IE9 and Uru

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Re: IE9 and Uru

Postby Ehren » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:03 am

For me MOUL Launcher crashed like crazy when I did a reinstall that had to download all files from the server. I had to try several times before I could even get to MOUL, restarting didn't help much either. And sometimes even with nothing new to download it still crashed in the quick moment I need to start MOUL.

However starting Deep Island hasn't been a problem at all...

So MOUL launcher is a different beast alright, but for me it's the one that gets problems...

(Also 64-bit Windows 7)
Ehren

Postby diafero » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:13 am

MOUL and Deep Island launchers have very little in common. The engines that are then started to do the actual game also are quite different. So you really can't compare them, and the fact that they both let you play the same basic set of ages if the result of a lot of conversion and work (by Cyan for the "old" ages like Kadish, Er'cana, and by us for the "new" ages like Minkata and Jalak).

I do not know why the MOUL launcher should fail starting - and this is the wrong forum for MOUL-related questions ;-) General Discussion would be more appropriate.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Chardonius » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:05 pm

Is there a known solution to this issue (the post-updater "Uru.exe has stopped working") for Vista users?
Obviously, we can't set Uru.exe for Windows 7 compatibility mode when we're running Vista. :|

I have tried other compatibility mode settings (Server2003, XP, 2000, 98), but alas, no such luck. :(
I heard Deep Island is cool, but it's definitely no fun spending hours watching the updater crash over and over (and over and over) again.
Hearing others' testimonials of "it suddenly started working for no apparent reason" aren't particularly helpful, either. :P

The sound decompressor works fine when run manually. :)
I use Google Chrome to access the internet. :)
I have an ATI Radeon video card. :(

Any helpful ideas would be appreciated.
Less than helpful ideas ("keep trying until it suddenly starts working") will probably be tolerated, but will cost ten patience points each.

Thanks!

P.S. I should remark that MOULa, TOC and Gehn shards work fine. (Not that I expect that information to help with the diagnosis or anything).
Chardonius

Postby 4runner » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:14 am

Did you try run as administrater. I found that it some times is needed.
4runner

Postby Chardonius » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:23 pm

Yes, I had tried to run as administrator. I just hadn't mentioned that.
I also tried creating a new avatar, but that did not work, either.

I should also mention that I am actually running a 32-bit Vista OS on a 64-bit machine.
    <<< I landed with this configuration when I originally configured the machine, because the 64-bit drivers for some of my peripherals (scanner and printer) either did not work or were not available. The best I could do in my attempt to locate 64-bit device drivers was an ad listing scanners and printers that HP would sell me, to work with my new 64-bit machine. :twisted: Thus, I stuck with the 32-bit Vista OS because the drivers I had worked just fine. ...but that's a sideline story. Back to the DI issue at hand... >>>

It's interesting that I was able to run for a few hours yesterday (after my previous post), but wasn't been able to play again after that. Then I tried one more key thing, and I was able to get in again.

The magic seems to be that I have to delete all my avatars, and start over from the beginning of the game with a brand new avatar, every time I login.

• The bad news is that this bug makes the game largely unplayable. (For example - I lost several hours of game progress finding this out, and just about any player would admit that it's somewhat "less than optimum" to not be able to save and recover your avatar's previous progress.)
  • The good news is that this refinement of the symptoms may isolate the problem to somewhere in the player reload (or save) code, which means that it may be diagnosable, and ultimately fixable.

Is there anything you'd like me to do to help isolate the problem further?
Chardonius

Postby Chardonius » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:49 pm

Ah - One more thing. When I exit the DI program, I also get an error saying that "Main Branch - Built 5/26/2004 at 5:19 PM has stopped working" / "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available" [Close program]. So it is quite possible that the problem may be with the avatar state save on exit, and that the avatar data is (at least partially) missing on restart.

My Deep Island install directory has a sav\43686172646F6E697573\current directory containing a few files
  • AvatarCustomization_000C9C731D560000.sav (17 bytes)
  • Cleft_000C9C731D5E0001.sav (8605 bytes)
  • vault.dat(10816 bytes)
This look suspiciously like the place where avatar state would be saved, and I suspect that more files may be expected in this directory upon successful exit, and that some of the state data did not get written because of the "Main Branch" error.

Hopefully, this might yield a few more clues... (Maybe I messed up the install somehow?)
Chardonius

Postby diafero » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:02 am

Unfortunately I cannot be of much help with the Vista issue. One user who contacted me via email managed to get the game running by enabling Windows 95 compatibility mode.

My Deep Island install directory has a sav\43686172646F6E697573\current directory containing a few files

That's strange. How did you create your DI installation? The "sav" folder is only created by the offline Uru, so this folder should not exist if you perform a fresh Uru installation and immediately patch it to Deep Island (which is the recommended way).
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Chardonius » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:16 pm

I was eventually able to login and play, and my avatar state was saved.
However, I still had problems linking. I could always link out of Relto to somewhere else, but in any other age, linking was taking between 30 seconds and several minutes, and often resulted in a black screen lockup or a "#3 Server LogOut" (which leaves the UruExplorer process running, so that I could not login again. The orphaned process had no UI, so I could not retry until I killed it with Program Manager).

I still have not gotten the link through the Gahreesen door to work after several attempts, so I cannot complete the four pillars puzzle.
At that point, I decided to create a brand new UruCC install, and I'm waiting through my initial 200+MB update now. I hope to be able to enjoy the game more fully in just a few more minutes.

At any rate, the linking issues are different bugs, and I will read up on those in the other threads.

I would like to take the time to thank you for all your help diafero, and I look forward to meeting you in the cavern sometime soon.

Cheers!

-Chardonius
Chardonius

Postby the17thsailor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:48 pm

uh, did you get it to work? I'm struggling with similar issues myself...
the17thsailor

Previous

Return to Deep Island