/goto

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

/goto

Postby diafero » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:30 pm

The Offline KI currently has two commands to warp the avatar to a specific location in the current age: /goto and /warp. I dislike duplication of code and functionality, so I'd like to somehow merge them... now, the difference is that you can use /goto on the Shard, but you can not use /warp since it's part of flymode (and can also warp you to other players and so on).
Does anyone use /goto at all, or is it totally unused since it has a rather limited sets of targets, and I can just remove it? Offline, /warp is usable for everyone, so nothing would really change there.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Re: /goto

Postby Chacal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:25 am

Not specific for DI:

I use /goto a lot. I would like to have more locations. I hate having to run from one part of the City to another.
I am not sure how /warp works, I haven't tried it.

I also plan to use it for new locations that I would like to add to some Ages.
If I added, say, a room on top of the guild hall, /goto would seem to be the ideal way to get there.

BTW, what would be the other ways? So far I can think of:
- a linking book (not canon in the cavern);
- a Bahro stone;
- a link in the Nexus
- a portal / other magical gimmick
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Sirius » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:07 am

If I remember correctly:
- warp x y z should warp your avatar to these coordinates
- goto works the same as warp but the coordinates (x y z) are stocked directly in the Offline-KI. To add more locations, you need to find the variable in one of the Python file, add a new location name and add new coordinates
- another way sould be to simply add a spawnpoint at the location you want (should be quick to add in a PRP) and then use /spawn or /linksp
- Bahro stone and books are quite hard to add directly to one of the PRP, except if you create a new page
- the Nexus is a good idea, but I think you'll need spawnpoints again.
EDIT: And except if you are the admin, it will be hard to add something to an Age online, which means you'll mostly use it offline and then you can use the flymode to reach high places...

I don't know if it helps...

For the /goto command, you can also use /spawn until you get to the location you want.
Sirius

Postby diafero » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:54 pm

/warp also has a set of locations you can directly warp to, and it's much bigger than the one from /goto. Check "/list warppoints" to see them. However /warp is an admin command as it can also warp other players and objects, and it can target arbitrary locations, given by coordinates.

If I added, say, a room on top of the guild hall, /goto would seem to be the ideal way to get there.

BTW, what would be the other ways? So far I can think of:
- a linking book (not canon in the cavern);
- a Bahro stone;
- a link in the Nexus
- a portal / other magical gimmick
Well, a KI command is not exactly canon either ;-) . And I'd also say it is hard to discover: For new places to reach, there should be a way to get there that people find out for themselves how to get there. And I know most explorers are not reading the documentation *g*
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Return to Deep Island