im crashing ALOT

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

im crashing ALOT

Postby finnagan2000 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:54 pm

it keeps saying the connection failed! this happens when I try go go through the teldeahn 'bad spelling' cave and get my totem :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: help please :(
finnagan2000

Re: im crashing ALOT

Postby finnagan2000 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:54 pm

it also happens when I try to link back to relto anywhere :(
finnagan2000

Postby diafero » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:09 am

What, exactly, is it saying?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby finnagan2000 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:23 am

it says somthing like this "ERROR
Conection failed please try again
finnagan2000

Postby nathan2055 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:58 am

nathan2055 wrote:
diafero wrote:
nathan2055 wrote:Twice today DI crashed while I was exploring Ages. It has never crashed before, why twice today?

:lol: Do you think I got a crystal ball somewhere here? It is already hard enough to investigate the cause of a crash if it happens on my own system in front of my eyes. With the information you gave me (none at all...), I have no chance whatsoever to find out what the cause of your crashes is. I would at least need detailed information about where and when the crash happened, what you did before it came, and what exactly makes you think it was a crash (error messages, unexpected behaviour, ...).

Now, the number one cause for "crashes" (they are not actually crashes but often perceived as such) are networking issues. The Uru networking protocol is a mess, and if you connection has a small hick-up, it can quickly lead to a disconnect from the server.

Last not least: You are not the only one playing on the Shard. So, please post bug- and crash-reports in public, in the Deep Island forum, so that we know if you alone have the issue or if it's a common one.

Kind regards,
diafero

It turns out one of the crashes was caused by an Internet error, but DI crashes every single time I try to link to Neolbah from Shell 415 on Ahra Pahts (the left book on the crate). Interestingly, Shell 415 isn't mentioned at the Age website on UamWiki, that is http://dusty.homeunix.net/wiki/UAM/Ages/AhraPahts. Is this because it was added recently, it doesn't have a walkthrough yet, or none of the above :lol:?

Yep. Are you running Windows Vista or above? Do you have a bad Internet connection? Both of those can trigger errors. For Vista and above:

Vista has a security feature that makes for some trouble here. If you're running Vista, you'll have to do either one of the following:

* Option 1) Navigate to the Uru folder (e.g. "C:/Program Files/Ubi Soft/Cyan Worlds/Uru - Ages Beyond Myst") Right click that folder, go to properties, then the Security tab. Click on 'Edit', select the 'Users' group, and allow 'Full control' for that group. Then double-click UruSetup.exe, and give it permission to run if Vista asks.(You could also copy UruSetup.exe as UruCC.exe so that Vista will not ask in the future.) (Thanks Erik!)
* Option 2) Move(i.e. 'cut', not 'copy') your Uru game from "C:/Program Files/Ubi Soft/Cyan Worlds/Uru - Ages Beyond Myst" to the "My Games" directory or your Desktop.

These steps are from Drizzle's Troubleshooting Page.
Last edited by nathan2055 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently an official representative of the Guild of Writers.
Nathan2055 (01307567) on MO:ULagain - NAL2055 (00071382) on The Deep Island Shard
Community Nexus Project
nathan2055

Postby diafero » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:58 am

No, please do not enable compatibility mode. All this can potentially do is suppress some messages that detect weirdness on your system (so, you still got the weirdness, but no warning about that). But the other instructions are a good way to set the correct permissions.

Could you make a screenshot next time this happens? If the error message can give us any clue, then I need the *exact* message.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby nathan2055 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:25 am

diafero wrote:No, please do not enable compatibility mode. All this can potentially do is suppress some messages that detect weirdness on your system (so, you still got the weirdness, but no warning about that). But the other instructions are a good way to set the correct permissions.

Could you make a screenshot next time this happens? If the error message can give us any clue, then I need the *exact* message.

OK, I'll edit that part out.
Currently an official representative of the Guild of Writers.
Nathan2055 (01307567) on MO:ULagain - NAL2055 (00071382) on The Deep Island Shard
Community Nexus Project
nathan2055

Return to Deep Island