Setup Window Blank after Check

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Re: Setup Window Blank after Check

Postby diafero » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:35 am

I made the IPv6 remark, because even if your provider does not have it enabled, Windows Vista and above have per default. Any other machine in your subnet can announce itself as IPv6 router, and then Windows will totally enable IPv6 on your network card. If then incoming connections are not filtered as expected, the firewall is successfully circumvented. However, you also mentioned a DMZ, so we are speaking about a hardware firewall as well?
The reason why I am even interested in that is that we have had weird firewall issue before. Some firewalls did not like that Uru disconnected from port 5000 and connected to another port later on, and blocked that subsequent connection (to the game server). In this case however, the connection drops before any game server is involved. Others seemed to consider UDP traffic they do not know on ports they do not know suspicious, or similar. It's really fishing in the dark and guessing based on experience ;-)

The log file looks fine, but it dos not tell me much as the interesting packets are cut (due to the max size limit), so the Uru protocol analyzer just says the length byte in the message is wrong. Could you increase the limit to at least 512 and try again (or remove it alltogether)?
If you want to be sure that only Uru communication is captured, you can extend the filter with "&& ip.addr == 85.214.57.193". The way the Uru protocol works, your password is not transferred in clear-text, and the authentication is immune against replay attacks (so uploading the login process is as safe as the underlying hash... okay, that's MD5 ;-) ). You can also email it to diafero AT arcor DOT de if you wish.

I just logged in to your account without problems, so the issue seems to be on your connection.
How have you been able to create that one avatar at all?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby D'Lanor » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:07 am

diafero wrote:How have you been able to create that one avatar at all?

Doesn't that confirm Uru(Setup) works fine and only UruExplorer has problems?
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby diafero » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:58 am

If I understood him correctly, it is the Uru(Setup).exe that is making trouble, as in, not fetching the avatar list but greying out all controls after hitting "Login".
But that is indeed another point that sometimes confuses firewalls - another application creating a UDP socket to the same port and address just after the old one was closed. I guess since UDP is stateless, they mix up those two connections (an issue I also sometimes have without firewalls... client and server not agreeing on what the connection state is).
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby tanshin » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:56 am

It technically doesn't happen after hitting login. I login fine, then I get the list of users, settings, etc and hit OK. The program updates, then when that update finishes the interface blanks out as described (and sometimes just closes all together).

I'll try and rerun that capture again...
tanshin

Postby tanshin » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:26 am

Here's a new pcap file: http://cl.ly/2J0R030T2X1J2S2h3L1L

That's all communication (HTTP, TCP, and UDP) to/from the IP address you listed earlier.
tanshin

Postby diafero » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:46 am

It technically doesn't happen after hitting login. I login fine, then I get the list of users, settings, etc and hit OK. The program updates, then when that update finishes the interface blanks out as described (and sometimes just closes all together).
Wow, I never heard of that happening. The game is supposed to just close and launch the first executable of the manifest, which is UruStarter.exe (a helper-app written by me, doing cleanup before the main engine, UruExplorer.exe, is started). Maybe something is going wrong with starting that app, some missing privilege or whatever. However, "Full Access" should be enough... ;-)
Did you try selecting "Don't update all ages on launch" in the "Connection" tab? It would also be worth the try to remove all files and folders from the Uru directory except for Uru.exe, serverconfig.ini, dat and sfx. The rest should be re-downloaded automatically.

The network log looks okay. Wireshark detected two "TCP Window Updates" and a TCP Reset. But the reset is the last packet, after all the downloads were done, it looks all right. The connection to the server lobby is not properly closed, which is the reason for the timeout on the server, but I assume this is just a consequence of the whole app stalling. So, it does not seem to be a networking issue either - but then I am completely clueless what it could be, sorry. Maybe moving the folder to inside your user profile temporarily helps, maybe a new installation does.
Is your Windows 7 32bit or 64bit?

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby tanshin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:03 am

So far deleting the files and unchecking the update box have not helped. I'm moving the folder to my user directory to see what that does...

I'm on x64.

EDIT: Nope, still nothing.
tanshin

Postby diafero » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:14 am

:(
I'm really sorry, I do not know what is happening. Since nobody else is having the same problem (as it seems), there is hardly anything I could make good guesses from.

A last guess would be to play with compatibility mode settings, but I doubt they will help (usually they should be all off). Did you try other Shards, do they work?

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby tanshin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:53 pm

I did try XP SP3 a few days ago (OHB suggested it) but it didn't change anything (I think it made it quit actually...).

And this is really the first shard I've actually tried. I know a few people who switched from the MOULa side and was hoping to try and find them, but who knows if that will happen.

Last I knew my grandpa had my original install disks so I'll have to do some snooping around to find them. Maybe those will work.
tanshin

Previous

Return to Deep Island