Linking Book in Cleft blank

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Linking Book in Cleft blank

Postby matt22207 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:14 pm

Hey. I just started DI, and after getting all the Journey Cloths in the Cleft, I get to the linking book to my Relto, but its blank and i can't go anywhere. Any ideas?
matt22207

Re: Linking Book in Cleft blank

Postby matt22207 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:32 am

ok, i was able to get past this by creating a new Player and replaying the cleft for the millionth time. that's annoying. this time, when i released the clamps on the windmill shaft, they didn't look like they released (and the lever wouldn't move anymore), but when going to the surface i was able to start the windmill.

also, this time i was not able to click the Journey Cloth on the bucket. i had to restart the game, and then it was ok. so now i'm in my Relto.

to give you some insight that may help on the original issue from above, the only thing i can think of that i may have done to trigger not being able to click on the Relto book was that i tried to do the Journey Cloths out of order. I got the ones on the surface before seeing the Yeesha hologram. not sure if that caused the issue, but figured i'd post it. but i did try restarting a number of times to no avail. the only thing that let me get to my Relto was starting over with a new player.

:(
matt22207

Postby Sirius » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:34 am

There is no particular order for the journey clothes. You can pick any of them before speaking to Zandi or listening to Yeesha's message.

The other bugs are weird, though... You could try posting here the file in your Uru root folder, log/Python.0.elf. It contains debug messages from the last session of the game, maybe we'll find something there.
Sirius

Postby matt22207 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:34 am

ok thanks. so in my Relto, when i try to link through any of the books, the game seems to freeze on just a blank screen. i've attached a few elf files if they help.

(i had to rename them since "The extension elf is not allowed.")..
Attachments
Python.2.pdf
(63.66 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
Python.1.pdf
(59.8 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
Python.0.pdf
(59.6 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
matt22207

Postby Sirius » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:29 am

Ok, I'm checking what might be causing the issue...

Hmmm... I guess the issue occurs with every books ? (not just books to Fan-Ages ?)
Also, is the game crashing as soon as you click the book, or when it slides out of the library ?

So, here is what I found:

It seems the problem is in psnlBookshelf.py... Quite obvious, hehe.

According to the log, there is an unknown agevault event... so might have to do something with a vault operation.

Code: Select all
if (event[0] == kPickedEvent):
    objBookPicked = event[3]
    bookName = objBookPicked.getName()
    print 'psnlBookshelf.OnNotify():\tplayer picked book named ',
    print bookName
    try:
        index = objLibrary.value.index(objBookPicked)
    except:
        print 'psnlBookshelf.OnNotify():\tERROR -- couldn\'t find ',
        print objBookPicked,
        print ' in objLibrary'
        return
    agename = self.IGetAgeFromBook()
    ### skipping code for special links...
    link = self.IGetLinkFromBook() # <-- might be crashing here
    if (type(link) == type(None)):
        return
    if ((link in xCustomReltoShelf.availableBooks) or link.getLocked()):
        objLockPicked = objLocks.value[index]
        lockName = objLockPicked.getName()
        for (rkey, rvalue) in respOpenLock.byObject.items():
            parent = rvalue.getParentKey()
            if parent:
                if (lockName == parent.getName()):
                    respOpenLock.run(self.key, objectName=rkey)
                    break
        boolPresentAfterLockOpen = true
        break
    else:
        bookName = objBookPicked.getName()
        for (rkey, rvalue) in respPresentBook.byObject.items():
            parent = rvalue.getParentKey()
            if parent:
                if (bookName == parent.getName()):
                    respPresentBook.run(self.key, objectName=rkey)
                    break

According to the log files, everything goes fine until "link = self.IGetLinkFromBook()"...
After that, it seems there is no other vault operation, it's just responders being triggered, and the book being shown.

