Steam Version of Uru CC

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Re: Steam Version of Uru CC

Postby kaelisebonrai » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:43 am

@chestnut: are you on win7 64bit? (there have been some reports of issues with uru.exe on win7 64bit, iirc)
kaelisebonrai

Postby diafero » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:46 am

But those also apply for UruSetup.exe, kaelis.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby kaelisebonrai » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:55 am

Keiya specifically reported that Uru.exe /only/ crashes 50% of the time. =)

And that urusetup.exe did not have that issue. ;)

(and i've heard a couple of other reports of that, too =P)
kaelisebonrai

Postby diafero » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:10 am

Uh, then why did nobody ever tell me? ;-)

There is exactly one difference between Uru.exe and UruSetup.exe: The filename. As a result, Uru.exe does not run in admin mode, while UruSetup.exe does. So, if this exhibits any difference in behaviour, I very much suspects that Uru.exe does not have the full access it needs to the folder. Please note that Write Access does not suffice!
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Old Wolle » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:11 pm

I have the same issues under Win7 64bit. I tested it a long time and it happenes with Uru.exe, UruSetup.exe or other filenames. It has nothing to do with missing permissions because I have full access to my URU folder. I also heared about this issues under Win7 32bit.
I think, it has something to do with updates, but I'm not sure about that. When I have this issue, I first press "OK" instead of "play" and when I get no error more, I start URU normal.
The word "vegetarian" has an Indian origin and can be translated as: "the one who is too dumb to hunt".

Das Wort "Vegetarier" hat einen indianischen Ursprung und bedeutet übersetzt "Der zu blöd zum Jagen ist".
Old Wolle

Postby diafero » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:12 am

However, I got reports from kaelis that keiya has the issue of Uru.exe crashing often, while UruSetup.exe works. So, maybe, there are two problems here.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Old Wolle » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:52 am

When the reason of the bug are missing permissions then Uru.exe will crash everytime and not sometimes.
Sometimes I have the feeling that URU starts too fast. Saying that in english what I mean is very hard for me but perhaps the downloaded update files are still in check from a antivirus or antispyware program and Uru has no access at this time to files and it crashs then..??
The word "vegetarian" has an Indian origin and can be translated as: "the one who is too dumb to hunt".

Das Wort "Vegetarier" hat einen indianischen Ursprung und bedeutet übersetzt "Der zu blöd zum Jagen ist".
Old Wolle

Previous

Return to Deep Island