Steam Version of Uru CC

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Steam Version of Uru CC

Postby JonAct » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:23 am

Shorah everyone!

Is it possible to use the Uru: CC Steam Version for a Deep Island installation?
Should I try the Copy/Paste installation instruction?

Greetings

JonAct
JonAct

Re: Steam Version of Uru CC

Postby kaelisebonrai » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:33 am

Well, I once tried to use a steam install, and failed.. but.. I converted moul with drizzle26, which may have caused the issue. >.>

I'd recommend copying the install outside of the steam folders, though, then applying the patch. =)

Give it a go, and let us know how it works. =)
kaelisebonrai

Postby Chestnut » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:37 pm

I was just about to ask this question! I am currently downloading Uru CC on steam RIGHT now, and I just pretty much spent the last 2 weeks during time off exploring and finishing every age in Uru Live, (The free version from CYAN) and since I lost my URU path of the shells in a hurricane a long time ago, I bought it on Steam (Great deal by the way) and I am hoping that I can get shards working with it on that version, if you have any ideas, hints, or any kind of info on how you did it, or if it can be done please let us know!! :)

-Nut
Chestnut

Postby Chestnut » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:14 pm

Ok, time for a "Steam-Uru-Deep Island Shard" Update:

Uru CC finished downloading on steam, Making a backup of the game was the first thing I did, steamapps/common/uru cc/

I took the entire directory, and put it in a backup directory elsewhere on my C:\ Drive.

Then, I copied the uru di-patcher.zip contents stright into the directory, Steam was open the entire time, I overwrote the files steam had downloaded, and started uru.exe (and not the uruexplorer.exe that came with steam) and steam had a hissy fit, Threw a gasket, so what did I do? Closed it down completely, then started the patcher again. It is right now updateing apprently, and doing well 67 megs of the 136.1 downloaded so far. It did throw me an error about half way though the first time, so I was forecd to close it, I started it again and its gotten past the point it crashed last time. It is apprently working now.

I am hopeful that once it is finished, I will be able to launch it completely without steam (once you have the files from steam)

I will update this message when the patching is done and let everyone know how it went. if it does work, then This will be good news for ALL steam owners of the game! Infact, it done correctly it could even work very well, and allowing more users to help support cyan by Buying the game on steam! even though its free, with the free verson you don't get any player added mods, only the orginal, but if you buy it on steam you will get the player made stuff and still be able to play it online!

I am positivity quivering in aintipation!

as I know more, you will know more!

-Nut

----- Update ----

It works!

'nuff said.

-Nut
Chestnut

Postby kaelisebonrai » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:28 pm

just as a note: you can still support Cyan by buying the gog.com version, as well >.>

Good to hear you got it working. =)
kaelisebonrai

Postby diafero » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:00 am

Awesome news, thanks!

On Windows Vista and 7, the folder in which Uru is running in the end should be somewhere in your user profile (C:\Users\...). Besides, I advise not to patch and run it directly in the steam content folder, because steam will most likely patch it again once it notices that someone changed its files.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Chestnut » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:48 pm

Update: Ok well windows 7 with steam install of uru CC works fine, some info about it, you can even run it without starting steam but you have to use the urusetup file to get into it. However, it will give you an error saying "You're starting uru with admin rights" or something like that, it however is lying and it doesnt seem to effect the game in any way. If you try to launch uru cc though steam THEN it seems to want to update the files and change things around.

So the best way to do it, is to follow my instructions above, and then just launch URU.exe from the folder in your steamapps/common/uru cc

This works fine and doesn't require steam to be online, and the game runs nearly flawless like for me. If anyone has any problems let me know and i'll try to help you get it working.
Chestnut

Postby diafero » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:49 am

Wait, it gives you the "Please use Uru.exe so no admin rights are used" even though you *are* using Uru.exe? That means that the privileges of the folder are somewhat weird, and you do not have write access to UruSetup.exe...
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Chestnut » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:22 am

Sorry for any confusion, no it only gives me the admin rights message when using urusetup.exe to launch uru.

Uru.exe doesnt seem to work, so I am having to launch though urusetup.exe
Chestnut

Postby diafero » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:38 am

What does Uru.exe do instead of working? It works fine here, as well as for anyone I spoke with so far.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Next

Return to Deep Island