Age names on shard status page

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Age names on shard status page

Postby Pavitra » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Would it be feasible to pass Age names through the standard display filter for the shard status page, so that (for example) we see "D'ni-Ae'gura" instead of "city" and "So-and-so's Relto" instead of "Personal"?
Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani
Pavitra

Re: Age names on shard status page

Postby diafero » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:18 am

Oh, I'd like to see that, too, it's however quite complicated:
Even the individual game server managing an age instance currently does not know the user-visible name of the age, let alone the central tracking server (which coordinates the other servers and forwards messages between them, for example for inter-age chat). So, as usual it would be technically doable, but a whole lot of work :(
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:42 am

On a semi-related note...

Diafero: could you add a redirect link in this forum section to the Shard Status page? Just as a quick way for people via their browsers to see who's online.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby diafero » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:31 pm

The status page is actually still a WIP and waiting for some awesomeness by Tweek. That will be done once it's ready :) (and I think Hoikas will have to do it, or I will just add a global announcement - I can not add redirect links).
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Paradox » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:14 pm

diafero wrote:Oh, I'd like to see that, too, it's however quite complicated:
Even the individual game server managing an age instance currently does not know the user-visible name of the age, let alone the central tracking server (which coordinates the other servers and forwards messages between them, for example for inter-age chat). So, as usual it would be technically doable, but a whole lot of work :(

If you're able to run a function on the strings before printing them, I have a function from prpl-uruki that "prettifies" the Age names.
It uses libHSPlasma's plString right now, but it should be easy enough to port to std::string or char*.
http://dev.zrax.net/hg/prpl-uruki/file/c72db1067593/src/kiUtils.cpp
Paradox

Postby diafero » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:32 am

Oh, of course that would be doable, but I definitely do not want an age filename <-> visiable name table in the server. It's already bad enough taht each linking responder decides about that itself...

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Pavitra » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:01 am

This is by no means a good solution, but I've been using a greasemonkey script I hacked together.
Seltani
Pavitra

Postby diafero » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:30 am

Can that script perhaps use the file(s) shipped with the Offline KI? They contain a mapping for *all* the ages.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Pavitra » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:42 am

That would be the optimal solution, but the script would have to read in and parse those files, which is already probably more than I can handle, and before it could do that it would have to locate the files, which would probably require displaying a file selection dialog and storing persistent data, which is definitely beyond me.

So, uh, feel free.
Seltani
Pavitra

Postby diafero » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:46 am

Or it could fetch the files from the web and cache them somewhere... ;-)

Last time I did greasemonkey scripting is three and a half years ago. The script I wrote back then was rather largish though (some thousand lines) and it even had an auto-updater... but I forgot most of what I learned :lol: . But, I think if I spend time on this, I'd rather do it right... and that's a huge task, not sure when I am motivated enough for it (not to mention the time factor).

But, anyway, I think your script is a good solution for those that can not stand the filenames in that list! :)

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Return to Deep Island