Failed to download one or more files

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Re: Failed to download one or more files

Postby rubimai » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:39 am

diafero wrote:The un-zip suggesting to place the files into a subfolder is most likely your zip application (Windows builtin, 7-zip, whatever) trying to be smart. I can not do much about this, unfortunately.

Where SHOULD it go?
rubimai

Postby diafero » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:13 am

The extracted files should go directly into the existing Uru folder, where UruExplorer.exe and so on reside.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Theo1728 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:58 am

Progress Thus Far
After repeated attempts, I have finally gotten URU:DI to run, at least some of it. Standard installation procedures did not work and from what others have said, it's not as it should be.

I know it's not URU:CC, because it has text messagers advertising availability of the Eders in Bevin near the Link room, Pods near the Museum and Minkata and Jelak near the library, as well as having pages of coded messages in the Egg Rooms. What's missing are working Relto pages and Link Categories in Nexus. In MOULa, the Nexus display reads "City Locations", "Private Links", "Public Links" and "Personal Links", but in my URU:DI Nexus display, they all read "Link Category", and none of them work! (There are also titles: "Link Name, Link Info, Public/Private, Name Header, Pop Header, English, Francois and Deutsch," that I'm not used to seeing). The only accessible list that I have is for city location links. A friend tried to send me an Invitation to his Relto, and all I seem to have gotten is a couple of KI-Mails. I haven't been able to reach the Links themselves in Nexus.

I had been wondering if I had to follow some or all of the instructions in the Egg Room notes to reach the New Fan Ages, or at what stage of play they were reached and/or add them to my Second Shelf, (which is empty), but I have been informed that the Second Shelf should have had books since the beginning.

What need I do next?
-Theo-
Last edited by Theo1728 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theo1728

Postby diafero » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:39 pm

This looks like something Python-related is broken for you. Are you using Windows Vista or above? Where did you put your Uru installation? The standard installation process should work, so if it did not, what did it do that it should not?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby cennie » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:14 pm

funny now its saying that myst5 and a few others didn't load..
Cennie
cennie

Postby Theo1728 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:12 pm

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition. I put my installation in a Flash drive because my HD is kind of maxed out and I cannot afford to put existing configurations at risk. It went to:
E:Program Files\Ubi Soft\Cyan Worlds\Myst Uru Complete Chronicles, (please note that my previous posting has been edited to include more detail).

The standard installation did not work. If I tried to run DI Patcher, it said that Descent was not installed, but required to Log In. If I tried to rename urusetup.exe to uru.exe it would not take. If I deleted uru.exe and attempted to do the rename, when I tried to run it, it told me that my installation had been corrupted and would have to be redone. So, I ran the DI Patcher in its own folder, then copied the entire contents of what resulted, (the ninety-minute update), into the above folder, and told it to overwrite all as necessary. It doesn't run from the Windows start menu, but if I go to the folder I can double-click the executable and it runs. Almost. I will readily admit that this is not a standard installation process. What I have is clearly not URU:CC or MOULa, but it's not URU:DI in its entirety either.

-Theo-

Addendum: Got somebody else into my Relto, and he sees seventeen more books on my shelves than I do, (and he sent me the Pic). Can reach Ahnonay Cathedral, but the Ahnonay book there doesn't work. Reached D'ni Reezero, started markers, but there're only five. Of course I can't get to the GZ through Nexus. Tried the Bevin Eders, Tsogal cloths responded, Delin alternated between summer and winter, winter cloths didn't respond, no doors ever responded. Got both Eder stones, but not by going through the doors.

-In case this helps, Theo-
Theo1728

Postby diafero » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:27 am

You definitely miss a bunch of crucial files, and for some reason, Uru is unable to download them. Almost as if you would not have the privileges to access the folders you need. I never heard of Uru running on a flash drive, but then, it should still work. Maybe the flash drive is full and Uru can not store the files? Or does it have some "read-only" kind of switch?

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Theo1728 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:54 pm

There is no "Read Only" switch on this flash drive. Capacity is nearly eight Gigabytes, so it should be big enough, even with the backup files on board. I should ask though: Which file should I be executing? It doesn't run if I use the Windows "Start" menu, so I go to the file and run the executable. Should that executable be Uru.exe, Urusetup.exe, or UruExplorer.exe? Maybe I've just been running the wrong one!

-Theo-
Theo1728

Postby diafero » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:01 am

Uru.exe is the "right" one.

Well, 8GB can be quite narrow, my full Uru installation takes 9 GB (containing all the fan ages, converted ages and so on). What does it say how much space is elft on the flash drive?

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Theo1728 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:59 pm

I'm sorry, I had no idea it was so large. I thought it was closer to the size of MOULa. The flash drive appears to be maxed out, with 177MB of space left. No space left to run it, huh? If I tried to install URU:DI in the 20 or so Gig left in my 80GB (76GB) drive, I might well cripple my system. I guess I need to invest in another HD or 16GB flash, or something.

-Theo-
Theo1728

PreviousNext

Return to Deep Island