def IGetLinkFromBook(self, spTitle = None):
    global SpawnPointName
    ageName = self.IGetAgeFromBook()
    print 'returns link element associated with global objBookPicked or None ',
    print ageName
    ### skipping special links...
    if (type(ageName) == type(None)):
        print 'psnlBookshelf.IGetLinkFromBook():\tERROR -- conversion from book to link element failed'
        return None
    ageVault = ptAgeVault()
    PAL = ageVault.getAgesIOwnFolder()
    contents = PAL.getChildNodeRefList()
    for content in contents:
        link = content.getChild()
        link = link.upcastToAgeLinkNode()
        info = link.getAgeInfo()
        if (info and (info.getAgeFilename() == ageName)):
            print 'psnlBookshelf.IGetLinkFromBook():\tfound link',
            print info.getAgeFilename()
            return link
    if (ageName in xCustomReltoShelf.availableBooks):
        return ageName
    print 'psnlBookshelf.IGetLinkFromBook():\tERROR -- couldn\'t find link to',
    print ageName
    return None

"returns link element associated with global objBookPicked or None" is printed, so until here, everything is fine.
No other message is printed, but since the books picked here are Fan-Ages, we can't be sure it is an error.
I think it might have something to do with:
ageVault = ptAgeVault()
PAL = ageVault.getAgesIOwnFolder()
contents = PAL.getChildNodeRefList()

However, I don't know why it crashes here...
Anyone ?
Sirius

Postby Ehren » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:39 pm

Those are some weird problems.

For me it's always helped to make sure that Uru is in compatibility mode and also that it can properly use its own directory by lowering the "permission" needed to edit it.

The permission thing is done by right clicking the Uru install folder, selecting Properties, the Security tab, then the "Edit..." button. From there you have to select "Users (Computer's Name\Users)" from the "Group or user names" list. Finally, on the "Permissions for Users" list below that check the 'Allow' box for 'Full Control' and then "Apply".
Ehren

Postby diafero » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:49 am

As an alternative to changing the permissions, I recommend moving the Uru directory to inside your user folder - for example "Saved Games". Missing the linking image could actually be caused by this, since those images are in dat/GUI_District_BkBookImages.prp which is changed by the updater. The file system virtualisation performed by Vista+ can mess this up in the most weird ways.
Compatibility mode is not needed on my Win7 system, but it's certainly worth a try.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby matt22207 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:34 pm

ok.. i figured it out.. I am running on Mac under Wineskin, and i was able to fix the problem by downgrading the Wine engine to v 1.4 (WS8Wine1.4 under my wrapper's Advanced > Tools > Change Engine Used ... assuming you have installed this engine in the main Wineskin app)... I'm not sure if something newer will work, but both 1.5.19 and 1.5.21 (current) are not working..

i guessed at this based on an error in LastRunWine.log (attached and renamed as PDF since .log is not allowed either) :

err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.

did some googling and found this page which implied to try 1.4 ..

http://portingteam.com/topic/7972-tools ... framework/

again, i have no idea if this was the specific error causing the linking issues, but downgrading to 1.4 fixed my issue... i may try some newer versions to see how close to 1.5.x i can get, but it seems to be working with no flaws so far, so i may just leave it since i've spent more time on this than it usually takes me to complete an Age itself.

i didn't mention it before (since it wasn't as important as linking), but my Audio wasn't working properly either, and was just very "crackly" ... downgrading to 1.4 fixed that too, so i think everything is working...

... I feel like i should get something on my Relto for fixing this, right? :)

... PS, i tried setting my Wineskin wrapper to Win98, Win95, etc, and moving the URU into "/users/Wineskin/My Documents/URU/" and none of this seemed to help.. since i'm in Wineskin, i'm not sure how to set windows file permissions, but figured moving it might be enough.. either way, it didn't fix.. only downgrading to 1.4 fixed.
Attachments
LastRunX11.log.pdf
(4.8 KiB) Downloaded 539 times
LastRunWine.log.pdf
(101 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
matt22207

Postby diafero » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:37 pm

That's strange, I am using Wine 1.5.21 (and the last few previous versions) without any issues under Linux, to run Uru. The windows version is set to XP.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Return to Deep Island