Failed to download one or more files

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Re: Failed to download one or more files

Postby diafero » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:28 am

The install most likely was not clean from the start - I only recently added that consistency check for all POTS files. I also just uploaded a new version of it so that it should now tell you the actual name of the file that is problematic (instead of just the age).

And no, the server can not fix that, or it would not show that error message. Some file on your disc (in the dat folder of Uru) is different from how it is for everyone else, which is strange.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Theo1728 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:02 pm

So you have improved diagnostics for me. Thank you. Beyond that, is there a treatment or cure? And which of the .exe files should I be using to attempt the repatch anyway? Thanks in advance, Theo.
Theo1728

Postby diafero » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:17 pm

The cure is a full re-installation following http://www.guildofwriters.com/wiki/TPOTS_Installation
Also, the improved diagnostics is worthless if you do not tell me what the error message now is ;-)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Theo1728 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:43 pm

A full re-installation, following those instructions, "Then you insert your Path of the Shell installation CD and uninstall Uru." Okay, I renamed my MOULa files a few days ago before I tried doing this. I expect my lowest risk, cleanest path will be to uninstall, delete remaining traces and format the media used. This had been my day off. I won't be able to re-attempt the installation or patch download until the weekend.

Thank you very much, nil desperandum. I'm not giving up, but it may be a few days before you hear from me again.
Theo1728

Postby diafero » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:23 am

Formatting a drive should not be necessary, but yes, a clean install is the best you can do.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Pavitra » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:35 pm

diafero wrote:Is that the download before or after logging in that fails? Also, could you PM/email me the file "Patcher.0.elf" from the log directory after your next attempt?

(Sorry I took so long. When I saw this post I had already started reinstalling Wine, and it took a while to get everything running again.)

I wasn't aware there was more than one download, but I think it's after logging in, in that it occurs after giving my username and password and selecting a character, although it's before the game window proper opens (for example, Cyan's logo doesn't play).

My log/patcher.0.elf (I only found lowercase-p) is here.
Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani
Pavitra

Postby diafero » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:16 am

The problem seems to be the one described by these lines:
Setting up to download temp file for ./ageresources/Adrael--BETA Release Notes.txt
Downloading file ./ageresources/Adrael--BETA Release Notes.txt.gz...
Download failed. Aborting...
(DatServer error: )
Unable to download file ageresources/Adrael--BETA Release Notes.txt
Which is strange however, since the file is there and downloads fine for me. Does the ageresources folder exist at all for you? Does the user you use to run wine have write privileges into it?

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Pavitra » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:30 am

The ageresources directory exists and I have write privileges, and there are several other files in it already. I downloaded that file into the directory manually from the link you gave, and I don't see any change in behavior visible from within the application. Running the game seems to delete the file from ageresources/ as a side effect.

The md5 of the Adrael textfile, as I have it, is 5acccbc6e48bf4cb261c4ae98687a8cd.

I didn't see anything human-readable-looking in patcher.0.elf with PlasmaCrypt afterward, but I've attached it anyway.
Attachments
patcher.0.elf.tar.gz
(184 Bytes) Downloaded 261 times
Seltani
Pavitra

Postby diafero » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:30 am

Did you uncompress the file I linked? The correct md5 is 95256342e31e2752cb9b03c16421dd5b

Also, the file you attached is corrupted in some way... with 45 byte it's also way too small for the usual logfiles.

The only thing coming to my mind is deleting the ageresources folder and check if anything gets re-downloaded properly. Seeing nobody else has the issue and the file looks fine, I am quite at loss :(

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Pavitra » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Whoops, no I didn't. Once I did that, the manual-download strategy made the problem go away. I'm in the DRA office now.
Seltani
Pavitra

PreviousNext

Return to Deep Island