Technical problem with IceWorld

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Technical problem with IceWorld

Postby dtierce » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:35 pm

(Copied from the IceWorld thread in General Discussion)
This might be the wrong place for this post. I'm having a technical problem specifically with Iceworld. I see that others have been exploring this age, so the problem might be on my end.

Behavior:
I link into the first big dark room where the Guardian asks me not to use Fly-mode. I agree and it begins to link me into the main(?) part of the age. Then I see a progress bar and a message on my screen saying "Linking to Iceworld... Authenticating" where it hangs for a minute or two. Then the game quits with an error pop-up saying "ERROR. AUTH RESPONSE FAILED". This happens every time for Iceworld. I have never gotten past the first big dark room. I've successfully explored many other ages without seeing this failure. The only other time I've seen this error is occasionally when I "/!resetage" in "Somewhere" (which I have already completed).

I am running Windows XP using a DeepIsland installation on a thumbdrive with plenty of space (16Gb free). I have tried completely reinstalling DeepIsland from scratch without any change to these symptoms. As I said before, I have not had this trouble with any other age.

Does anyone have a clue what I can do to resolve this? I'd really like to see Iceworld.

David Tierce
MOULa-KI: 15763576
GEHN-KI: 00022090
DI-KI: 00145074
dtierce

Re: Technical problem with IceWorld

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:29 pm

This is likely the correct place as that error message is indicative of a serve problem of some sort. I have nothing to do with the management of DI, however, so I can unfortunately not offer any real assistance.

Sent from my HTC DROID DNA using Tapatalk 2
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby janaba » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:46 am

dtierce, though this error shouldn't occur in the first place and indicates sth going
wrong on the server side as Adam stated already, I'd like to ask if you already tried
to use one of the links (there's only one to start with at the beginning) available on
the small pedestrals behind you from the linking point of view? ...
If so, that'd at least allow you to start exploring ... :)
janaba

Postby dtierce » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:37 pm

I've looked at each of the pedestals and found no hot-spots on any of them in my explorations. I have a valid hot-spot on the "I agree" pedestal which immediately puts up a linking book for Iceworld which then leads to my problem. I will try dismissing that and checking the status of the other pedestals after "agreeing" to see if there are any changes. I thought they were just for decoration.

Thanks for the suggestion.
David Tierce
dtierce

Postby janaba » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:45 pm

denost2 posted an update today ... maybe that will solve your problem, when diafero will upload it to the Deep Island Shard, dtierce ... :P
janaba

Postby dtierce » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:47 am

Hooray!! I finally made it into Iceworld!

I still did not see any links in the initial dark room other than the "agree" and "disagree" buttons. I tried dismissing the linking book and looking around after "agreeing", but there was no change to the other pedestals in the room.

In desperation, I moved my DeepIsland installation back to my hard-drive. The link presented to me worked this time and I made it to the "binary room" and beyond. This world is at least as vast as "Somewhere" and I can already tell that many hours will be spent there. So far, I've flown in two different vehicles before falling and Relto'ing from a series of platforms on pistons in a water-filled canyon.

I conclude that the slight performance degradation from the previous use of a thumb drive caused some kind of timing problem resulting in the "auth response failure". However, that only happened with IceWorld for some reason.

David Tierce
dtierce

Postby diafero » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:01 am

There are some timeouts in the server - if the client does not tell the server its alive, the server will think it died. The timeout is something around 30 seconds, but during age load, it should be more (I do not remember off-hand, I think I made it 90 seconds). Unfortunately, Uru is so horribly *not* multithreaded that it does not do any network work during age load, so if loading an age takes *really* long, it could time out.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Return to Deep Island