Setup Window Blank after Check

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Setup Window Blank after Check

Postby tanshin » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:41 pm

After I login and hit OK in Uru.exe, the launcher checks the files and updates as expected, however afterwards the window is blank with only the Until Uru banner and unclickable elements. The only way to exit is to close the uru.exe process.

If it helps, I've installed DI at C:\Deep Island and given the directory full control for Users. I'm on Windows 7. I'm using the GOG version as well.
tanshin

Re: Setup Window Blank after Check

Postby diafero » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:52 pm

Usually, this indicates that the client can not properly reach the server. Is there any personal firewall installed on your system that might cause this, one are you behind some corporate firewall?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby tanshin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:05 am

It could be my router blocking incoming connections... or my software firewall.

Is there a specific port that I should open? Or should I just allow the program in the firewall?
tanshin

Postby tachzusamm » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:06 am

tanshin wrote:Is there a specific port that I should open?

In my case (determined with netstat -ab), UruSetup.exe uses UDP port 4640 to connect to the server. Or 3016.
UruExplorer.exe uses UDP 2904. Or 3068. (depends...)
Not sure if that's all that is needed.

tanshin wrote:Or should I just allow the program in the firewall?

That would be generally a good idea. ;)
Last edited by tachzusamm on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
tachzusamm

Postby tanshin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:11 am

Alright, I will give those a try when my PC decides to finish booting.
tanshin

Postby tachzusamm » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:27 am

Well, I shouldn't send a post before completion. *lol*
Upper post has been edited and port numbers updated.
Again, not sure if these port stay constant.
diafero can say that - but allowing UruSetup.exe plus UruExplorer.exe should be enough.
tachzusamm

Postby tanshin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:04 am

I made exceptions for Uru.exe, UruLauncher.exe, and UruExplorer.exe and still no go. I'll add those ports next and see what happens.

EDIT: Still nothing
tanshin

Postby diafero » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:57 am

Uru uses ports 5000 to 6000, UDP. The outgoing ports in your system are, as usually with outgoing connections, chosen randomly by your OS.

However, if I understood that correctly, you have a firewall software running on your PC, and it's not the Windows firewall (that is known to work fine)? Argh, this will get hard, most of those additional firewalls are crap :( . You could try to install Wireshark (http://www.wireshark.org/), capture packages on your network card, and set the filter to "udp.port >= 5000 && udp.port <= 6000". There should be packages going in both directions. It would also be worth a try to temporary disable the firewall. Honestly - the Windows firewall is generally more secure than those additional personal firewalls, as it deals with IPv6 correctly, knows the difference between a home and a public network, and does not confuse the user by asking for confirmation each time a socket is opened (which is worth nothing as the user will hardly be able to tell whether this is legitimate or not); not to mention that outgoing connections can not reasonably be filtered anyway. If the virus/attacker can run code on your system, no firewall running on that same will help you.

The strange thing about the log is - you seem to authenticate correctly, which implies some packages in both directions, but the player list sent to you seems to be ignored. Your client continues to send alive packets, but the server ultimately kicks you for not sending any packets. Weird.
I see there is one avatar in the list sent to you, but I can not see the details - maybe there is an issue with that avatar? Does it have a special name?
If that is okay with you, I could temporarily hack the database to use another password for your user, and log in myself, to make sure your system is the issue, not your user.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby tanshin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:00 pm

I really can't think of what would be doing this... I've never had firewall issues before so I have no idea why it would start now (and mine doesn't ask to open sockets either...). And of course, when I just started a capture with Wireshark the setup client decided to update ages :P

If I still can't get in I may try again to clean that up (although from the looks of it, these packets are sent via TCP, not UDP).

And, as a side note, IPv6 is of little importance to me right now because my host nor my modem support it. Can't wait for the ipcalypse!

When I logged in this time the user list showed two avatars (gasp!) so, not sure if that makes any difference.

As for you logging in as me, I don't really care since I've never been able to log in in the first place so it's not like there's much for me to worry about.

Let me keep toying around for a few more minutes and see if I come up with anything.
tanshin

Postby tanshin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:13 pm

Okay, so having a cleaner capture definitely helped to make things better looking.

For initial settings I used the following options:
Capture in promiscuous mode: unchecked
Packet size limit: 96
Filter: udp portrange 5000-6000

You can take a peek at the .pcap here: http://cl.ly/0C2D1t1H3b29083e1w24

It appears that the client is still trying to connect, even though it has apparently been 'blocked.'

Also, for the record, no avatars appeared that time around.

EDIT: Just tested with my PC in DMZ and it still didn't work so... I guess it isn't firewall related.
tanshin

Next

Return to Deep Island