Panic linking in the Fissure

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Panic linking in the Fissure

Postby ofperkins » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:22 pm

OK, so I was rushing the First Journey so that I could grab the August sparklie before it disappeared for another year. I finished Gahreesen, Teledahn, Kadish, Gira and Kemo, returned the pillars and jumped into the fissure on Relto... and for some reason, this triggers a panic link and I end up back on Relto. (So I missed the sparklie. :() This is constantly happening and very annoying. I hope this can be resolved before the end of September, otherwise I will have missed another sparklie... :cry:

So, any ideas?
You've just got to accept it... some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
ofperkins

Re: Panic linking in the Fissure

Postby Ehren » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:18 pm

I have no idea what would cause a problem like that.

But if you get desperate you can link to Camp Bravo Day or Camp Bravo Night (this is a fan made age), Andy put a Cleft linking book in the testing area.
Ehren

Postby Annabelle » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:33 pm

or you can solve "Walking Maze" made by Karkadann (retrieve your notes from Myst game ;) ). You will see a crevice at the end of the maze, it might lead you just where you need to go :D
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby diafero » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:40 am

Ah, that old bug again... and we still have no way to fix this :(

The problem is that you have a very large lag to the DI server (this bug applies to almost all Australian explorers, as the server sits in Berlin). The Uru client tells the server that it went into the fissure, and waits for confirmation. However, before the confirmation arrives, the client hits the panic region - and this is the very only action the client will take *without* confirmation from the server, so by the time the confirmation for the link to the Cleft arrives, you are already on your way to Relto.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Sirius » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:49 am

Hmmm... So the Python script won't get the notify quickly enough ? There might be a way to avoid that...

It seems a new version of Personal_District_psnlMYSTII.prp is downloaded from the server (for the library dynamic book covers). So, it just requires to subdivide the panic link region into smaller regions that won't be under the fissure. This can be done.

However, is this file included in the Offline-KI as well ? It seems it is in my backup of the offline-ki, but if I remember correctly it was also fixed by the "PotS" conversion tab.
If it isn't downloaded with the Offline-KI, then it means we should rather edit Personal_District_psnlDustAdditions.prp instead so everyone can have it.

I'm going to import the Age in Blender see if I can create those new regions...

EDIT: Done. I slightly modified the geometry of the current panic link region, and added three more regions. I tried a few times and only panic-linked in the regions. No panic-link below the fissure.

I've attached the file here if you're interested in it (I also included the .xml I used, just in case).

EDIT: removed attachment since the file was incorrect.
Last edited by Sirius on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sirius

Postby diafero » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:53 am

Wow, this is looking quite good - nice work.
I wonder, though, why are there so many other objects which also differ between the two files? Here's the Drizzle prpdiff:

Show Spoiler

How did you modify the file? Unfortunately, current libhsplasma changes physicals when just loading them and writing them back (not all flags are properly preserved, see the github issue). So prcdc/prcc will not yield an unchanged object, I don't know about PrpShop. The only way I know to non-destructively edit a prp file is to use PrpPack, and then only edit the interesting object files before packing them back together.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Sirius » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:48 am

I didn't apply other modifications to this file, I used the one I found in the Offline-KI 3.8 I downloaded a while ago (so it should be the correct one).
But then, it's true I used PRPShop to import the files, and I already had issues with only 1 PRP file previously: Jalak's arena... The wall detectors were broken after importing a responder. So maybe it did break physics. I don't know about the Coordinate interfaces, though...
To avoid breaking everything in Jalak, I had to use PRP Explorer.

The objects modified are the SceneNode (so I can add the two new regions), and the original region's physics. So only this object should have wrong flags, since decompiled with PRPShop to an XML, recompiled with prcc, and then imported with PRPShop (the other regions were created with PyPRP). It seems to be working fine, though.
Sirius

Postby ofperkins » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:44 pm

Thanks, Sirius. Let me just make sure that I know what I'm doing here: the file Personal_District_psnlMYSTII.prp goes in my DI folder, over the top of the file of the same name that's already there, after having made a copy of the original file so that I can restore it in case anything goes wrong. Is that right?

Edit: Sorry, sorry, it goes in the dat subfolder of the DI folder.
You've just got to accept it... some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
ofperkins

Postby Sirius » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:15 am

No, it won't work... Deep Island (and most game servers I guess) always check the files on your computer at startup, to make sure they match those on the server.
If they don't, then the file is replaced by the one on the server, or the game simply won't start.

In order to make sure the server won't replace the file, it needs to be installed directly on the server - Diafero takes care of that.
I'll fix the file today, without using PRPShop.
Sirius

Postby diafero » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:52 am

I can also do the fix if I know which objects exactly to use from the new prp. Exactly those for which you supplied XML files? Are there any objects to remove?

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Next

Return to Deep Island