Fixing the Great Tree Pub

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Fixing the Great Tree Pub

Postby Ehren » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:32 pm

When I went to the Great Tree Pub (the Watcher's Pub converted from MOUL) I noticed all the journals were turned off. The DRC book about the Pub and the 5 books on the upper level. The correct journals are already a part of tPotS, so why are they left off in the GreatTreePub? I think it's a little detail that would get rid of a bit of a bare feel there.

I guess they are off because they don't work as is when they are converted by Drizzle? But it seems easy to fix them, and even I managed to do it offline with the "Python File Mod" section in the prp GreatTreePub_District_Pub.

In cPythDRCWatchersJournal the parameter with the value "WordsDRCInfoJournal" needs to be changed to "WatcherPubInfo", then it uses for the same journal as RestorationGuild.

In cPythWatchersJournal01 through cPythWatchersJournal05 the parameters with value "WordsJournal1","WordsJournal2",etc. the word 'Journal' needs to be removed so each has "Words1", "Words2", etc. That makes them the same journals as on the Relto lower bookshelf.

I'm hardly a programming expert, but I do know what worked for me... Would be a good change for Drizzle to do automatically actually. (No Drizzle forum though apparently, I guess because of the retirement)
Ehren

Re: Fixing the Great Tree Pub

Postby Annabelle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:15 am

Ehren wrote
(No Drizzle forum though apparently, I guess because of the retirement)

There's a "Drizzle" section in this forum. Look under the general section "Projects", you will see an item called "Plasma Development". This is where all the things related to Drizzle should go.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby diafero » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:32 pm

As you noted, Drizzle is no longer under development, and there will be no future version of Drizzle unless someone goes ahead and takes over maintainership - it's open-source, after all. However, I would advise everyone to rather spend their time learning how to deal with libHSplasma, which almost supports conversion, has a much saner and nicer interface and structure, and could use Python to code all these little quirks that are necessary on top of a "bare" conversion.

That said, it seems from your description that this particular problem can also be fixed by a python-only change on the Uru side, namely by patching the python script showing the journal to overwrite some journal names when called in the MOUL pub. Then no changes in the PRP (and therefore no changes in Drizzle) are needed. I may look into this next week, if someone else wants to give it a try: The code is at https://gitorious.org/offline-ki, gitorious has a nice merge request feature so that you can easily have your changes merged back to the official Offline KI. If you need any help, feel free to ask :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Ehren » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:12 pm

Well, sadly, I don't think I can figure out enough about Python to know how to make it actually override what it reads from the Pub prp.

But it will be interesting to see if someone else decides to take that on at some point.
Ehren

Postby D'Lanor » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:24 am

In xJournalBookDefsEnglish copy/paste this section to a line below it.

Code: Select all
 'Words1': (1.0,
            xWords1JournalEnglish),

Make sure you keep the original or it will break the Relto journals.
Then change the copy to:

Code: Select all
 'WordsJournal1': (1.0,
            xWords1JournalEnglish),

Do this for all the missing pub journals.
Then do the same in the other language files xJournalBookDefsFrench, xJournalBookDefsGerman etc.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Deledrius » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:34 am

diafero wrote:As you noted, Drizzle is no longer under development, and there will be no future version of Drizzle unless someone goes ahead and takes over maintainership - it's open-source, after all. However, I would advise everyone to rather spend their time learning how to deal with libHSplasma, which almost supports conversion, has a much saner and nicer interface and structure, and could use Python to code all these little quirks that are necessary on top of a "bare" conversion.

That said, it seems from your description that this particular problem can also be fixed by a python-only change on the Uru side, namely by patching the python script showing the journal to overwrite some journal names when called in the MOUL pub. Then no changes in the PRP (and therefore no changes in Drizzle) are needed. I may look into this next week, if someone else wants to give it a try: The code is at https://gitorious.org/offline-ki, gitorious has a nice merge request feature so that you can easily have your changes merged back to the official Offline KI. If you need any help, feel free to ask :)

Transfusion is working pretty well for me now in converting to MOUL-format from PoTS. I haven't tried the reverse as that doesn't interest me but in theory it should work just as well, provided libhsplasma doesn't contain any unreported bugs in the objects used. We still need some work on the animation code, as the format changed for that and it doesn't currently convert them.

