Failed to download one or more files

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Failed to download one or more files

Postby Pavitra » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:57 pm

I can't get past the data-checking stage when trying to log in to DI. I seem not to be downloading new Ages or updates, and I get an error saying "Failed to download one or more files". I tried upgrading to Drizzle28 and reconverting the MQ files, with no result. I tried setting up a new, clean DI install from the GOG installer file and the DI patcher zipfile, again with no result.

Is anyone else experiencing these symptoms?
Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani
Pavitra

Re: Failed to download one or more files

Postby Old Wolle » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:17 pm

That sounds that you have not enough permissions. It has nothing to do with the MQ files.
Do you have Windows Vista or Windows 7?
The word "vegetarian" has an Indian origin and can be translated as: "the one who is too dumb to hunt".

Das Wort "Vegetarier" hat einen indianischen Ursprung und bedeutet übersetzt "Der zu blöd zum Jagen ist".
Old Wolle

Postby Pavitra » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:29 pm

Linux/Wine. I'll try messing around with what version it's pretending to be.
Seltani
Pavitra

Postby Pavitra » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:17 pm

I tried it with XP, Vista, and 7, with no visible change in behavior.
Seltani
Pavitra

Postby diafero » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:13 am

Is that the download before or after logging in that fails? Also, could you PM/email me the file "Patcher.0.elf" from the log directory after your next attempt?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Theo1728 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:49 pm

How about this one?
"Error while running UruStarter
The age dat/Descent.age is not installed, but required to log in. Uru can not be started."

Suggestions, anyone?
Theo1728

Postby diafero » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:07 am

This means that one of the Descent age files is invalid. The log\UruStarter.log file will contain the name of the invalid file. This is most likely caused by your Uru installation not being a new clean one with just the DI patcher applied, but some old one you copied. A re-installation should fix the issue.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Theo1728 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:51 am

So I just Uninstall and Reinstall the whole thing, and I should be okay? By "Clean," you mean a URU:CC install that's never been played, or even otherwise tested, yes?
Theo1728

Postby Old Wolle » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:10 am

Clean means, no patches or AddOns are in the installation. Here you can read how to make a new install of Uru for DI. There is no need to deinstall your old installation.
The word "vegetarian" has an Indian origin and can be translated as: "the one who is too dumb to hunt".

Das Wort "Vegetarier" hat einen indianischen Ursprung und bedeutet übersetzt "Der zu blöd zum Jagen ist".
Old Wolle

Postby Theo1728 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:25 am

Now they tell me! In other words, even though I had played it briefly, (like three Journey Cloths in Cleft-briefly), what I had was a "Clean Install", and what caused my problem was most likely something else?

I had played Uru:CC in 2008, and uninstalled it in February to make room for MOULa. To get the necessary room, I installed Uru:CC on a removable 8Gig flash drive. First time, I ran out of time and stomped on the Sound Decompression in progress. Second time was the "dat/Descent.age" problem I mentioned above. I have now uninstalled and reinstalled it a third time, though this time I didn't delete the DI-Patcher files, since these took about 75 minutes to download last time.

I will now attempt the "patch". Let's see how it goes....

Failed!

Same error message as before. Where does dat/Descent.age reside? Is it on my disks, or part of the Patch? Is there a way to replace it by itself?
Theo1728

Next

Return to Deep Island