Relto Shelf

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Re: Relto Shelf

Postby kaelisebonrai » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:21 pm

er... personally, I'd rather not have kerath's arch on it, myself..... =/
kaelisebonrai

Postby Pavitra » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:32 pm

I would like some sort of subtle reference to the Age in the cover. Looking across a screenshot of the moul shelf, we have:

Neighborhood: the patterns sort of suggest some of the stonework. Not so much here, mostly process of elimination by all the others. Also, relatively often-used Ages don't need quite such clear labeling as they will be remembered more easily.
Nexus: the ten-pointed star. A particularly literal example. This book is highly distinct (the yellow stands out, for example) because it needs to be used *very* often and even slight inconvenience adds up quickly.
D'ni: a stylized tree/hand icon, seems to be a common symbol of the D'ni society. Also, the darker color makes it seem more "solid"; this is in many ways a particularly important book.
Cleft: aerial view, green (lush, life-supporting) cleft/fissure surrounded by desert-color.
Gahreesen: GoMa logo.
Teledahn: shroom-orange.
Kadish: indigo-gray like the trees (or is it just the lighting in there?), Kadish puzzle symbols.
Gira/Kemo: matching designs for paired ages, red for lava, green for garden.
Pods: matching designs again. Green for lush Negilahn, white for icy Dereno, yellow for desert Payiferen, blue for underwater (or maybe dark) Tetsonot.
Er'cana: another process-of-elimination one mostly, but vaguely stone or sludge colored.
Ahnonay/Ahnonay Cathedral: matching patterns. Not much significance to the color, but the lighter color is given to the more "lightweight" age, the one where you spend less time and that hosts little if any of the content. Darker colors suggest more "substance" to an age.
Minkata: suns.
Jalak: vaguely South-American-ish styling like the outsides of the pillars.
Myst: title printed on spine.

My point is, the cover-to-Age mapping isn't quite random for canon books, and ideally shouldn't be for fan books. There are subtle references.
Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani
Pavitra

Postby kaelisebonrai » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:21 am

Um... there is that feature on my book. =)

The scalloped design is a feature in many d'ni locations, and infact, that particular design comes from the great shaft. =)

So, yes ,there /was/ a subtle reference, one I included quite purposefully. You just missed it. ;)
kaelisebonrai

Postby Egon » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:35 am

Pavitra wrote:I would like some sort of subtle reference to the Age in the cover. [cut] My point is, the cover-to-Age mapping isn't quite random for canon books, and ideally shouldn't be for fan books. There are subtle references.

Well in that case: Since not all D'ni location are around Ag'uera, putting Kerath's arch is misleading, and cover of this book needs a different reference...
Egon #2052375
Who You gonna call? Guild of Doorcallers! #5356672
Eder Tsogal/Delin Marathon
Egon

Postby Pavitra » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:49 am

Er. Well then.

I endorse Kaelis's version.
Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani
Pavitra

Postby Perlenstern » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:39 pm

Hihi......the first idea is mostly the best. :)

So I Think we should take kaelisebonrai's version without any changes.

Perlenstern
Carpe Noctem
Ages:Wianeroy, Sound Garden
Perlenstern

Postby Wamduskasapa » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:14 pm

I personally, also prefer kaelis' design
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby diafero » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:30 am

Okay, since the cover and the location of the book seems to have settled, we can start to talk about its content: Do any further ages come into your mind that are cavern locations and should be added? I would also appreciate suggestions for age descriptions, preferably by the authors of the ages :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Previous

Return to Deep Island