Failed to download one or more files

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Re: Failed to download one or more files

Postby diafero » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:49 pm

This still does not explain what happened, but I am glad to see the issue fixed - somehow :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Pavitra » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:24 pm

Thank you for your help. I don't mind trying to hunt down what caused it, if you want.

Could it possibly have been caused by an unclean shutdown at some point during the startup process? I think that's happened a few times.
Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani
Pavitra

Postby diafero » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:44 am

I don't have the slightest idea - obviously your PC was somehow unable either to download or to store the file. The first can be excluded because it works for everyone else and other files download fine for you from the same server. The 2nd can be excluded because you could perfectly well store it manually and the suer had the necessary privileges. Looking at what is requested and received via Wireshark might give some insight whether downloading *really* worked.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Pavitra » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:48 am

Wireshark looks really technical and complicated. :(
Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani
Pavitra

Postby Theo1728 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:09 pm

Okay, I've done it as discussed.
Uninstalled, Deleted folder with all contents, and Formatted the 8G Flash Drive.
Installed URU:CC from CDs.
The Patcher took nearly two hours, (I will admit that I was playing MOULa most of that time, but I logged out before it finished).
Same error message as before:
Box with Red Ball and "X" in it, and:

"Error while running UruStarter
The age dat/Descent.age is not installed, but required to log in. Uru can not be started."

Did I somehow break my Athlon64 2GB RAM WinXP system through endless retuning back in '08 when I tried to make it run RealMYST? It runs MOULa and URU:CC, but seems to get stuck here.
Theo1728

Postby diafero » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:38 am

This time that file is simply missing. No way a valid install could look like that. Did you follow the wiki page to make a proper installation? Installing just following the wizard does not work on WinVista and above.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Theo1728 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:56 pm

WinVista and above? I'm running WinXP Home Edition, Service Pack 3. Where I got the Patcher? From this forum, Setting up a Deep Island client
by diafero » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:13 am

"
First you need a clean Uru - Complete Chronicles (or Uru - The Path of the Shell) installation. I suggest to use Wolle's installation guide to get one.

Then download the _Deep_Island_patcher_.
"

(That link right there, >Deep Island patcher<).

Is that one out of date? Will the correct one work from here, or do I need to uninstall and start over?
Theo1728

Postby diafero » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:51 am

The link is correct. I am really quite at loss what went wrong there, sorry. The installation guide also contains instructions for WinXP and below, but usually the "normal" installation should work there, too.
All I know for sure is that this error message means that the whole age o9f Descent is missing in your installation. Which means you either did not install The Path Of The Shell (just plain Ages Beyond Myst), or something went *seriously* wrong - and I have no idea what.

Did anyone else have similar issues?

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby rubimai » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:21 am

Yes, I DID have that problem yesterday.

Last night, when I started this process, I got as far as the username and password request, ignored the invites and savegame messages, downloaded the update, and then got the
"Error while running UruStarter. The age dat/Descent.age is not installed, but required to log in. Uru can not be started." message. So I removed that installation and started over this morning.

I started by installing a new, clean copy. I am using Windows XP MCE, SP3, Dell XPS, Intel/Pentium, using Mozilla Firefox. I am not experienced technically and I am having a lot of trouble understanding the directions. I do not understand intuitively what needs to happen, so if my situation doesn’t match the instructions, I can’t improvise. I am using “Myst Uru Complete Chronicles”. I have downloaded a new clean copy (and copied that folder to a separate location as a back-up.) The new, clean copy is in "C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\Cyan Worlds". Then, Wolle says “Rename ‘Uru Ages Beyond Myst’ according to how you plan to use this installation.”

First, I don’t have anything called “Uru Ages Beyond Myst” (ABM) or “The Path of the Shell” (TPOTS).

Second, I’m not sure what “according to how you plan to use this installation” means, but I did rename my “Myst Uru Complete Chronicles” folder to “Deep Island Myst Uru”.

Third, when I restart CC, it does not offer an uninstallation. So I skipped this step.

I renamed “Uru.exe” as “Uruold.exe” and renamed “UruSetup.exe” as “Uru.exe”. I downloaded the Deep Island patcher from the link provided. I am not sure about the meaning of “Extract the content in the directory with your clean CC or TPOTS installation”, but I put the di-patcher.zip folder into the “Deep Island Myst Uru” folder and extracted the files.

(This step also is not intuitive. The default directory offered for placing the un-zipped files seems incorrect. Apparently you need to edit out the name of the .zip folder. This is probably second nature to the people running di, but it is not obvious to an inexperienced end-user.)

I've logged in, passed the invites and savegames messages again, and I'm downloading the update again...

aaaand--I'm IN!
rubimai

Postby diafero » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:37 am

Great to hear it worked :) . I will edit the wiki page to change the folder name - maybe there are some slightly different versions out there that use different names for the default installation folder?

The un-zip suggesting to place the files into a subfolder is most likely your zip application (Windows builtin, 7-zip, whatever) trying to be smart. I can not do much about this, unfortunately.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Deep Island