Porting Myst 5 Ages to DI

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Porting Myst 5 Ages to DI

Postby sdickens » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:48 pm

I am looking for certain .ini files and instructions at porting Myst V Ages to DI, and I have a few questions... 1. Can I use steam bought app from steampowered.com? Can I use Myst 5 Ages in MOULa or The Open Cave?
sdickens

Re: Porting Myst 5 Ages to DI

Postby Ehren » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:37 pm

You certainly won't be able to use Myst 5 ages in MOULa.

They probably work in the The Open Cave tPotS shard, but not in any MOUL/MOSS type shard (as far as I know at least).
Ehren

Postby diafero » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:43 am

I am looking for certain .ini files and instructions at porting Myst V Ages to DI
What do you mean? Which .ini files??

1. Can I use steam bought app from steampowered.com?
I do not know, you will have to try. If the version is exactly the same as what was sold on DVD, it will work, otherwise it might not. You will know when, after converting the ages, you start your DI client: If it says that some ages were removed because files were invalid, those ages will not work.

Can I use Myst 5 Ages in MOULa or The Open Cave?
As Ehren already said, they will not work on MOUL-based Shards like MOULa or Gehn. For other POTS-based Shards, you will have to ask the admins of that Shard. Do NOT just try it out, admins usually do not like it if you modify your client in a way they did not intend (for good reasons)!
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Deledrius » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:03 pm

diafero wrote:
Can I use Myst 5 Ages in MOULa or The Open Cave?
As Ehren already said, they will not work on MOUL-based Shards like MOULa or Gehn.

Unfortunately this is more of a legal/logistical limitation than a technical one. I've converted and used Direbo and Tiwah on a CWE/DS development system, so it's possible. However, Gehn doesn't support this and won't for the forseeable future; it's difficult enough to keep users synced with the one set of unmodified files they get directly from Cyan.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Lyrositor » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:40 pm

Deledrius wrote:However, Gehn doesn't support this and won't for the forseeable future; it's difficult enough to keep users synced with the one set of unmodified files they get directly from Cyan.

Could it be modified in Gehn so that the patcher fetches the files from Cyan's servers automatically, instead of looking for them on Gehn/local machine? You wouldn't technically be hosting the files, and clients would automatically update themselves (so problems such as people seeing error message should no longer occur). It could also be DIRTSAND which redirects the client to the appropriate server. I'm just throwing this out there, I'm not sure if it's feasible.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor
Director of Wiki Operations

Postby D'Lanor » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:45 pm

I believe that would be considered bandwidth stealing. Unless you get permission from Cyan of course.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Lyrositor » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:17 pm

I hadn't thought about that... I guess it would, though.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor
Director of Wiki Operations

Postby Deledrius » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:21 pm

It's kinda silly and contrary to the design of the 'net, but sadly true in today's climate. :(
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby diafero » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:23 am

How did you convert the ages? Is PageConvert already working that well?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:03 am

EoA and MOUL use the same keyframe system, so page convert works quite nicely for those conversions... Still not ready for PotS<->MOUL though :(
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Next

Return to Deep Island