Stack error

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Stack error

Postby 4runner » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:11 am

I have DI loaded on my G drive in its own folder. I am running Vista 32 bit OS. The game runs basically ok except for when I try to use the link book in the library to Todemer. It loads fine but to a black screen which eventually gives me a stack error. I haven't gotten far enough into the game to try to get to the descent in the desert. I had to use drizzle in my xp machine to get Myst V converted because Vista gave me trouble with Drizzle. It didn't recognize the .jar file as executable, it regarded it as a zip file. I then copied the converted CC back to my Vista machine. In the Xp machine I do not get a stack error.
4runner

Re: Stack error

Postby diafero » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:50 am

If you can't have Uru in your user profile, please make sure that normal users have write privileges in your Uru folder:
Right click that folder, go to properties, then the Security tab. Click on 'Edit', select the 'Users' group, and allow 'Full control' for that group.

Also, if you post the stackdump, maybe someone can narrow the issue down.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Old Wolle » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:02 am

Oh, write privileges are sometimes not enough. You need full access to your URU folder.

And the problem with Drizzle... I think, your pack program grabs the extension ".jar". You need to do a rightclick on the .jar-file and choose "Open with". Then you need to search for your "java.exe"-file which is in the folder where you have installed the JRE.
The word "vegetarian" has an Indian origin and can be translated as: "the one who is too dumb to hunt".

Das Wort "Vegetarier" hat einen indianischen Ursprung und bedeutet übersetzt "Der zu blöd zum Jagen ist".
Old Wolle

Postby 4runner » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:36 am

Thanks all. Got drizzle working properly and I re-installed Uru CC into a folder on my desktop. No more stack errors.
4runner

Postby Old Wolle » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:45 am

Glad to hear that. Have fun exploring. :)
The word "vegetarian" has an Indian origin and can be translated as: "the one who is too dumb to hunt".

Das Wort "Vegetarier" hat einen indianischen Ursprung und bedeutet übersetzt "Der zu blöd zum Jagen ist".
Old Wolle

Postby cennie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:24 pm

Not sure where to report this error:

Exception type: Access violation
Call stack (14 levels):
0x770CD0E9
0x00869D54
0x00475D0F
0x0047658B
0x005D83D9
0x005D84F8
0x005D8A53
0x005D9132
0x004D3E19
0x004D5709
0x004E3353
0x004E352A
0x004EAA13
0x004EADE4
<end>
Cennie
cennie

Postby Old Wolle » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:30 pm

I think, you got the stack error in Eder Licinius. Some people (me too) have problems there by going to the water.
I don't know what the reason is.

Old Wolle

Postby Wamduskasapa » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:59 pm

I also was getting that error right after adding the Atlantis Outpost & Box ages. I deleted those additions and have not had a problem since...

why that worked I don't know...
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby diafero » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:08 am

Wamduskasapa, was it exactly the same error (as in, showing the same numbers and letters)? That would be rather unlikely. Box Age is crashy for some people, as well as Odema and Eder Licinius. No other fan age comes to my mind currently.

Also, cennie - as Old Wolle already wrote - the stackdump is useless without knowing where in the game you were and what you did when you got it.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:00 am

A quick look at cennie's stack dump shows that there is something going wrong when fetching a layer referenced by a certain material. I cannot give any more conclusive results without explicit instructions on how to reproduce this error. If it is a problem with the age itself, we/I can probably patch the age to stop the error from occurring. Anyway, I have to dash for class now.

EDIT: The error is occurring deep inside the code that applies shadows to the materials. It looks like a null material or layer. A null layer somehow seems most likely, but we will never know without detailed instructions on how to reproduce the issue
Last edited by Tsar Hoikas on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Addenum
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Next

Return to Deep Island