
Code: Select all
long longestTimeWithoutPlayingMoula = (new Date()) - (new Date(2014, 9, 26));
Luna

Postby Frej » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:08 pm

Maybe Anteckningar (notes). Dagbok works for some items but in the URU software 'journal' is us used genearally for any diary, or translation work in progress etc, am I right?
Frej

Postby OHB » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:15 pm

Frej wrote:Maybe Anteckningar (notes). Dagbok works for some items but in the URU software 'journal' is us used genearally for any diary, or translation work in progress etc, am I right?

Yeah, journal is a somewhat generic term. How about "notebook"? Or something like that? Remember, if you or someone else comes up with something better you can always go back and change it. :)
OHB

Postby Silent Warrior » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:15 pm

Gotcha, anteckningar/notebook it is! Now to go ALL the way back and change every occurrence. ;)

[Edit] Aaah! Saying that this made it look loads better doesn't begin to describe it! Of course, this causes a slight predicament in Sharper's journal where he mentions both journals and notes in the same sentence, where both now translate to the same Swedish word. Oh well, easily sorted! :) Now, behold my tremendous progress!
Silent Warrior

Postby OHB » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:44 am

Silent Warrior wrote:Gotcha, anteckningar/notebook it is! Now to go ALL the way back and change every occurrence. ;)

[Edit] Aaah! Saying that this made it look loads better doesn't begin to describe it! Of course, this causes a slight predicament in Sharper's journal where he mentions both journals and notes in the same sentence, where both now translate to the same Swedish word. Oh well, easily sorted! :) Now, behold my tremendous progress!

For Sharper's journal, why not translate as "diaries and notebooks"?
OHB

Postby Silent Warrior » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:27 am

That's a good idea, but I think it works well enough if he only 'found notebooks'. I'll go over it again, at least put this in as a comment.
Silent Warrior

Return to GULP