Is there a way to run DI alongside others URU installs?

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Re: Is there a way to run DI alongside others URU installs?

Postby diafero » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:19 am

Uru however could handle multiple instances of different installations at the same time without problems - but it does not know that the UruExplorer.exe it sees is from a different installation.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Tahgtahv » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:33 pm

I believe the idea was one computer, one player at a time. However the fact that it has to update files may be an issue too. I'm certain they could have allowed multiple instance if they wanted that to be allowed though.
Proud member of the Guild of Inkmakers
Tahgtahv

Postby Annabelle » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:19 pm

Ok thx for all the inputs.

I have now 4 URU installs running well, I will try to install the 2 other ones to see if all goes right. And for the DI patch, it shouldn't affect all my URU installs, well I will try it right now and be back here with updates.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Annabelle » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:50 pm

So far so good :)

I'm now trying a 7th install of URU which will be my new URU CC w/ drizzle as standalone since the one I already have is on a full disc 99,5% capacity, I will get rid of this old install for the new one.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby diafero » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:39 am

I hope this works all fine then!
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Karkadann » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:15 am

I was wondering, Is it possible to install two shards on the same Uru CC program, switching between them at the start up screens, or do I need to install an additional Uru CC program for each shard?
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby diafero » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:39 am

That depends on the Shards - only Shards that are compatible (which generally means they use the same dataserver) can be switched between. Currently, DI is not compatible with any other public Shard.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Rabbit » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:15 am

Just a quick question here, as I'm about to take the plunge into DI for the first time.

I am using my existing UruCC as a means of testing my new Age. If I install DI, will I lose that ability? Or will I have to reinstall UCC as a second installation so I can still see my work?

If so, can I just get away with copy-paste all the UCC files to somewhere else?

Apologies if this has already been asked before.
Rabbit

Postby Chuckles58 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:05 am

Rabbit, I have used the copy/paste method to clone my ABM/ToDni/POTS directory several times. I usually finish by making a shortcut to my desktop of Urusetup.exe for each, and naming the shortcut for the specific version.
Image<----Click for info
Chuckles58

Postby diafero » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:32 am

The best way to get several (working ;-) ) installations is to copy the whole Uru folder after POTS was installed, but before you did any further (community-hacked) patches - this copy then also servers as backup should you break your offline or Shard installation. http://www.guildofwriters.com/wiki/TPOTS_Installation describes how you could get such an installation. If you copy an existing installation, be aware that some old patches might be carried over that the Shard or new patches are not compatible with.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Previous

Return to Deep Island