I've made some fixes on my moul-scripts repository to make fan age journals a lot easier to do without needing to use a bit of Python at all, too. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to port that to DI though...
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby diafero » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:11 am

@D'Lanor: I think I'll end up patching the names in the xJournalBookGUIPopup so that I don't have to touch each and every translation...

@Deledrius:
Transfusion is working pretty well for me now in converting to MOUL-format from PoTS. I haven't tried the reverse as that doesn't interest me but in theory it should work just as well, provided libhsplasma doesn't contain any unreported bugs in the objects used. We still need some work on the animation code, as the format changed for that and it doesn't currently convert them.
I fear there will also be trouble with the POTS physics flags.

I've made some fixes on my moul-scripts repository to make fan age journals a lot easier to do without needing to use a bit of Python at all, too. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to port that to DI though...
I think such a script would indeed be quite easy and useful, too - could you point me to the relevant commits? The problem is just, it'd take an age writer knowing python and willing to to once spend some hours on doing that. I could hack up some Python scripts and add them to the Offline KI, but I can not test them, nor could I write the tutorial about how to use them.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Deledrius » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:01 pm

diafero wrote:
Deledrius wrote:Transfusion is working pretty well for me now in converting to MOUL-format from PoTS. I haven't tried the reverse as that doesn't interest me but in theory it should work just as well, provided libhsplasma doesn't contain any unreported bugs in the objects used. We still need some work on the animation code, as the format changed for that and it doesn't currently convert them.
I fear there will also be trouble with the POTS physics flags.

Which ones? There were some fixes lately in the Havok reader that were completely breaking some stuff...

diafero wrote:
Deledrius wrote:I've made some fixes on my moul-scripts repository to make fan age journals a lot easier to do without needing to use a bit of Python at all, too. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to port that to DI though...
I think such a script would indeed be quite easy and useful, too - could you point me to the relevant commits? The problem is just, it'd take an age writer knowing python and willing to to once spend some hours on doing that. I could hack up some Python scripts and add them to the Offline KI, but I can not test them, nor could I write the tutorial about how to use them.

I added some fields to the PFM that allows the Age artist to add the small amount of information needed directly to the PRP's PFM. I've tested it and the 3DSMax plugin picks it up automatically (as it should), and it allows FehnirHouse to be perfectly playable on my local dirtsand server. As a bonus, at least for the MOUL client, it means authors can use loc files (and the LocalizationEditor, too) instead of stuffing Age data into a bunch of python.

I haven't really looked into whether or not this is feasible for DI, but if you need more info, let me know.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby diafero » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:55 am

Deledrius wrote:Which ones? There were some fixes lately in the Havok reader that were completely breaking some stuff...
I meant the flags, the stuff still triggering warnings when importing POTS files verbosely as not even reading and dumping a POTS file preserves all information.

Deledrius wrote:I added some fields to the PFM that allows the Age artist to add the small amount of information needed directly to the PRP's PFM. I've tested it and the 3DSMax plugin picks it up automatically (as it should), and it allows FehnirHouse to be perfectly playable on my local dirtsand server. As a bonus, at least for the MOUL client, it means authors can use loc files (and the LocalizationEditor, too) instead of stuffing Age data into a bunch of python.

I haven't really looked into whether or not this is feasible for DI, but if you need more info, let me know.
Yeah, that's similar to what I had in mind. Just that POTS does not have localization, so it will instead refer to a file, something like ageresources/agename--pfm_parameter.txt, to load the journal contents. Dustin also has something like that in his UAM plugin, but it's insanely complicated and duplicates stuff like SDL (if you think "wtf" here, you are probably right ;-) ).
However, I'd prefer to use a separate python script for this, something like xSimpleJournal, to properly separate this from all the old ages (which are never going to be fixed) using journals from python scripts.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Return to Deep Island